VOGONS

My 486 Computer

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HardwareExtreme, I am running MS-DOS 6.22 on this machine, on HD0. Everything is perfectly configured for MS-DOS games and low-level programming work. However, on HD1, I am planning to install a copy of Windows 98 just to see the AMD 5x86 CPU at work. By the way, it arrived and I have installed it. A major performance boost over the Intel 486 DX4/100MHz part. I have added a 3rd 4.3Gb Quantim hard disk but I have nothing installed on this one. It is not partitioned and it is disconnected for the moment.

filipetolhuizen, the keyboard is indeed awful at games. Even at programming. But unfortunately it's all I have of this vintage. I'm still hunting for a nice keyboard...

ODwilly, this is indeed some great news! I have put the Katmai at work and it runs barely warm to the touch with the attached stock cooler. The radiator is a big OEM aluminum brick. I should try to see whether it's running stable without the buzzing cooler. Otherwise it's a good machine. However it's video is awfully slow (Riva TNT).

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16

Reply 22 of 25, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have an exceptionally trained eye! Indeed it is from a Compaq SLT 386/20MHz that was my first laptop in the mid 90s (a bit late, I know). Unfortunately the laptop died back in 2000 (power supply failure) and I have sourced the keyboard, exchanged the cable to a standard AT one. I've kept it for all these years due to it's small footprint. It is not a good keyboard, by any means, but it does it's job up until I'll find a classic era mechanical keyboard.

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16

Reply 23 of 25, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might try one of my 5x86 processors for Windows 98 too. Surprisingly, those could actually outperform the first Pentium 1s. And, are you going to try a Pentium Overdrive in your machine?

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 25 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:

oh my god I LOVE that case. My cousin used to have the same one an when I was a kid I loved to play Start Trek Judgement Rites or 25th Anniversary on it 😁

Great games! Still play them on my PowerMac. His machine should also be able to run them out of the box.