VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1120 of 3949, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Windows 8/10 does not support 16-bit color. It is emulated. What you're seeing is that emulation, not improvements in AMD drivers.

So the game runs in a physical 32-bit color mode but is rendered using a 16-bit color palette? Who is performing the emulation in this case?

Reply 1121 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blairwitcher wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Unreal Engine based game? The culprit is in the ini file 😁 (VSync in old *NOT MODIFIED* Unreal Engine 1 games works in reverse 😁 )

Wait, do you mean it does absolutely nothing when activated and works and vice versa? 🤣

If you "enable" Vsync in ini config file ("1",) it doesn't works and if you "disable" it ("0"), it works.....but you can always force it with dgvoodoo2 so there's no real problem.
You can test it with CB: Undying or ORIGINAL Unreal 226f (no unofficial patch applied) :p

Reply 1122 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Windows 8/10 does not support 16-bit color. It is emulated. What you're seeing is that emulation, not improvements in AMD drivers.

So the game runs in a physical 32-bit color mode but is rendered using a 16-bit color palette? Who is performing the emulation in this case?

No idea what Win8/10 is doing with ddraw, but if you run a 8/16-bit game windowed you'll see: it'll emulate 8/16-bit just for that window while the rest of the desktop will run at 32-bit.

On the subject of dgVoodoo2, "enumerate refresh rates" seems to crash the config app if there's too many resolutions/refresh rates available.

Trying to add folders other than the current one also has a very high tendency of crashing, no idea why though.

Reply 1123 of 3949, by starbrite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, can someone help get dgVoodoo 2 setup and working for Star Trek: Hidden Evil on W10 x64? Even-though this is a Win95 game, it installs/plays ok W10 x64. Thx

Demo: http://www.fileplanet.com/32122/30000/fileinf … ek:-Hidden-Evil

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Hidden_Evil
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-trek-hidden-evil
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-tr … lectors-edition

Reply 1124 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested the demo of Star Trek: Hidden Evil, and it refuses to recognize support for either software or hardware rendering when using either the DDraw or Glide DLLs provided with dgVoodoo2. However, nGlide was recognized and actually allowed me to enter the game and play without issue.

Reply 1125 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote:

Just tested the demo of Star Trek: Hidden Evil, and it refuses to recognize support for either software or hardware rendering when using either the DDraw or Glide DLLs provided with dgVoodoo2. However, nGlide was recognized and actually allowed me to enter the game and play without issue.

Thanks for the report, I've just fixed both D3D and Glide. Now the demo seems to work fine.

ZellSF wrote:

On the subject of dgVoodoo2, "enumerate refresh rates" seems to crash the config app if there's too many resolutions/refresh rates available.

Trying to add folders other than the current one also has a very high tendency of crashing, no idea why though.

Browsing the setup source I see that I hardcoded 64 folders as a max number that it can handle. 😊
However the refresh rates are strange. It should be able to handle arbitray number of them.

Kayten wrote:
Hey there! :happy: The only exception being "The Settlers 3", which doesn't like dgVoodoo 2 at all, crashing instantly at laun […]
Show full quote

Hey there! 😀
The only exception being "The Settlers 3", which doesn't like dgVoodoo 2 at all, crashing instantly at launch.
Apparently it can't find its gfx files anymore: "File siedler3_00.ff0000ff00ff.dat not found!"
However, actually there ARE gfx files but they're named a bit differently like "siedler3_00.f8007e01f.dat"
So somehow dgVoodoo 2 caused the game to look for "ff0000ff00ff" instead of "f8007e01f" resulting in a crash.

Yesterday I had a look to see what's going on there and indeed the game crashed at once at startup (with 2.45).
When I tried it with the latest state then it just threw an error message about the need of DX3.
Anyway, dgVoodoo's DX couldn't always be initialized when it was created through OLE (Settlers3 goes this way) that's why it failed.
I fixed the needed part and now it starts. Everything works fineuntil I want to enter a mission but I always get a crash at that point, even with native DX.
I guess this is related to patching the game. I only applied the XP patch to be able to start it.

Reply 1126 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'd also like to report dgVoodoo forcing a 60 FPS cap on games that don't normally have one. I need dgVoodoo to get FPS counters working in these games, but I can't measure their performance properly when it's capped like that. Please could someone look into this?

Reply 1127 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tafferwocky wrote:

Hi, I'd also like to report dgVoodoo forcing a 60 FPS cap on games that don't normally have one. I need dgVoodoo to get FPS counters working in these games, but I can't measure their performance properly when it's capped like that. Please could someone look into this?

