VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

my efforts to build a good 486 system are kind of ill-fated.
I got a SY-4SAW2 from a british ebay shop (declared as new) and can't get it to work.
no matter what CPU I try (5x86-133, 486SX-25) and what memory or VGA i try I always get the following results:

- when using a VLB VGA card, the board stays completely silent
- when using a ISA or PCI card, it either beeps 1x long and 2x short and then infinite short or its also silent but sometimes makes a very silent noise like a memory count/check makes during POST (but very unsteady and irregular). whether it beeps or makes that memory-check-like sound depends on the memory I put in. I have several 72 pin modules and tried them all (always two matching ones). Maybe the behaviour differs from EDO to FPM, I don't know which are EDO and which are FPM modules.

as far as i know, 1x long and 2x short means video error and infinite loop means some kind of memory error.
I tried several VGA cards which I know that they are working.
I can't tell 100% about the memory modules but I can't imagine that they are all (18 pieces) defective.

any ideas? manual attached.
thank you!!

edit: attached high res pic of the corrosion damage caused by the battery

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0679.JPG
    File size
    2.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    4SAW2 and 4SAW5 USER MANUAL.pdf
    File size
    741.14 KiB
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The corrosion damage does not look bad enough to be the culprit.

Are you sure some of your memory modules are FPM?

This link mentions that this board wont work with EDO.

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/soyo-sy-4saw2-notes/

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 13, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anyone else got an idea?

edit: audio file with POST beep code attached... (rename from txt to m4a)

Attachments

• Filename
    beep.txt
    File size
    92.22 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license

Reply 4 of 13, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looked at the manual, only thing that stood out was bank 3 simm can only be single sided.
Other than that set everything to defaults then adjust as necessary, but I expect You have already
been there done that.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which PCI graphics cards are you trying? Many of these older 486 boards will not work with graphics cards more than a few years newer. Try something simple like S3 Trio. Alternately, for more modern graphics cards, a Voodoo3 or TNT graphics card should work. The chipset on this motherboard does not require memory installation in pairs. Try single sticks of FPM only. I do not beleive the SiS 496/497 chipset will work with EDO. You could also try to flash the BIOS in an external programmer or hot flash it in another motherboard.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 13, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried an old S3 Trio64 - I also tried only to use one FPM stick.

I don't have an external programmer, how do I hot-flash it? Is there some kind of guide somewhere what to be aware of, ...?
thank you!

Reply 9 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Before looking into hot flashing the BIOS, which you need to do this in another motherboard, you should check that the cache jumpers are set correctly, and if so, try swapping the cache modules.

Reply 10 of 13, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Before looking into hot flashing the BIOS, which you need to do this in another motherboard, you should check that the cache jumpers are set correctly, and if so, try swapping the cache modules.

already did that.. 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try removing the cache entirely. A google search for "hot flash BIOS" comes up with a lot of step-by-steps guides.

All of which graphics cards have you tried?

On some motherboards, if the diskette or hard drive cable is plugged in incorrectly, the display won't come up. Remove the cable if you haven't done so already. Look for blue or white corrosion on the SIMMs. I've seen this cause similar problems before. Also remove the BIOS chip and check for corrosion.

How many different types/brands of FPM memory modules have you tried? What other motherboards have you tried them in to ensure functionality? I've seen some types cause problems on SiS 496 boards. Also, test only 4 - 32 MB sticks. Many BIOSes for SiS496 boards do not support 64 MB sticks.

Reply 12 of 13, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think i already tried to remove the cache entirely - didn't change anything.
I have tried the S3 Trio64 PCI, an old OAK OTI077 ISA card and two CL GD5426 VLB cards.
HDD and FDD weren't connected (lose setup on the table for testing purposes). no corrosion on the SIMMs or the BIOS chip.

I have tried two pairs of different FPM modules, all of them 8MB (also tried to use only one module at a time).

BTW i have another Soyo board here (even older, 25K02) which definitely does not support EDO memory but is working with EDO anyway (2x16MB). Somewhere I read that EDO sticks should behave like FPM sticks if the board doesn't support EDO - just a side note, because I tried EDO and FPM modules on the board. All modules I have tried are working in my older Soyo 25K02 board.

Thanks for your effort! I will google for BIOS hot flash when I find a little time.

Reply 13 of 13, by Jose_Luis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi nemail,

That problem about the graphic cards is normal with the old PCI motherboards when you try to use newer graphic card than the motherboard. You can find a compatibility list for this motherboard on: Modern graphics on a 486
¿Could you fix the problem with the Soyo 4SAW2 motherboard?. I recently a 4SAW2 without BIOS, the jumper JP2 is welded on the 1-2 position from the manufacture so that this motherboard only accepts FLASH BIOS. This motherboard should be the last revision in the middle of 1996. Do you know the right EEPROM 1Mb for this motherboard?. If somebody has got this motherboard it'll be easy to see the FLASH BIOS used. Thank you.