VOGONS

First post, by ]CRuS[

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,

i tried to run earthsiege from dynamix in dosbox 0.62 win32 with winXP SP2 on a notebook with P4 2.8, ATI RadM 9600 and AC`97 sound. the newest catalyst grafics drivers are installed.

so i tested all possible output modes, switched off all sound-emulations and tested it with and without xms and ems. and i also varied the core type and the machine dosbox is emulating.

everytime earthsiege starts, shows the intro, shows the menu and if i start a game it crashes back to windows. all the windows are closing, but i can read these errormessages while closing:

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

in the games list of dosbox.sourceforge.net there are two entries for earthsiege. both are described as supported from version 0.61.
the first one has the comment: 32-bit protected mode game
and the comment of the second one is: CPU Paging features aren't supported

what does it mean ?
is there a reason why it won't run ?
does anyone played this game with dosbox ?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
]CRuS[ wrote:

the first one has the comment: 32-bit protected mode game
and the comment of the second one is: CPU Paging features aren't supported

what does it mean ?

These comments are about the game in older versions of DOSBox. It did not work in 0.58 and 0.60, but should work fine in 0.61 (I do not have the game, so I cannot test it).

By the way: The comments in database can be a little confusing (especially for newbies), because they have only dates and not DOSBox versions. Of course, anybody can write a version number to the comment, but almost nobody does it. I think there could be an option to choose DOSBox version from the menu when new comment is posted and that number would then appear in the post.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Jiri: you can look at the date 😀

I expected that somebody will suggest this. 😀 Yes, it is not problem for me, I remember dates of releases. But I presume (and surely some unnecessary threads here at Vogons can prove this) that some users of database do not know these dates and do not check them when searching their game compatibility. Not everybody is experienced DOSBox user. 😉