VOGONS

Reply 80 of 151, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Can you take a screenshot of the resources in device manager? […]
Show full quote

Can you take a screenshot of the resources in device manager?

What is the SET BLASTER varible set?

Do you have Sound Blaster Emulation installed?

Have you tried running DOS games from within Windows first, rather than running MS-DOS mode?

I'll have to wait to get you the screenshot when I get home from work. As far as your other questions :

1) In short, I don't know. I must not have this installed. I got my Diamond Monster 2 drivers from Vogonsdrivers. It may be on the full disk ISO if it isn't part of the driver....or is this a specific 3rd party software I should find an download?

2) SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

3) Yes, the games in question are Darker than Black (a later DOS game) and Street Rod 2(an earlier DOS game). I get nothing in the first, and PC speaker in the second with no option to choose a sound card, like in DOS 6.22.

Thanks for your help!

Reply 81 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Blaster variable seems fine.

In device manager, there should be a device named Sound Blaster emulation.

Try Doom shareware, easy to find. Run setup and configure music and sound for Sound Blaster. See if that works.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 82 of 151, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Straight from the makers 😉

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/doom19s.zip

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 83 of 151, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
squareguy wrote:

I appreciate it guy!

I can't wait to get home now. I must redeem myself, otherwise my 16 year old self will continue to ridicule me.

Reply 84 of 151, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

The Blaster variable seems fine.

In device manager, there should be a device named Sound Blaster emulation.

Try Doom shareware, easy to find. Run setup and configure music and sound for Sound Blaster. See if that works.

SO...I got it working!!!

I had to use the AU8830 patched drivers and use the No-Bus-Check INF file. Everything installed but the SB Emulation had an IRQ conflict with my USB interface. Luckily I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard which is one of the few that allows for manual IRQ reassignment. I cleared up the conflict and voila! I'm still having trouble getting Darker than Black and the Orion Conspiracy to work in Windows DOS mode and Real-DOS mode, but those may be peculiarities with those games. As it was 1am by the time I finished, I didn't get around to testing with Doom.

I have a new Pentium 4 Asrock motherboard coming which has both an AGP 8x and PCIe slot for graphics cards. I'll rebuild the system with that and a 3.4Ghz P4 to have the ultimate DOS Retro Gaming Machine!

Reply 86 of 151, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
Well, look what I found! […]
Show full quote

Well, look what I found!

rJh7Lrrl.jpg

I'm going in...

So, finally got a replacement for the POS Packard Bell case... got a Micro ATX Fujitsu Siemens case that had been submerged in water, with the dirt of years of use baked on. Cleaned it up (sorry, didn't take a before picture) and voila:

Ay3Xr48giMab6BEL3rgZ6hmR97PfqCJlrnRdFSQPV_Q.jpg
Filename
Ay3Xr48giMab6BEL3rgZ6hmR97PfqCJlrnRdFSQPV_Q.jpg
File size
550.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
N1ZXtBDylvkNEeL5bYQ6AwuScPd7zdUwO7dw6R4CKzE.jpg
Filename
N1ZXtBDylvkNEeL5bYQ6AwuScPd7zdUwO7dw6R4CKzE.jpg
File size
490.8 KiB
Views
File license

Compared to the Packard Bell, that's a really nice - and nice looking - no-frills OEM case.

The only thing left to do is to make it quieter. The Intel stock cooler is loud even with fan control, and the fan on the FX5700 is annoying. On the upside, the Intel board is really nice and even has fan control for the case fans.

I try to have every computer in a mini tower / micro ATX case. My office is really small, and I frequently rotate computers in and out, so them being easy to move is a big plus.

Thanks again Phil for the idea!

Reply 88 of 151, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Phil! Without you, I never would've thought about using a Pentium 4 for this, but It's close to perfect - PLENTY of speed, and the Intel board has nice features and is nice to work with. Really fast boot combined with the SATA hard drive too.

Specs:
- Intel D865GLC mainboard
- Pentium 4 Prescott 3.06GHz, HT disabled
- 512MB DDR
- GeForce FX5700, IIRC MSI
- Yamaha YMF724
- WD 80GB SATA
- Floppy and PATA DVD drive (could've used a SATA drive, but preferred to have an analog audio connection to the sound card)

Reply 90 of 151, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would still go for Radeon. (though it is only slightly better in terms of compatibility, not speed)
Still a matter of preferance's and choices. The FX gives speed advantage, the Radeon gives less ackes and run pre-2000/01 games better.
(The issues are still minor. Only a question of extreme perfection and minor detail's)
It's a nice build anyway, and should give some good times.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 91 of 151, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

3.06 GHz! Wow, that is super fast for a Windows 98 machine 😀

Yeah, but why not? That way, it's fast enough for games up to around 2004, and I don't use it much for DOS if at all. It's actually running ME and I'm thinking about dual booting 2000 or XP.

brostenen wrote:
I would still go for Radeon. (though it is only slightly better in terms of compatibility, not speed) Still a matter of preferan […]
Show full quote

I would still go for Radeon. (though it is only slightly better in terms of compatibility, not speed)
Still a matter of preferance's and choices. The FX gives speed advantage, the Radeon gives less ackes and run pre-2000/01 games better.
(The issues are still minor. Only a question of extreme perfection and minor detail's)
It's a nice build anyway, and should give some good times.

Thanks for the suggestion! Haven't encountered any problems with the GeForce so far, and I don't own a Radeon of that era. The FX stays for the time being.

I actually benchmarked a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 4 Ti 4400, and the FX 5700 in it, and they were all very close in performance with the FX slightly in the lead.

Reply 92 of 151, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:

I actually benchmarked a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 4 Ti 4400, and the FX 5700 in it, and they were all very close in performance with the FX slightly in the lead.

Not saying you should get a 9800 XXL/Pro or faster, as I don't know how it will stack up against any FX5500 to FX5900 cards.
From my testing on a Sempron 3300+, the Radeon 9800-XXL just beats the GF4-Ti4200 (Both Medion cards)

Both on performance and compatibility... The GF4-ti4200 has some issues on certain games, without any AA.
The 9800-XXL has zero compatibility issues on UT99 (as an example) without any AA enabled, and things just gets better with AA.
Enough power in those 9800+/FX5500+ anyway, to be regarded as an issue at all. Looking at a broader persective. 😉

Reply 93 of 151, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeons have 2 well known drivers bugs: the table fog (Test Drive 5 and Thief II: the Metal Age are d3d and ogl examples) and negative blending (Bloodrayne 2 and ePSXe OGL plugin). The first one was fixed but only in 2007 (Catalyst 7.11+). Unfortunately the last Win9x Catalyst is 6.2.
About features... No palettized textures (European Air War and Final Fantasy VII/VIII).
Radeon 9800 XXL? Err... MSI is so MSI.

My WinME/WinXp PC used Radeon X850 PE Agp. Unfortunately - leadless soldering have killed this card.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 94 of 151, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Radeon 9800 XXL? Err... MSI is so MSI.

Yes... Radeon 9800-XXL. It's a Medion card.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b283/medion-9800-xxl.html

Reply 95 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Incoming renders incorrectly with later Nvidia cards. E.g. works on TNT cards, but not GF2 I believe. dgVoodoo2 had to add a feature for this when I noticed it did the same thing 😀

ATI doesn't have this issue.

All I can say is that I was positively surprised how good ATI was on the P4. Now on a Socket 7 machine, I had very bad experiences. Likely to do with the AGP. I also like how ATI has proper V-sync controls directly in the driver.

Reply 96 of 151, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never used ATi before the 9800pro.
But from that one to today's 290X, I've never had any problem. Well no more than the occasional hiccups in computer technologie.
The 8800 and GTX275 and GTX580 from nVidia that interrupted my ATi streak were no better.
The 580 was actually probably my worst card those last 10 years, especially after the GTX275, HD5870 and compared to the 7970 I had after.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 97 of 151, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Incoming renders incorrectly with later Nvidia cards.

The interface issue?
Well, the trouble is - both methods are correct. MS just forgot to create the DX standard for this (colorkeying scaled/filtered bitmaps). So - if the game vas developed with "NVidia way" - it looks worse on Ati cards (color (mostly blacks) borders around 2d elements).
Same trouble is color lines in many ogl games on 2d elements. Because GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE_EXT isn't the default method since ogl 1.2.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-10-20, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 98 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fascinating stuff these incompatibilities. I've never seen the issue with the black lines. What game and cards would trigger this?

Reply 99 of 151, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Fascinating stuff these incompatibilities. I've never seen the issue with the black lines. What game and cards would trigger this?

Almost all q3engine games (American McGee's Alice etc) in 800x600+ resolutions.

AmericanMcGeesAlice.JPG
Filename
AmericanMcGeesAlice.JPG
File size
77.17 KiB
Views
File license

Grand Prix Legends - black lines on the sky.

GrandPrixLegends.JPG
Filename
GrandPrixLegends.JPG
File size
42.33 KiB
Views
File license

Etc.
This trouble is present on all new videocards but IIRC NVidia had the fix in drivers ("Disable conformant texture clamp").

By the way, there is another example for an incompatibility. Pixel centering. Especially after the "alternative pixel center" checkbox was removed from AMD and NVidia drivers.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-10-20, 18:04. Edited 3 times in total.