VOGONS

First post, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get mine to work. I bought an MX300 in high school when it was new for my Win98SE system. It worked with the same games I'm trying to play now on a Pentium 200MMX box. It's in an AthlonXP/nForce2 system I built a few days ago now yet I'm having a helluva time getting it to work with a few of my DOS games. The Orion Conspiracy and Darker than Black refuse to give me FX or MIDI sound when launching DOS from windows or booting into it. The SB Emulation driver is loaded and working. In Real-DOS mode the AU30DOS.com loads and gives me A220 I7 D3 as my resources but it's a no-go with sound in these games.

I've become soft and spoiled since the '90s and no longer know how to get the same damned games I've owned for nearly 20 years to work.

Reply 1 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

In before the lock! ;]

(Reviving a topic this old for any reason is a big no-no. Create a new thread if you really need help).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Necro.gif

No, just no.

Split the thread. *shakes fist at all you whipper-snappers*

kreats wrote:

Honestly I never did understand why necroing threads is so bad. Especially if there is valuable information in the original thread (perhaps not this one). Live and let live I say.

I think it comes of thinking of threads as repositories of information. That is not what they are, there's wikis and such if that's what you want. At best, threads are short-term staging of information and/or such information can be mined out of a forum.

Instead, threads are CONVERSATIONS between people (forum members) and accordingly have a natural lifespan. Which is why the conversation comes to a natural conclusion and ends amongst its participants. Accordingly, if you were not part of the conversation originally, start a new one whilst citing the new one. I doubt you walk up to your friend and say "hey, remember that thing we were talking about nine years ago?" 😁 Still, opinions on this vary not just between forum members but also moderators and admins, so it's not a huge issue. But... nine years, really? Damn, start a new thread next time!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 7, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think with queststudios etc going down it's pretty clearly evident that forum postings are repositories of information. You can't save this content in a wiki as it is robbed of all context.

There is also a bit of confusion going on with the need to use the search function but not digging up old posts. I think if a thread is useless it will die of it's own accord, necro or not.

I personally would rather have a long necro'ed thread chock full of info spread over 10 years than repostings of the same question over and over again. It's certainly easier to access the information than having to go through all the duplicates.

Also - if you have the answer to a question asked long ago are you really going to post a new thread declaring the answer? Probably not.

Last edited by kreats on 2015-10-02, 07:37. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running Win9x on that AthlonXP/nForce2? In real DOS, did you put a SET BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat?

Which thread was this split from? The discussion on thread necromancy, another information light thread, and Stiletto's funny pic will be appreciated by everyone searching through the forums in the future, I'm sure. I know I always do. :p

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 7, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

Are you running Win9x on that AthlonXP/nForce2? In real DOS, did you put a SET BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat?

Which thread was this split from? The discussion on thread necromancy, another information light thread, and Stiletto's funny pic will be appreciated by everyone searching through the forums in the future, I'm sure. I know I always do. :p

Yes, I have the SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4 (the current system resource setup). I made sure that matches the au30dos.INI file as well. I get the message that the driver loads and even hear the slight click of the sound card initializing in my headphones. Games simply refuse to auto-detect FX or MIDI. This is happening with ALL of my DOS games, whereas my 286 can play a really old game like Street Rod 2 with MIDI(or rather AdLib emulation) and FXs just fine with a Digital Research DRSOUND ISA soundcard.

/Sorry for the necro, folks; however, this forum has tons of useful information from years past. Still, I'll make a new thread next time.

Reply 7 of 7, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have the DMA set to 1 with that line and you said AU30DOS.com is set up at 3, so make sure those actually line up. Also, I saw it mentioned that if "Sound Blaster Pro Emulation" is disabled in Win9x device manager it'll prevent AU30DOS.com from loading in real DOS.

It could just be that the motherboard is too new and doesn't hack it when it comes to ISA emulation. Non-Maskable Interrupt woes and that.

Wondering if no one has better suggestions.

My big-red-switch 486