VOGONS

First post, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everybody! I've recently ordered a crap ton of parts on eBay to build a kick ass (somewhat) old school gaming rig from around ~2006/2007-ish.

So what's the purpose of this rig? Well, I'm a big fan of old FPS and tycoon games from the early to mid 2000s, and running them on my main rig (FX-8350 w/ GTX 770, Windows 8.1) is a huge pain, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 😁 it sadly hangs after about an hour on my main rig. I will be installing three operating systems: Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, and Ubuntu 15.04 (or whatever the latest is when this rig is built). Pretty odd OS selection for a rig like this, right? Well yeah. This rig is also going to be used for tinkering around with newer OSes and games. One thing I have always been curious about is how older SLI system perform in new(er) games. Granted, I won't be running games like GTA V on this rig (~60GB download, and won't run on DX9 🤣), so this machine doubles as, lets say, a tinkerer build 😀 what do you think? Thoughts?

System Specs (as of 9/29/2015):
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.20GHz, Socket AM2) with an AMD FX Stock Cooler (same mounting system as AM3+)
MOBO: Biostar TPower N750 (ATX, Socket AM2, DDR2, Dual PCIe x16, will check BIOS rev. when it arrives)
RAM: Super Talent 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2-667 (PC5300, CL5)
GPU(s): 2 x Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2 (Dell OEM, 1GB/card, has full length card bracket, not OC'd)
PPU: Ageia PhysX Card (Dell OEM, 128MB, PCI)
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy (PCI, SB0090, no live drive or expansion brackets)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout (Windowed, mid-tower, gonna have lots of 120mm fans)
PSU: Ultra LSP-750 (750w, 45 amps on single 12v rail)
Storage: 3 x 32GB SSDs, 500GB HDD, IDE DVD-RW Drive (with IDE -> SATA converter)
Misc: Lots of Fans (120mm and 80mm with bracket adapter), 2 x Green 12v LED Strips

One OS per SSD, and yes I know Windows XP doesn't natively support TRIM or any garbage collection, but I would like to tinker with SSD optimization, and worse case scenario if all else fails I will use an HDD for XP. The 500GB HDD is a general storage drive. Also, I'm using the 32-bit version of XP Pro because I've heard of the 64-bit version being a bit unstable/wonky, could be completely wrong about that but didn't wanna risk getting everything installed and then start having constant crashes/BSOD screens. On a different note, once I get this rig going, this will be a photo-heavy thread (cropped properly for forum viewing, of course), so ***56K warning*** for all the dial-up folks. I'm very excited to do a build like this, been wanting to do it for years. One aspect that does worry me a bit is the PSU, whether it can handle two dual GPU cards. My LSP-750 has handled a 3870x2 then an OC'd 4870x2 in the past, so maybe it can handle two 7950GX2 cards, which there's one 6-pin PCIe power connector per card. We'll find out soon.

Updates:
9/29/2015: I have the first 7950GX2, PhysX card, Case, PSU, RAM, and Storage. I will update this post when I receive items. Feel free to discuss what games/benchmarks I should run!

9/30/2015: Motherboard has arrived! Currently running Memtest86+. Will post pics soon, promise! 😀 Fedex should be bringing my 120mm fans any moment now.

10/1/2015: October is here in Kentucky and so is my Sound Blaster Audigy (SB0090), Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 4 x 120mm fans, and IDE -> SATA converter (for the optical drive). I'm surprised how many views this thread has gotten in the short amount of time (less than 3 days).

Last edited by AlphaDangerDen on 2015-10-02, 03:40. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 1 of 58, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This sounds freaking awesome. I would humbly request you run Crysis on it! Which would probably run pretty decently honestly.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

This sounds freaking awesome. I would humbly request you run Crysis on it! Which would probably run pretty decently honestly.

