VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 228, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To fuel the pyre... I have something worth hiding.
Something called "My private life", wich is mine and is private.
My photo's, my essay's, my notes, my own recording's of my dead grandmother.
Those are only for my eye's, and those I choose to show it too.

That's private life. And if they want to look and hear and see.
They better knock on my door with a warrent for the house and another for the computer.
My private life is worth hiding from corporations and the gouvernment.

Use Linux, encrypt the harddrive and use encrypted internet connection.
That's my next move, when Win7 is not updated anymore.

Last edited by brostenen on 2015-07-31, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23 of 228, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

Hint from outer space - Back up data offline

True... All my pictures of my family is on my USB-Harddrive. Not any NAS or Cloud.

Reply 24 of 228, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I keep some of my most important files (pictures, mainly) in triplicate. On two hard drives, and a big binder full of DVDs (ugh).

Any word on whether you can upgrade a Windows 10 Preview machine to Windows 10 retail? Last I heard they were "hoping" you'd be able to do that.

In other news: The Lenovo T61 is an instant classic. Even the lower spec R61 was the last generation workhorse at my office. It makes for a great moderate use business class laptop, especially with the big 1680x1050 LCD.

Reply 25 of 228, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to put it on my TV PC / Server straight away. But wondering if the storage spaces Raid 1 array will also transfer. Is storage spaces back in Windows 10?

But the update isn't offered yet. I mean I've reserved it and everything, but it seems Australia might receive it a little bit later. Not going to put it on my main desktop just yet. It's got 8.1 and everything is working great.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 26 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

I'm already doing two of those three.

brostenen wrote:

I won't be waiting for Win7 to go EOL to make the switch. The writing is on the wall and has been for a very long time. If you value your privacy, you need to switch to a FOSS OS.

I'll probably dual-boot with Win7 or Win10 just to use it as a game launcher.

Reply 27 of 228, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a test install of 10/pro on a separate HDD. I must say the new windows look great ! especially after the train wreck win8 has been. The new start menu is really nice and it's the same as my windows phone 🤣. IMHO that's how win8 should have been.

All that "cloud/sharing/uploading/location/advertising ID" stuff is scary though. There were some options during installation, deactivated all data sharing. I also made a local user and not that online ms account. I am pretty sure some apps will emerge that will take care of that.

TBH the only thing that keeps me from truly upgrading are the privacy and update stuff that get auto-shoved down your throat without a question. Haven't decided what to do just yet, my main pc is a 2600k/660gtx-ti - no real DX12 support AFAIK - and I really don't game on pc nowdays - like an old git I just got a PS4 and enjoy couch gaming sessions. Will probably stick to 7/pro until the privacy stuff can be patched or something.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29 of 228, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:
I'm already doing two of those three. […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

I'm already doing two of those three.

brostenen wrote:

I won't be waiting for Win7 to go EOL to make the switch. The writing is on the wall and has been for a very long time. If you value your privacy, you need to switch to a FOSS OS.

I'll probably dual-boot with Win7 or Win10 just to use it as a game launcher.

If you wait too long to upgrade, you'll end up having to pay for it instead of getting it for free if you upgrade now. Waiting until Windows 7/8 go EOL is only going to cost you money. What's going to end up happening is that Microsoft is moving to the walled garden model of software distribution the same way Apple does it so if you go to Linux or any other operating system, you'll be missing out on most software releases. You can bet Microsoft will be pressuring developers to release software on Windows only and not Linux if they want to sell to Windows users through Microsoft's online store.

Reply 30 of 228, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AidanExamineer wrote:

Any word on whether you can upgrade a Windows 10 Preview machine to Windows 10 retail? Last I heard they were "hoping" you'd be able to do that.

My surface pro 3 was on the preview and got the ram release ok. Build ends with 10240. I got it a few days before release, you have the option to turn off future insider releases at this point.

Reply 31 of 228, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm waiting to upgrade until there's more info about how it works with all of the Windows 98 to Windows 8.1 software which has come before, and until I have a second hard drive so I can install it there and not worry about screwing up my Windows 8.1 setup.

Being a game developer though, it's fairly important that I find out how well my stuff runs on it as soon as possible so I'm definitely going to try and get upgraded before the free year is up. Still, I already know what I'm writing now will work flawlessly on XP through 8.1. (Had to shove video configuration into its own separate unskippable startup window to avoid a Windows 8/8.1 bug with Allegro and OpenGL rendering, but otherwise, no other OS-specific issues!)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 33 of 228, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm no longer worried about my email privacy since I switched email providers. I have the new Hillary Clinton self-destructing email server. When the shit hits the fan it blows up and I just say, "I don't know."

