Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8620 of 52813, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it come from Japan?:)
I guess, I was among your competitors there!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 8621 of 52813, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

Could be possible, three auctions closed recently:
http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/clos … lider=0&auccat=

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8622 of 52813, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really into laptops and generally unless they are cheap and pre Pentium I'll usually pass them by but today I saw a texas instruments travelmate 4000m with a 486DX4 75mhz and I had to grab it. only issue is there was no PSU's so I have no idea if it actually works. it requires a 18v PSU and the only ones I found at the thrift were 12v. I tried it anyways and it did start to power up but then shut down, I'm guessing (hoping) only due to lack of enough voltage.

unfortunately only PSU I have at home that isn't 12v is a 19v for a newer laptop but I don't feel like risking it.

Reply 8623 of 52813, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 (ADAFX51CEP5AK) (2003) (It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!) Just need to find a socket 940 motherboard now...) ht […]
Show full quote

AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 (ADAFX51CEP5AK) (2003) (It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!) Just need to find a socket 940 motherboard now...)
2UXK7E.jpg

Nice!! I probably use my FX60 more than any of my other machines to this day. I love it. Blazing fast with mid-late 2000s stuff and it is still fine with modern web browsing and other programs. In my opinion the FX50/60 line is a true classic and should be in the CPU hall of fame. 😊

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 8624 of 52813, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
petro89 wrote:

Nice!! I probably use my FX60 more than any of my other machines to this day. I love it. Blazing fast with mid-late 2000s stuff and it is still fine with modern web browsing and other programs. In my opinion the FX50/60 line is a true classic and should be in the CPU hall of fame. 😊

Thanks! I echo your comments. I never owned one of these beasts back in the day, going from a 2.8Ghz P4 to an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz Socket 939 Toledo. I always wanted to see how this single core chip compared to the higher end P4s of the time, especially the extreme versions. I just need to track down some buffered memory and a socket 940 board - not seeing too many affordable boards out there currently. Seems this socket found a home in many server boards at the time.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8625 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
petro89 wrote:

Thanks! I echo your comments. I never owned one of these beasts back in the day, going from a 2.8Ghz P4 to an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz Socket 939 Toledo. I always wanted to see how this single core chip compared to the higher end P4s of the time, especially the extreme versions. I just need to track down some buffered memory and a socket 940 board - not seeing too many affordable boards out there currently. Seems this socket found a home in many server boards at the time.

Just so you know, 940 is server-only socket. And designed for multi-socket / dual-cpu boards mainly. Any and all socket 940 boards you find will be very basic. That is, no overclocking what so ever. It's a "work station" class socket, not consumer grade. At least this is my general finding in a couple years searching. Even though the CPU's are supposedly supposed to have unlocked multipliers (I think?) they still don't support clocking em up in most boards, I think. I might be wrong though.

Reply 8626 of 52813, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Artex wrote:
petro89 wrote:

Just so you know, 940 is server-only socket. And designed for multi-socket / dual-cpu boards mainly. Any and all socket 940 boards you find will be very basic. That is, no overclocking what so ever. It's a "work station" class socket, not consumer grade. At least this is my general finding in a couple years searching. Even though the CPU's are supposedly supposed to have unlocked multipliers (I think?) they still don't support clocking em up in most boards, I think. I might be wrong though.

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus with these processors. It's okay by me - I never overclock this old stuff anyway. I'd like to get my hands on the Asus SK8V if I can source one locally (US).

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8627 of 52813, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
hard1k wrote:

Could be possible, three auctions closed recently:
http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/clos … lider=0&auccat=

No, from Germany (ebay Kleinanzeigen). A lot cheaper than those auctions (30€ + shipping).
I suppose cards sold in other countries won't include German manuals?

Reply 8628 of 52813, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

Joined the Roland club. SCP-55 for a fair price (I assume, those seem to be too uncommon to have a going rate?), including software, manuals and MCB-3. Sorry for the quality of the photo. (Forgot the manual for DoReMix on the photo.)

I tried to test it in my Dell Latitude D600 under XP (that's what I had at hand), it gets detected. I tried to force the MPU-401 driver, but the IRQ is stuck at "?", none of the available settings is accepted. Since that was just a test it is not too important, but if anybody has suggestions to make please do! I'll try Win98 next, either on the D600 or on an older PII notebook. (I realise that's still not completely period correct.)

