VOGONS

Common searches

Topic actions

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Post any relevant comments on this release in here.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 34, by nhesterr

User metadata

blazing speed, but Dungeon Master 2 won't work anymore.
in .61 i was using GUS emu to run dm2, and it works great. now, when i use GUS for digital sound, game crushes with this error:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

if i use sb emulation instead, game have no sound...

Reply 3 of 34, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Full screen with double buffering is VERY slow, like less than half speed. Something has gone wrong here.

Double buffering shouldn't make an impact if you are able to achieve at least 70 FPS (ie. full speed emulation at the cycles you are running)... but it's now become practically unusable... there must be a problem with the implementation (and triple buffering would be better in any case).

Reply 4 of 34, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ctrl+F1 works without error for me.
Fullscreen double buffering works fast (I reccomend to use overlay,ddraw or opengl output for that).
DM2 sound works if you set the game to SBPro in setup.

Reply 5 of 34, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Full-screen mode crashes when VGA switches to 720 pixel mode, or when switching to full-screen mode when in 720 pixel mode (segmentation fault)
2) Ctrl-F1 crashes (segmentation fault)
3) User definable characters are not displayed at all (in 0.61 they were displayed as "normal" characters)

So far,

JAL

Reply 8 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The same DLL, crashes both 0.62rc1 and 0.62. Sorry for not reporting it before, I worked on a different computer than now and it either worked there ok or I did not try keymapper with it 🙁 (I use my own builds most of the time anyway and I have there a different DLL).

Mirek

Reply 9 of 34, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
jal wrote:
1) Full-screen mode crashes when VGA switches to 720 pixel mode, or when switching to full-screen mode when in 720 pixel mode (s […]
Show full quote

1) Full-screen mode crashes when VGA switches to 720 pixel mode, or when switching to full-screen mode when in 720 pixel mode (segmentation fault)
2) Ctrl-F1 crashes (segmentation fault)
3) User definable characters are not displayed at all (in 0.61 they were displayed as "normal" characters)

So far,

JAL

2) confirmed with more people
1) does happen as well with a different SDL ?
which output did you select ?

3) example ? what are userdefinable characters ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@guest above: Unlike previously, DOSBOX 0.62 uses *always* English QWERTY keyboard (regardless of your setting in Windows).
It is not a bug, it is feature 😀. Use keyboard mapper to map keyboard to whatever you want.

Mirek

Reply 13 of 34, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirekluza wrote:

@guest above: Unlike previously, DOSBOX 0.62 uses *always* English QWERTY keyboard (regardless of your setting in Windows).
It is not a bug, it is feature 😀. Use keyboard mapper to map keyboard to whatever you want.

Mirek

The key mapper doesn't work well with non letter characters at the moment. I'd recommend FreeDOS keyb2.0 (check the readme).

Reply 14 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Srecko wrote:

I now also noticed the CTRL+F1 crash.
Bit it happens only if "surface" output is set in dosbox.conf
If anything else(ddraw,opengl,overlay) is set, keymapper works !

Yes, it is precisely like that in my case. "surface" seems to be broken with the provided SDL.DLL (at least on the computer I am using now), other output modes work ok.

Mirek

Reply 15 of 34, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

1) does happen as well with a different SDL ?
which output did you select ?

Yes, it also happens with the SDL provided with DOSBox 0.61 (which, as reported, solves the Ctrl-F1 crash). I used dosbox.conf "out of the box" as it comes with Windows installer, so no special output settings.

Qbix wrote:

3) example ? what are userdefinable characters ?

I mean redefining the character map, either by BIOS int 10h calls or by directly accessing plane 3 and 4 when in textmode, e.g. what many DOS programs used to display a "graphical" mouse cursor. I have only two programs at hand that use it, an old copy of Sourcer and the MOD editor PolyTracker (the latter using 512 character mode, I'm not sure about Sourcer), so I'm not sure if this problem is linked to a specific way of setting the characters.

JAL

Reply 16 of 34, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I wanted to ask about the keymapper, but both suggested solutions worked, thanks, btw, is this bug serious enough to release a 0.62a?

Well, now I have two questions:
a. Will the older SDL.dll deprive me some of 0.62's new features? Or is it exactly the same even though it is different in size?

b. (And please don't flame me for this) I can't get a windows98 boot disk image to boot, it seem to not recognize the command.com, this is how it's supposed to be, right?

Oh yea, I forgot to say how much this version rocks! especially the boot option, and although I haven't tried these yet, the much awaited keymapper and the imgmount options 😀

Reply 17 of 34, by JT - Guest

User metadata

Thank you very much for the new release.

The whole non-US keyboard fairy tale is a severe inconvenience. I use a german keyboard and it's a mess typing characters like german umlauts. Example: Pressing SHIFT+Ö on a german keyboard will yield a colon ":". Having the locales (I use Linux) set to something non-US I am not able to get a ":" (pressing umlaut keys will yield nothing, as if no key was pressed) but it is needed for the drive letters. The same happens when pressing the key "#" - nothing (should yield "\"). In X I avoid it by invoking "setxkbmap us" but this changes my keyboard to US layout globally - bad when playing and switching to other applications. Why isn't dosbox able to accept my keyboard? And please don't answer I should deal with this keymapper stuff - it is in vain in console mode.

Reply 19 of 34, by himhum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i forgot to mention: i use gnu/linux, gentoo to be exact, and a german thinkpad-keyboard-layout.

edit: i noticed that somehow midi and normal sound doesn't work with z. both for themselves work, i.e. the setsound-program coming with z plays midi and sound. the cutscenes work too, but ingame and in the menu, when midi and normal sound should play at the same time, no sound is played.

i hadn't had any problems with sound @z in dosbox-0.61.

Last edited by himhum on 2004-10-01, 12:53. Edited 2 times in total.