Crysis is one of the games I plan on running on this beast 😀 seriously can't wait for the motherboard to arrive, it's the only part keeping me from getting this system up and running. I have a spare Athlon 64 3800+ here that I can DOA test with if the motherboard gets here before the Athlon 64 X2 does

Reply 3 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently doing some research and acquiring hardware drivers for Windows XP Pro, Windows 10 (will probably use Vista/7/8 drivers for most hardware), and Ubuntu. Will keep everybody posted. Once all of the expansions card come in I'll have one PCIe x1 slot free, USB 3.0 card maybe? I feel like I need to put SOMETHING there.

Update: Just ran into (I guess) an issue regarding DirectX 9.0c, it actually won't work on anything newer than Windows XP/Server 2003, even when running in compatibility mode. Games and benchmarks were going to be ran in XP anyway.

Reply 4 of 58, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could go for an X-fi? That's what I've got in my main gaming box, and it was released in 2005..

Haven't heard of DX9c not working - pretty certain it's fine on Windows 8. Can you give an example of a game that's not compatible?

Reply 5 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ynari wrote:

You could go for an X-fi? That's what I've got in my main gaming box, and it was released in 2005..

Haven't heard of DX9c not working - pretty certain it's fine on Windows 8. Can you give an example of a game that's not compatible?

An X-fi card would be a good upgrade, although I've already ordered the Audigy card for very cheap, so I'll stick with it for now. I honestly thought at first I scored an Audigy 2 ZS. Oops! Always double check and double read your eBay listings before you buy haha.

As for DX9c, I downloaded the installer from Microsoft and tried to run it on my main rig to make sure it was the full installation and not just the C update, and it brings up a window that says "You must be running Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 family to install the DirectX 9.0."

Reply 6 of 58, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope you run 3DMark 03, 05 and 06 on your machine 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 7 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiger433 wrote:

I hope you run 3DMark 03, 05 and 06 on your machine 😀

I actually downloaded 3DMark 06 last night, will get 03 and 05 😀 thanks for the suggestions.

Reply 8 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've taken tons of pictures today! Will crop and upload them later tonight after I get out of class. Currently installing Windows XP.

Reply 9 of 58, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want more than two cpu cores you must run something like Win 7 and DX9 works fine, its the drivers for modern cards that causes the problems with the vast majority of DX9 games. If all else fails look for drivers from around 2009 for Nvidia and you should be covered.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

If you want more than two cpu cores you must run something like Win 7 and DX9 works fine, its the drivers for modern cards that causes the problems with the vast majority of DX9 games. If all else fails look for drivers from around 2009 for Nvidia and you should be covered.

Ah okay, I just got home and about to fire up the rig. I'll see how it goes!

Reply 11 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

USPS dropped off a present today, what could it possibly be?!?!

I1U4vF1l.jpg

Oh, just the Biostar TPower N750 I ordered 😜

7l77nsyl.jpg

R1ldo0Gl.jpg

BJN6pKCl.jpg

pXIFg5Il.jpg

z646PULl.jpg

Here's the motherboard being prepped for testing, threw in an Athlon 64 I had lying around (the Athlon 64 X2 hasn't arrived yet), AMD FX stock heatsink (will be soon replaced with a Xigmatek Gaia), and 4GB DDR2. As you can see, I forgot to plug in the 8-pin EPS 12v connector, which led to around 30 minutes of troubleshooting. Doh! One thing about this board that I knew going in was that it didn't come with an I/O shield, no big deal. Just buy one later.

LqyTnYul.jpg

j5A10WBl.jpg

bS2xfvQl.jpg

vB2aaYKl.jpg

moMfYsHl.jpg

The dead pixels/lines is an issue with the monitor, not the video card.

6eZ1mGZl.jpg

AqpqB0Kl.jpg

V6VkDUVl.jpg

Qgqol7El.jpg

GrQywaWl.jpg

Things seem to be going well so far, for the most part. After taking these photos I hooked up the SSDs and HDD and starting install OSes. I have Windows XP, Windows 10, and Ubuntu installed on their own seperate drive. This led to me having to switch the boot order to pick which OS I want, any boot menu suggestions and how to implement them? Hopefully these images aren't too big for forum viewing, they look fine in the preview window. Will keep you all posted as parts come in the mail..