Only works in DOS/Win3.x/Win9x, HP Palmtops, and really old Linux drivers are available.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 8629 of 52813, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CGS_0796.jpg

-NEC PC-FX GA, pretty much the PC-FX on an ISA card and fully supports being used as a devkit
-Japanese system 7.6 software disc for the Power Macintosh 8600/9600
-Strange little PCI video card with an S3 Vision 968 chipset, 4mb VRAM and alongside the VGA connector it has a 13W3 connector.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8630 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got these freebies today:

- a 8088 mobo with fpu and full ram (no idea about model or ram size - I assume 640kb) , the pcb states "10mhz Turbo Board" "SM-215B2"
edit: looks like this is a close match: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … ml#.VcpAxlVsFBc

WP_20150811_021_zpsq7v8g0yi.jpg

- what I believe to be a CGA card

WP_20150811_017_zps4bkfy7fi.jpg

- what I believe to be an ide(?)/floppy controller card

WP_20150811_019_zpsx8izy85f.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8631 of 52813, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last board on photo - more like a MFM disk controller.
8-bit ide is very rare and cost a lot of money.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 8632 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes ofcourse, it must be mfm ... maybe all 3 were in use with the mobo

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8633 of 52813, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Artex wrote:

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus with these processors. It's okay by me - I never overclock this old stuff anyway. I'd like to get my hands on the Asus SK8V if I can source one locally (US).

I have my FX60 paired with a Foxconn6100K8MA. I got the board for a song years ago and it basically sat dormant until I I realized it supported both dual core opterons and the FX line. It has been running perfectly for me for years without a hiccup.

Here is the site:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.a … &U=en-us0000037

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 8634 of 52813, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice score Keropi!! I wish i could find that kind of stuff easily.

I wouldn't mind the MFM controller so much unless you wanna be 100% time period accurate. Believe me there are other stuff you need to worry about.

I'd reccomend you to go with XT-IDE. I posted on bjt's IBM 5160 thread uploads of XT-IDE BIOSes with support for High Density floppy drives. Will make your life so much easier.

Reply 8635 of 52813, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Got these freebies today: […]
Show full quote

Got these freebies today:

- a 8088 mobo with fpu and full ram (no idea about model or ram size - I assume 640kb) , the pcb states "10mhz Turbo Board" "SM-215B2"
edit: looks like this is a close match: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … ml#.VcpAxlVsFBc

WP_20150811_021_zpsq7v8g0yi.jpg

- what I believe to be a CGA card

WP_20150811_017_zps4bkfy7fi.jpg

- what I believe to be an ide(?)/floppy controller card

WP_20150811_019_zpsx8izy85f.jpg

The first board is from DTK.. Its written on the bios sticker.. The bios is from erso (maybe made one for DTK specially.)

I found this what is very close: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/10%20 … 20Mainboard.pdf

Brand seems to be PIM.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8636 of 52813, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought one CF->IDE adapter, one of those that lets you access the card in the back of the PC as if it were an expansion board... I bought it through eBay from China, and it took its seet time to arrive, over two months. Aparently I can't even leave feedback anymore, which is a shame, the seller did post it immediately.

Oh, and apparently I forgot to buy a CF card with it, oh well... that 486 still isn't ready to take over my DOS 6.22 duties anyway. I'm still deciding on a sound card. CF cards aren't hard to find. Anything should be better than the ~ 700MB HDD that came with the system.

Reply 8637 of 52813, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:
idspispopd wrote:

Joined the Roland club. SCP-55 for a fair price (I assume, those seem to be too uncommon to have a going rate?), including software, manuals and MCB-3. Sorry for the quality of the photo. (Forgot the manual for DoReMix on the photo.)

I tried to test it in my Dell Latitude D600 under XP (that's what I had at hand), it gets detected. I tried to force the MPU-401 driver, but the IRQ is stuck at "?", none of the available settings is accepted. Since that was just a test it is not too important, but if anybody has suggestions to make please do! I'll try Win98 next, either on the D600 or on an older PII notebook. (I realise that's still not completely period correct.)

Only works in DOS/Win3.x/Win9x, HP Palmtops, and really old Linux drivers are available.

I know that there is official/unofficial support for the OSes you mention. I have also read the thread in your signature.
My point is that the SCP-55 implements a standard (UART-mode only) MPU-401 interface. (Otherwise DOS games/applications wouldn't work.) XP contains a generic MPU-401 driver (hardware vendor given is "Microsoft". So it might be possible to use the MIDI synth in XP, just not the digital wave audio (which is not important since notebooks suitable for XP usually already contain an audio solution). I suppose this method should also work with Win98 (assuming that also contains a generic MPU-401 driver.
I suppose if XP could manage to assign an interrupt to the card it should work fine. I think I have even read a report that this works somewhere, but I can't find it any more. Wouldn't help much anyway since no special tricks were mentioned IIRC.

Reply 8638 of 52813, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whenever I buy something through china I always backburner whatever the item is for for a month. It NEVER arrives within two weeks or so.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8639 of 52813, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Whenever I buy something through china I always backburner whatever the item is for for a month. It NEVER arrives within two weeks or so.

I received two of these Gotek floppy emulators from China yesterday... only 9 days after ordering 😳