VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1040 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Yeah, the AMD Catalyst drivers require running in a non-native resolution before you can set the scaling options.

Not since Cat 14.12

The problem is not that the scaling settings are not available but that they have no effect on dgVoodoo. They work fine if I run the same games in native mode.

Reply 1043 of 3949, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is my Incoming Tweak Guide video

The first part, when I show how to fix it on AMD cards, is captured on that notebook with AMD APU E-450 processor. It keeps the correct aspect ratio (1024 x 768 on a 1366x768 display).

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1044 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scaling is NOT working correctly with D3D10 and 11 since ever on Radeon GPUs 😁 It's a D3D10/11 problem (feature) :p
It's why NVidia has the "forcing" option.

There's some games where the scaling is not working on GeForce too, despite that option: STALKER CS (D3D10), STALKER CoP (D3D10/11) and Survarium.

Last edited by lowenz on 2015-08-10, 09:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1045 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Yeah, the AMD Catalyst drivers require running in a non-native resolution before you can set the scaling options.

Not since Cat 14.12

The problem is not that the scaling settings are not available but that they have no effect on dgVoodoo. They work fine if I run the same games in native mode.

'cause dgVoodoo is a D3D11 wrapper.

Reply 1046 of 3949, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still think it would be best if dgVoodoo it had its own aspect-preserving scaling mode built in. As you can see relying on drivers to do it is shaky at best. I can't get aspect ratio scaling on my Intel builtin graphics either. Is it not as simple as taking the unscaled mode and stretching it accordingly?

Reply 1048 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

"Use centered timings" does work though 😀

If your're NOT using the native resolution in Windows.

Unreal 226 (D3D7 original renderer) 1280x960 + dgVoodoo:

*Monitor native resolution 1920x1080 @1920x1080 -> 1280x960 is stretched to full monitor either with "Aspect Ratio" and "Centered Timings".
*Monitor native resolution 1920x1080 @1680x1050 -> 1280x960 is stretched to full monitor with "Aspect Ratio"
*Monitor native resolution 1920x1080 @1680x1050 -> 1280x960 is CORRECT with "Centered Timings".

Reply 1051 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
lowenz wrote:
leileilol wrote:

"Use centered timings" does work though 😀

If your're NOT using the native resolution in Windows.

except I am. I am experiencing all this at 1920x1080.

I am talking about Catalyst scaling options with dgVoodoo set to "unspecified". Are you talking about dgVoodoo scaling options? 'Cause with Catalyst Centered + dgVoodoo Centered the centered mode is working at native resolution too.

Reply 1052 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm back from holiday and have read the conversion about scaling problems.

Indeed, it seems to be a depressing problem in general and the only solution would be an internal stretching method built in dgVoodoo.
If the native resolution of a monitor or display can be detected then it could be done.

I don't really understand the supposed theory of lacking the properly strecthed output for >=DX10 (such as a modern DX app is aware of this issue and can do its own work for this, based on the used resolution) because the physical aspect ratio of a given display can't be detected from just a resolution. For example, from the viewpoint of an app, DX reports that res 1024x768 is supported, ok, but it doesn't describe the aspect ratio of the output used. The only reliable point is the native resolution, I think.

Reply 1053 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

I don't really understand the supposed theory of lacking the properly strecthed output for >=DX10 (such as a modern DX app is aware of this issue and can do its own work for this, based on the used resolution) because the physical aspect ratio of a given display can't be detected from just a resolution. For example, from the viewpoint of an app, DX reports that res 1024x768 is supported, ok, but it doesn't describe the aspect ratio of the output used. The only reliable point is the native resolution, I think.

The DirectX 11 wrapper made for X-Wing Alliance is able to maintain aspect ratio. The sourcecode is available for download.
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

Reply 1054 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

Indeed, it seems to be a depressing problem in general and the only solution would be an internal stretching method built in dgVoodoo.
If the native resolution of a monitor or display can be detected then it could be done.

It's the best route anyway since GPU scaling doesn't solve the annoying problem of windows being shrunk down to 640x480 or less and icons rearranged to fit 640x480, etc

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1055 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Dege wrote:

It's the best route anyway since GPU scaling doesn't solve the annoying problem of windows being shrunk down to 640x480 or less and icons rearranged to fit 640x480, etc

It would be best to handle/fix this issue along with fake borderless-window fullscreen mode.

Reply 1056 of 3949, by vis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetins to all!
Ty for your work, dege and tnx to all people who helped you! : )
I am posting on vogons first time and wish to directly, here, report one problem that I discovered during testing dgvoodoo 2.45 ver(older ver did give same result) with Turok 2 Seeds of Evil game. It is about mouse bug that is present in single player and multi player, when direct x emulation is in use, try dgvoodoo direct x wrapper. Please look video here, dege, cos my eng. is not good enuf: https://youtu.be/BQ_LavLt03g
Now to say, normal dx 6.1 works without any problem and I already playing T2 MP more then 3 year, so if there was same/similar problem, caused with anything else, I would know. I did test old-new versions of dx wrapper in Diablo 2 LoD and worked perfect, incomparable better then native dx in that game, if we look by fps and stuttering, there was not any mouse bug. I did find 3 bigger bugs, before. One, messed colors when is older then 3xx.xx nvidia driver used (460 gtx) second, in some older ver of wrapper, steam overlay would stay bugged, if game with opened steam overlay menu, was minimized and 3th: games would crash often during minimizing/maximizing process. All 3 bug are now gone, tnx to driver update and fix's that are in latest dgvoodoo warper. What is more positive about dx 1- 7 emulation: when it's used in games, steam overlay working vs original dx mode , when it can't, then Nvidia DSR becomes available and final, most important: it is potential, best solution for any quality, retro gaming on Microsoft OS, newer then win 7 (which I use : ) cause notorious broken support for older dx versions, started from win 8 to latest Yes I talking about locked fps and fps drops... So wish you, all luck on finishing of this great project, dege. Ty and please, help us, considering that small player base which is still active in T2 MP, would benefit from using this software, after successful resolving of this annoying bug. 😀

Last edited by vis on 2015-08-22, 17:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1058 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote:
I have tried dgvoodoo 2.45 with lands of lore 2 In 3dfx mode (use dosbox and dos version): FMV (image and sound) stutter. In d3 […]
Show full quote

I have tried dgvoodoo 2.45 with lands of lore 2
In 3dfx mode (use dosbox and dos version): FMV (image and sound) stutter.
In d3d mode (win95 exe): after 20-25 seconds, FMv is very jerky (1-2 FPS)

impossible to use 3dfx with win95 version

It needs one of Windows' built in compatibility fixes to avoid that. Not sure which though.

Reply 1059 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:

impossible to use 3dfx with win95 version

Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny 3dfx patch is DOS only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).