VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesterday, I tried to load google.ca, google.com, and yahoo.com using Internet Explorer 6 from within NT4. IE returned that the page was not found or there was a DNS error. Not surprising, bing.com works fine. Google and Yahoo pages work fine with the Opera browser on the same computer. A few months ago, this same 486 computer was able to load google.ca without issue in IE6. I had not turned on the computer again from then until now.

It seems this was an issue back in 2009 and I tried all the forum tricks I could find, but to no resolve. I have never had this problem before. Does Google and Yahoo no longer function on IE6? Can anyone else check this, preferably with NT4? I tried 2 different 486's in NT4, with the same error. Oddly enough, when I boot these computers into Win95, IE 5.5 loads Google Search just fine.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 24, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having the _exact_ same problem myself (on Pentium4 and win98, that is).
Started to happen some time earlier this year, no idea why... while Opera 10.64 and Firefox 2.0 is fine with google.

Reply 2 of 24, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, same here.
And it's not your nt or 486 fault.
It happened to me to a core 2 duo and xp.

I guess age is starting to show it's teeth...

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 3 of 24, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IE 6 might be thinking it can do more advanced SSL, or Google presumes the system is capable of more if on IE6. (Remember, most sites use TLSv1.2 and SNI now.)

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 4 of 24, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not too surprised. Although Google has had a history of working with very old browsers for the longest time.

Nice that bing works for now. My browser of choice for old machines is Opera 9.6

Reply 7 of 24, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

probably new version TLS used by the HTTPS websites which IE6 can't understand.

A SSL-MiTM local-proxy with a self-signed CA certs trick might able to workaround this.
The local-proxy will negotiate with faster/older SSL when dealing the IE, and it will deal with slower/newer SSL when negotiating with the HTTPs websites.

-fffuuu

Reply 8 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Google is already serving up older versions of its site to outdated browsers, so it's a bit strange that a browser shouldn't be able to get anything at all.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29012038

Of course, that was the case last year and things may have changed since then.

Reply 10 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I pulled my dual PIII-850 out of the closet today, which has XP sp3 and IE6 installed. Google loads fine, however Yahoo and Wikipedia do not.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

Not too surprised. Although Google has had a history of working with very old browsers for the longest time.

Maybe plain Google still does. But a lot of the services already declare even IE9 as outdated. Which means that anyone on Vista has to use a third-party browser.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 12 of 24, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Maybe plain Google still does. But a lot of the services already declare even IE9 as outdated. Which means that anyone on Vista has to use a third-party browser.

I'm on Vista now. But I haven't used Internet Exploder on a regular basis in 11 years. Third parties browsers are the way to go since IE sucks

Reply 13 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IE really doesn't suck as much as before (IE6 era), but indeed I still find third party browsers better.

It is just interesting and a bit strange to me that Microsoft would rather have Vista users switch to third party browsers than release IE11 for Vista (which probably wouldn't be a big effort, plus it would allow them to fully EOL IE9, for which they are currently obligated to provide security patches for the duration of Vista's life cycle - another year and a half). I guess that with the Vista user base being so small (3% of users?), it's hard to forget that it's still officially supported.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there was a DNS error

You probably have tried it already:
ipconfig /flushdns

But other browsers are displaying Google, so that's probably not it. It was working for me last week. I'll reassemble my PC and check again if I have time.

YouTube

Reply 15 of 24, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A packet capture would show exactly what's going on. I suspect it has something to do with lack of TLS support as well. After the SSLv3 POODLE vulnerability caused most sites to only accept TLSv1.0+ connections, a lot of legacy users/browsers were left with no option other than to upgrade. Like DosFreak mentioned, enabling TLS1.0 in IE6's advanced options may help.

However, SSL security is a big and fast moving deal on the web today. The obsolescence rate for legacy browsers is only going to get faster as popular websites disable older protocols to mitigate against the latest discovered vulnerabilities.

If you care to take a packet capture with Wireshark or something similar, I'm sure a bunch of people here (myself included) would be glad to take a look and tell you exactly what's up.

Reply 16 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FIPS 140-2 is a bitch as well (doesn't apply in this case). Recently had to troubleshoot that on a classified network. Our equipment was locked down tight with the option enabled but was unable to hit a sharepoint site. Error made it look like the site was down. Luckily I remembered troubleshooting this before and disabling the requirement fixed it. The requirement wasn't really necessary anyway so no functionality was broken by disabling it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like sites using AES 256 work (bing) but RC4 128 (yahoo, google) don't in IE6

Also wow Opera is craptacular and slow at rendering modern websites. Firefox working fine on 98se.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/ … s-sites-in-2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 24, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having same here. IE 5.5 in Windows 3.1 (PMMX) just works (shows google) but IE 6.0 in Windows 98 (PIII) gives a "site not found/DNS error" for google.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000