VOGONS

First post, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey folks,
I have attempted to make the switch on my PB Legend 286 to a 128MB CF card and it isn't liking it. I have done all that I have read to make it work, barring the fact that most of the DDO software is for 386. I have the BIOS set to a 100MB drive which FDISK found on DOS 5 and 6.22. Formatted the CF after FDISK with both DOS versions and the operation fails when it hits the COMMAND.COM file, mainly writing it to the CF, on both versions of DOS. All other DOS files are written to the CF, I can DIR the C: and see all the files after booting with DOS floppy. I have also done the FDISK /MBR as well. Any other ideas that I havent tried or maybe missed?

Thanks in advance

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 1 of 19, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I presume you are using the "format /s" command to make the CF bootable. If so, what happens if you format without the "/s" switch, then afterwards use the "sys" command? Does command.com still fail to copy then?

Reply 2 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I didn't use the /s, I must have missed that in reading the ton of posts here and there on the webz. Will try it and see.

EDIT ::
Did the format /s and it did get the COMMAND.COM on the CF.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 3 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to boot to CF and it gives me a Non-System error. Tried a reinstall of 6.22, failed at COMMAND.COM again. Restart yielded the Non-System again.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 5 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will run the install again but its something like Read and write fail to drive C.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 6 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An error occured while reading or writing to drive c:

Try operation again
Fail operation

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 7 of 19, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my current thinking is that the old IDE controller in the computer doesn't support the revision of ATA commands the CF card requires to properly boot. But, I have no personal experience with using a CF card as a hard drive, so I cannot say for certain if this is the case or not. I'll have to step aside and let someone more knowledgeable than me assist you.

Reply 8 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It also might be related to the CF card itself. A setup I put together for example, can easily boot with a 2GB CF card that I have from the days of my Nikon D70, but rejects booting from another 2GB card that I bought cheap recently. The first one is a genuine card that I purchased in the past, but the second one is most probably a fake that I purchased from ebay recently (although all the test software I tried on it says it's ok, just slower than advertised).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 19, by Trevize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've ran into the same problem previously (although with a 2 GB CF card). My temporary solution was to install a Dynamic drive overlay software (at the moment of writing this post, I can't tell you, which one, but I'm going to check it). It made possible not just to boot from the CF card but to see the whole GBs.

My final solution will be to use XTIDE as some forum members have already pointed me out int my post. It is an open source ROM file, which must be burned into an EPROM and placed inside an ISA card that can boot from the EPROM (typically a network card.) It makes possible for old machines (even an XT) to use and boot from multi gigabyte hard drives.

Reply 10 of 19, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello. Look at what I had posted here and give it a try.

Also, you could try using the card on a newer system which can auto detect the disk's settings in BIOS and use those instead of setting it as a 100MB drive.

Reply 11 of 19, by Trevize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Markk wrote:

Also, you could try using the card on a newer system which can auto detect the disk's settings in BIOS and use those instead of setting it as a 100MB drive.

In my case it didn't help. When I configured my 486 (using the very same IO card from the 286) to use the same CHS values as the type 47 of the 286 , it was able to handle the drive perfectly: it had no read errors.
I came to the conslusion that it must be the 286 BIOS, that is unable to handle the CF.

Reply 12 of 19, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a 128MB CF card on my 286. In the beginning I had set the drive's properties by using the trial and error method. I tried various numbers that made the size ~120 MB, until one combination seemed to work fine. I had it like this for about 3 years while the drive was almost empty. Recently tried to fill it with games, and when it passed the 60-70 MB point I started having lots of errors. So I figured out that it had something to do with the drive's properties. I removed the card, inserted it on my 386 which has AMI BIOS with auto-detect function, detected it right away, made a note with the settings, copied them to the 286 BIOS, repartitioned and formatted the drive and after that it worked as it should. I think that a 486 and a Pentium BIOS detected it with different settings. I don't know if that is a problem.

Reply 13 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so the steps I am seeing are as follows...

Install CF to newer model to get info, set info into BIOS
Run Clearhdd
FDISK or FDISK /MBR?
Format and install or Format /s then install?

::Torindkflt--- Thanks for the info at the beginning.

::Trevize--- I have tried a few Dynamics but they are built for 386 or newer. If you know of one that will work on a 286, point me that way . I have no skills for doing the EPROM stuff, I would do more harm than good I think. I have read about that on a few posts though.

:: Markk--- Thanks for the info.

::Tayyare--- I have a 2GB 133x from Team Group, but I haven't tried it out in the 286 yet. Will try it if the 128MB one fails after all this work.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 14 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I booted the 286 with a DOS installation disk 1, put the floppy with Clearhdd on it in and ran the program.... nothing happened 🙁
I typed it in as Clearhdd 0 and as 1... just to make sure.
C drive CF shows up with the files I had on it already.

Edit:::
I figured it out, idiot mode was engaged at the time I think 🤣

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 15 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After a successful clearhdd and another failed install I am left with three possible solutions.

1. I just use the original hard drive until it fails.
2. Try a 2GB CF which the BIOS won't find I am sure, or buy another smaller CF.
3. I maybe find a fellow 286 user that can do the EPROM burn for me.

Other than that I think I am stuck in my predicament. 🤣

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 17 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any brand have better results than others or is it all hit and miss?

Was thinking maybe a 256MB Transcend

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 18 of 19, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have thrown the CF card option on the back burner, although I still want it to work.
I rummaged through my old IDE drives to try a 100MB fdisk drive on and capacity the BIOS can't use, instead I find a 425MB WD Caviar 2420. Figured what the heck.

Installed, set BIOS manually (it registered as 405), ran Clearhdd, FDISK into a 200mb and a 205mb, Installed 6.22, rebooted and waited for it to yell at me or do nothing.

IT'S ALIVE !!!!! 😁

Time to install DOS drivers for ct1740 SB16
Tryout the Direct Access 5.19 software, original drive has 4.1 on it
Start playin my 286 games that won't run on anything but a 286 🤣

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 19 of 19, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice.

Regarding the CF card issue, the one I had bought and works flawlessly is lexar 128MB. One like these :http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk … 8mb+cf&_sacat=0