VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mean Hamster Software released a collection of 15 games from First Star Software called First Star Software’s Greatest Hits in the past. The initial press release stated Atari (8bit/16bit), Commodore 64 and MS-DOS ports would be included for each game. But I have been unable to find any detailed information on what exactly was included, only images of the covert art and insert.

Can anyone confirm exactly what ports are offered for each game? I'm especially interested in the MS-DOS ports, as the original PC Booter releases are difficult to find now.

Also are the games contained in the installer files, or as separate files on the CD which can be used without the installer?

Reply 1 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like 14 games to me:
*Astro Chase
*Boulder Dash Vol. 1
*Boulder Dash Vol. 2: Rockford's Revenge
*Boulder Dash Construction Kit
*Bristles
*BOiNG!
*Flip & Flop
*Millenium Warriors
*Omnicron Conspiracy
*Panic Button
*Rent Wars
*Rockford
*Security Alert
*U.S. Adventure

Looks like it's still for sale on Amazon UK to UK only: http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Star-Softwares- … s/dp/B00537XDDG

Can't find any info on which ports are included either. However, you could always email Mean Hamster or First Star Software to get a response.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 5, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Looks like 14 games to me:

The list of games included is clear, just not which ports are provided for each game.

Stiletto wrote:

Looks like it's still for sale on Amazon UK to UK only: http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Star-Softwares- … s/dp/B00537XDDG

The collection is still available on eBay UK too, but not blind buying.

Stiletto wrote:

Can't find any info on which ports are included either. However, you could always email Mean Hamster or First Star Software to get a response.

Mean Hamsters email address bounces, I already tried emailing them before posting this message.

Besides I would rather a personal overview about the contents, especially whether the MS-DOS versions are originals (not cracked), and complete (PC Jr and Tandy support).

Reply 3 of 5, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried emailing First Star Software, and their response was:

Unfortunately, we don't have any copies left of First Star Software's Greatest Hits.
(There was only one version of each title on the disc.)

Thank you again for writing and your interest in our older titles.

So I doubt any MS-DOS versions are included at all, I expect each game uses either the Atari or Commodore 64 port. Which is very disappointing, after the press release promised multiple versions would be provided for each game.

I wish more older games would get re-releases, tracking down very old games, and reading copy protected disks is a pain.

Reply 4 of 5, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of which: what were the original versions of Boulder Dash? Based on the technical capabilities used, I would say Boulder Dash 1 was for the Atari, but Boulder Dash 2 was for the C64 (more colorful title screen, plus it only looks sensible with the C64's 0.75 pixel aspect ratio).

Given that no publicly available PCjr-supporting emulator emulates copy-protected disks, I did not expect that they would include original PC booter versions.