Reply 13 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ynari wrote:

I'm pretty certain either dx9c works on Windows 8, or you're using the wrong link. I'm sure I've run DX9 games on Windows 8.

I'm about to go ahead in boot into Windows 10 to install DX9c. Like a previous poster said, DX9c probably didn't want to install on my main rig due to a conflict with my modern GeForce drivers. I'll find out here in a few.

On a different note, the Audigy, Athlon 64 X2, 120mm fans, and IDE -> SATA converter (for the optical drive) are here! Did run into a problem with the motherboard, though. There's 6 SATA-II ports, port 5 and 6 only support RAID and AHCI. If you set the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS, then only port 5 and 6 work, same with RAID. Both modes turn off port 1 through 4. Da fuq? So I'm thinking filling that lone PCIe x1 slot with a PCIe SATA controller, and hooking one of the HDDs up to it so I can use the optical drive with the IDE -> SATA converter, hate using bulky IDE cables in semi-modern setups. WIll upload more pics here soon.

Last edited by AlphaDangerDen on 2015-10-01, 20:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

That motherboard looks awesome and the graphics cards are also amazing.

Some comments:

I do remember that running 2 sticks (2x2 GB) might improve stability a little. With the optical drive, just hook it up to the IDE port. The IDE to SATA adapter should work with optical drives, but I find that step a bit unnecessary.

Running drives in IDE mode vs AHCI, are there any benchmarks or tests that look into this? I usually go for AHCI because I can, but I always wondered if it actually makes a difference.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Very nice! […]
Show full quote

Very nice!

That motherboard looks awesome and the graphics cards are also amazing.

Some comments:

I do remember that running 2 sticks (2x2 GB) might improve stability a little. With the optical drive, just hook it up to the IDE port. The IDE to SATA adapter should work with optical drives, but I find that step a bit unnecessary.

Running drives in IDE mode vs AHCI, are there any benchmarks or tests that look into this? I usually go for AHCI because I can, but I always wondered if it actually makes a difference.

I've been using the optical drive with IDE to do OS and game installations, just wanted to get rid of the bulky IDE cable and was curious if the IDE -> SATA adapter would work.

I will admit, I did remove the 32-bit installation of XP and installed 64-bit Pro because the prior only recognized 3GB of RAM, which I know I won't be using all of my RAM but it's just something that annoyed me. 64-bit XP Pro seems to be very good so far, although I'm having a hard time getting the PhysX card to be recognize by the PhysX software. I'm not sure about the benchmarks for IDE vs. AHCI, are you referring to read/write speed benchmarks?

Oh and by the way Phil, your "Build an AMD Athlon 64 Retro Gaming PC Windows XP" video is one of the inspirations for me to do this build, along with some games not working right on my main rig. Awesome video!

Reply 16 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

Yes, basically some benchmarks / reviews / article that shows IDE vs AHCI performance impact.

With XP, I really, really recommend 32 bit version. You will always lose some of the memory, no big deal. If it bothers you, you could go with 2x1 GB and 2x512 MB memory configuration?

I'm keen to see how you will go with this build. Especially if you see a benefit with SLI and quad SLI on this machine.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

🤣

I'm keen to see how you will go with this build. Especially if you see a benefit with SLI and quad SLI on this machine.

I'm curious too, I did have some black flashing screen issues when I had the system hooked up via DVI -> VGA to a Sony LCD panel. It started doing it after I installed the GPU drivers, but the even weirder part is that when I hooked the system up to my TV (center monitor) via DVI -> HDMI at 1920x1080, it stopped. It did it on both XP 32-bit and 64-bit. Huh.

Reply 18 of 58, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just scored a Rosewill RC-211 SATA-II Controller for $5.50 USD. Will that use for the 500GB HDD (and maybe another drive in the future?) so I can hook the optical drive up to SATA port 4 on the motherboard. Good stuff!

Fmtjl1pm.jpg

Will upload some more pictures later tonight of the new hardware.

Reply 19 of 58, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recommended PSU for SLI is minimum 650W, so 750W should be ok.

Build looks interesting since I use all 3 of those OS's. Will watch intently.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs