VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just been getting around to downloading the highest quality versions (mpeg2 and mp4) of the computer chronicles, and was just thinking about how it'd be nice if there was some automated way of doing so.

EDIT: project (semi) completed - here is a website with links to the files http://compchronicles.blogspot.com.au/

After I'm done I'd like to work out some ideal settings to compress these with (Deinterlacing would be a good start) and offer another batch script that does so.

Last edited by kreats on 2016-03-20, 14:02. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 5 of 33, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problemo.

BTW I think the mpeg4 versions are in the same locations (but are much smaller), just do a search and replace on the filenames changing ".mpeg" to "_edit.mp4". I'll probably sort something out regarding this when I am finished doing all seasons.

Haven't tested this though (some eps don't have mp4 versions for instance).

Last edited by kreats on 2016-03-20, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kreats wrote:

Other things that could be done is work out some filtering/processing to get rid of some of the artifacts in these.

Like batch out some waifu2x noise reduction?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 33, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's more for stylized art. I'm not sure what's the best scaling algorithm for upscaled low-res live-action video.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 13 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I personally process with Yadif2x deinterlacing to 59.94fps, to a 1300kbps x264 AVI. Produces smooth ~300mb episodes and seems well suited for the tape quality it was already
They're blurry to watch now, though the TV I originally watched some of them on had nice sharpness which compensated well, and I watched this on WGBH which always had a great signal to begin with. I think it's rather futile to upscale the old tapes

The audio tracks definitely have a lot of room for improvement however. Can hardly hear Chiefet through the PC speakers

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 33, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So just doing season 6 and this episode is proving problematic:

https://archive.org/details/CC601_macworld

The MPEG2 version doesn't render in Media Player Classic - although I hear it plays without audio in VLC
The MP4 version (you can stream this) plays, but is out of sync.

Any easy way to fix this?

Reply 17 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a similar issue with some later MPEG2's as well, particularily CC1816 and CC1851. VCDGear was no good at "correcting" it, AVIDemux couldn't show beyond the first 5 seconds... 🙁 (which are apparently the last few seconds of the episode)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 33, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kreats wrote:
So just doing season 6 and this episode is proving problematic: […]
Show full quote

So just doing season 6 and this episode is proving problematic:

https://archive.org/details/CC601_macworld

The MPEG2 version doesn't render in Media Player Classic - although I hear it plays without audio in VLC
The MP4 version (you can stream this) plays, but is out of sync.

Any easy way to fix this?

A long time ago I had downloaded several of these episodes, so I checked.
Turns out I have this file. The filename includes the word "repaired" and VLC can play and seek it without any apparent issue. It reports the play length as 28:02, not the 28:21 that's shown on the web page. By comparing with the embedded player on that web page, I think the difference is that my copy cuts off during the credits. The audio ends at 28:02 and goes mute, and that's when my copy ends.

The size of my file is 1.23GB, not the 1.9GB shown on that page. I don't have any memory of what I did with this file to fix it. Maybe I re-encoded it? It's even possible it wasn't me who fixed it.
My best guess is that the audio "glitch" at ~28:03 might have had something to do with the problem, and so it was re-encoded with that cut out of the file.

My internet sucks, especially uploading, so I'm not sure it would be feasible for me to somehow share this file. I'm guessing re-encoding was involved, since my file shrunk somehow.

VLC reports this for the codec info:
Video: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) 720x480 29.970030fps Planar 4:2:0 YUV
Audio: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52) Stereo 48000Hz 192kb/s

Does that match what it says for the version you downloaded?