Radeonpro can force it off.

2015-09-23_00002.jpg
Filename
2015-09-23_00002.jpg
File size
247.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1130 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:

It works on Nvidia cards aswell except a few options.

I just tried and it gives me the error "AMD ADL library could not be initialized". All the options, including VSync control, are greyed out. Nvidia Inspector doesn't let me force the cap off either.

Reply 1131 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On what games does the 60fps cap get appied?
I would like to check it myself. Most games synchronize themself to the vertical retrace, so a 60-70-75 fps cap is present (depending on the refresh freq) but dgVoodo doesn't force it. It should work the same way as natively.

BTW, forcing vsync off can be set through the nVidia control panel on the '3d settings' tab.

Reply 1132 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I would like to check it myself. Most games synchronize themself to the vertical retrace, so a 60-70-75 fps cap is present (depending on the refresh freq) but dgVoodo doesn't force it. It should work the same way as natively.

BTW, forcing vsync off can be set through the nVidia control panel on the '3d settings' tab.

The three games Expack3 mentioned at the end of the last page, but I'm particularly interested in Simcopter. I forced it off in the Nvidia control panel, but that game still has a 60 FPS cap when run with dgVoodoo.

Reply 1133 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tafferwocky wrote:
Dege wrote:

The three games Expack3 mentioned at the end of the last page, but I'm particularly interested in Simcopter. I forced it off in the Nvidia control panel, but that game still has a 60 FPS cap when run with dgVoodoo.

I've tried StarTopia so far, but it has a 60fps cap natively too. At least, on Windows 7.
Is there any game setting allowing you to switch off vsync?

Reply 1134 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Browsing the setup source I see that I hardcoded 64 folders as a max number that it can handle. 😊
However the refresh rates are strange. It should be able to handle arbitray number of them.

While that's a good limit to remove, that isn't it, I only have 5 profiles. I'll try to figure out more specifically when it happens.

I'll try to count just how many resolutions/refresh rates is too much for enumeration in dgVoodoo2 when I get home too.

Reply 1135 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Tafferwocky wrote:
Dege wrote:

I've tried StarTopia so far, but it has a 60fps cap natively too. At least, on Windows 7.

Try changing "Display Method" to either "Flip without Vsync" or "Blit". Not sure which one actually disables Vsync.

Reply 1136 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I've not tried Startopia myself, but with Simcopter there is no in-game option. Quite simply, testing it with dgVoodoo and then without it (with the same settings), gives locked 60 with dgVoodoo and uncapped without.

Reply 1137 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... it's really strange. 😕

I've just tried StarTopia and Simcopter (Win7).

StartTopia: Flip without vsync gives me uncapped fps both natively and dgVoodoo. I must admit though, it runs much faster natively, through the emulation it does not always reach 60 fps depending on scene complexity (old subject to checking for the reason).

Simcopter: it runs uncapped, like crazy with thousands of fps, with and without emulation.

Are you guys are sure you don't have the 'force vsync' enabled on the DirectX tab in the dgv setup (or have a local config file in the folders of games)? 😀
Or can it be some kind of Win8/Win10 magic?

Reply 1138 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Hmm... it's really strange. :confused: […]
Show full quote

Hmm... it's really strange. 😕

I've just tried StarTopia and Simcopter (Win7).

StartTopia: Flip without vsync gives me uncapped fps both natively and dgVoodoo. I must admit though, it runs much faster natively, through the emulation it does not always reach 60 fps depending on scene complexity (old subject to checking for the reason).

Simcopter: it runs uncapped, like crazy with thousands of fps, with and without emulation.

Are you guys are sure you don't have the 'force vsync' enabled on the DirectX tab in the dgv setup (or have a local config file in the folders of games)? 😀
Or can it be some kind of Win8/Win10 magic?

I can't speak for Tafferwocky regarding his dgVoodoo2 profile setups or his OS, but I keep "Force Vsync" off in all my profiles, both local and global.

EDIT: It may also have something to do with me unintentionally picking games which either 1) have built-in framerate limiters or 2) I had Vsync enabled on and had forgotten I'd done so.

On a semi-unrelated note, when you tested StarTopia, were you using the last official patch (1.01 I think), or the 1.02 'semi-official' patch? I think you'll get a fairer comparison performance-wise with the former (although getting the latter to run near-native without game-specific hacks would be an impressive feat!).