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 34 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

If you wait too long to upgrade, you'll end up having to pay for it instead of getting it for free if you upgrade now.

I seem to remember similar threats regarding Win8. I saved my $30 and have not yet regretted it.

sliderider wrote:

Waiting until Windows 7/8 go EOL is only going to cost you money. What's going to end up happening is that Microsoft is moving to the walled garden model of software distribution the same way Apple does it so if you go to Linux or any other operating system, you'll be missing out on most software releases. You can bet Microsoft will be pressuring developers to release software on Windows only and not Linux if they want to sell to Windows users through Microsoft's online store.

the-more-you-tighten-your-grip.jpg

You know, I don't think MS wants me as a customer anymore. I hate to say it, but I think I might finally be crossing over into the non-mainstream. So maybe I don't want MS to provide my OS anymore either. For me, it just means I learn a new OS. For MS, it means they lose the enthusiasts and hobbyists that made them who they are. So, who do you think will win this race to the bottom? MS or Apple? From what I can see, Apple has a 15-year head start. Not only that, they at least feign value their supplicants' privacy.

I might humbly suggest that Apple has been wallowing with the pigs for the better part of two decades and MS doesn't even know where the sty is located. My evidence: Zune and Win8. Win10 is at least ten years late to the party if they wanted to capture the 'tard market. In this horse race, my bets are on Apple. The market MS is targeting with Win8/8.1/10 is not their primary customer: corporations and businesses. They've already lost the mainstream customers and won't be winning them back without a complete rebranding.

I've said it before: MS has opened a chink in its armor and allowed the opportunity for a new competitor to emerge. That Valve is not taking advantage of this blows my mind. If ever there was an opportunity for Steam to gain traction as an OS, this was it.

I intend to evaluate Win10 and decide if it is worth my time and trust. If not, I'll back off to Win7 and figure out which flavor of Linux I'll be using instead. I value my privacy more than I value ease-of-use.

Reply 35 of 228, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Confidential data should be protected during input, storage and transfer, as well as keeping track where is it used and to whom it is accessible.

Yes, but if the operating system you use installs a keylogger that is active by default, and has a clause in the user agreement that says that under certain circumstances they are allowed to shared and pass on everything on your hard drive, how exactly do you protect said data?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 36 of 228, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would I be able to do on Windows 10 that I wouldn't be able to on Windows 7? I've skipped Vista altogether, and only upgraded from XP to 7 when XP was getting obsolete for software and driver support. I've been really satisfied with Windows 7 and never saw any reason to upgrade to 8 or 8.1 - all the software and devices I use or the few games I play run perfectly fine on 7. As long as this continue to be the case I don't see really any reason to upgrade to 10...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 37 of 228, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Confidential data should be protected during input, storage and transfer, as well as keeping track where is it used and to whom it is accessible.

Yes, but if the operating system you use installs a keylogger that is active by default, and has a clause in the user agreement that says that under certain circumstances they are allowed to shared and pass on everything on your hard drive, how exactly do you protect said data?

By not using that operating system and environment for processing of said data.
No one wants somebodies pictures and cat videos, nor are big players interested into classic user individuals. Business is one thing, home usage is another. Every system has security holes, that's why the end user is the most important aspect of security.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 38 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

What would I be able to do on Windows 10 that I wouldn't be able to on Windows 7? I've skipped Vista altogether, and only upgraded from XP to 7 when XP was getting obsolete for software and driver support. I've been really satisfied with Windows 7 and never saw any reason to upgrade to 8 or 8.1 - all the software and devices I use or the few games I play run perfectly fine on 7. As long as this continue to be the case I don't see really any reason to upgrade to 10...

I remember saying something similar back when Win95 came out: "What will Win95 be doing for you that Win3.1 cannot?" Of course, time moves on and so will you and I. However, Win10 is not the game-changing OS that Win9x was. The only change this OS will make is which sides the players choose to be on. Back then, I switched leagues and used OS/2 until it was no longer viable.

Overall I agree with you, except that I was never satisfied with Win7. I only tolerated it and felt that it was, at best, a lateral move to a currently-supported OS. For every improvement over XP, there were equal steps backwards. I still haven't found a (free) replacement for Windows Explorer that doesn't frustrate me to some extent.

Reply 39 of 228, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like I have not been clear. I was not saying that I wanted to get Win10 after Win7 EOL....
What I actually said was. I am not going for Win10 at all.

It clearly have some nice stuff and looks great. Yet you give so much more valuable away for mere 🤣 convenience.

As one critics in the roman empire stated in around 100ad: Bread and circusses.

Last edited by brostenen on 2015-08-01, 08:39. Edited 1 time in total.