VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I recently bought this Sataraid pci card with 4 sata connections and compatibility with old Win 98 os. The nice thing is that the card show it's own detection bios after the IDE check at post so it can see my 64GB SSD even in a VP3 mainboard that could not boot to raid disk with a cheaper sata card.
By the way the native boot go flawless until the first reboot after win98 files copying. At the first reboot (choosing hard drive boot) it hang at win98 screen and after resetting if you try again it found error in iosubsys.something...
The config is K6-3 400, 5AGM2 MVP3 mobo, 384MB PC100, Voodoo3 3000 etc. With a IDE usual drive it boot ok so it's the ssd/raid card the problem. I thought the size of the HD was too much so I partitioned with lower 32GB active one and tried again with no solution.
Any advices?
Thank

Reply 2 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Try a standard HDD instead of the SSD.

Already tried with a IDE usual hd on the mainboard controller and it installs ok. It's certainly the raid/SSD the problem but no options can be set at boot to modify something. I can try disk cloning with a real HD.

Reply 4 of 11, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it need special drivers? Does it work if you install 98 onto a working IDE drive then try to access the SSD as drive D: or similar?

Reply 5 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: I tried disk cloning a fresh win98 install from a ide disk and disabling the original. It boot ok and all. No DMA is possible to set up on disk proprieties by the way.
I still don't know what happen at the first reboot that it hang, it's a pain if I have to install everytime on a ide disk before working with it.

Reply 6 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malvineous wrote:

Does it need special drivers? Does it work if you install 98 onto a working IDE drive then try to access the SSD as drive D: or similar?

No drivers are requried to access disk not even as D:. It ask only Raid drivers I think to use Raid option (and also some Visual Studio packages I don't have).

Reply 7 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the meanwhile tried the Disk Speed tool:

Access time: 0,32ms
Cached Speed: 155,53 MB/s
Max read Speed: 75,76 MB/s
Overall Score: 36229,2

Are these good?

A strange thing also is that the IDE led now doesn't show always disk activity and there's no jumper led on the sata card as the old isa controller had.

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
In the meanwhile tried the Disk Speed tool: […]
Show full quote

Are these good?

A strange thing also is that the IDE led now doesn't show always disk activity and there's no jumper led on the sata card as the old isa controller had.

These are very good!

Reason I asked to use a standard SATA drive is because I also had trouble with SSD. SATA drives however work fine.

The Sil3114 has virtual / internal DMA, no need to enable it. The max read speed speaks for itself 😀

I've added another W9x benchmark, ATTO 2.41!

Attachments

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
These are very good! […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:
In the meanwhile tried the Disk Speed tool: […]
Show full quote

Are these good?

These are very good!

Reason I asked to use a standard SATA drive is because I also had trouble with SSD. SATA drives however work fine.

The Sil3114 has virtual / internal DMA, no need to enable it. The max read speed speaks for itself 😀

I've added another W9x benchmark, ATTO 2.41!

I ran the benchmark and here's the best result:

Write ~55 MB/S Read ~83 MB/S with 2048 test. From 256 to 8192 they are almost equals.

Reply 10 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would you be so kind and attache the exact driver (and maybe BIOS) that you used?

And a photo of the controller, or eBay link, as there are quite a few models out there.

Thank you!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 11, by iraklis777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

after a few days of use on windows 98
With this
Sata controller i had a problem.
It mess up my installation with a problem on expanded memory and system cannot found emm.386
This problem has been reported everytime winows starting up
Pulling out the controller everything is normal again.

Any help??