VOGONS

Common searches

European Air War (EAW)

Topic actions

First post, by iriches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's growing interest in getting EAW to work with Glidos over at SimHQ.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/F … TML/016434.html

The reason is that most ATI cards render the fog incorrectly in this game, ruining the visuals. The likelihood of ATI fixing it is....well......not big.

The file for Red Baron does work with EAW, but the frame rate is not good, making the game unplayable on my Athlon XP1700.

Are there any tweaks that can be made to make this run better?

Thanks!

Ian

Reply 3 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iriches wrote:

There's growing interest in getting EAW to work with Glidos over at SimHQ.

You need to understand a few things. GliDOS is for DOS-based programs (primarily with 3dfx support). What you're probably referring to is Paul's version of the OpenGlide "wrapper" for 3dfx emulation (Like Snover said, you probably want the RedBaron 3d files from his webpage).

Is the ATI card the only video card having the Fog problem?

Reply 4 of 20, by iriches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the misunderstanding....I am indeed referring to the OpenGlide "wrapper" that has been so successful for Red Baron.

The success of that has kindled a lot of interest in this project, to say the least....

Concerning EAW, I believe that some S3 Savage cards as well as ATI cards have problems rendering the fog using the D3D renderer in EAW.

Using the OpenGlide wrapper allows the fog to be rendered correctly, but the frame rate is poor.

My question (re-phrased) then, is if there is any advice as to .ini file settings that may help in this instance.

I (now) fully understand getting Windows Glide programs to run under D3D is not the raison d'etre of this project.

However, if there is any easy tweak that can be made to enable better functionality in EAW, you would have a lot of happy people!

If this is either not possible, or desirable, that is well understood.

Ian

Reply 5 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, plans are being drawn up between Paul, Fabio (the original creator of OpenGLide), and several other members here at VOGONS to get the wheels rolling on it again. Paul is planning on committing everything he's done to OpenGLide to the OpenGLide CVS and then things should start working outwards from there. More about that here.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, as Snover says we have Fabio back on board. All things are possible. He says specifically that he has ideas for speeding things up. If frame rate is the main problems, you might be in luck.

Reply 8 of 20, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, this is very exciting news!!

Not just for RB (yeah, I'm biased... but we all have our favs) but for all of the great old glide games out there...

If nothing else, you have my enthusiastic moral support....

Reply 10 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main problem with AD is it wont start in W2K and XP because of VESA problems. One hope: I've found that the new VESA support in Glidos works well enough to get the initial splash screen. But that initial screen requires a button to pressed using the mouse, and Glidos's mouse support doesn't kick in during the VESA stage. Looks hopeful, but a lot of work (which I might be able to get back to with the RB pressure off).

Reply 11 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*Wonders idly how GliDOS would like working with Ken Silverman's VESA hack*
showthread.php?threadid=467

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

*Wonders idly how GliDOS would like working with Ken Silverman's VESA hack*

Hey that's clever. I wonder how he got in there to see what the problem was. Whether it works with Glidos? It is really whether the individual games that glidos supports will like it. TR1: I think not. I can get my VESA stuff to tell TR that certain modes don't exist, and TR just goes ahead and uses them anyway.

Might help AD though. Well spotted

Reply 13 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm. Just realised that my VESA stuff- at the moment - tells the prgram that linear frame buffer modes aren't supported, so my stuff will work only in cases where his should. Definitely worth a try.

Reply 15 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like an English sentence to me, but difficult to see what I'm driving at, I admit.

Ken's approach has the disadvantage of relying on games having a fall back if linear frame buffer support isn't available. What I'm saying is that the linear frame buffer isn't supported by my simple VESA emulation, so if my scheme works for a particular game, then so should his.

The advantage with his approach is that you still get the full emulation provided by your video card (except fot the linear frame buffer). His way may be slow, but mine will always be slower. Also with his way, things like mouse support may still work without further emulation work.

If I forget to try this out on Archimedian Dynasty, can someone remind me?

Reply 18 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ken's NOLFB does almost solve the problems with Archimedian Dynasty.

160 bytes and it solves this major VESA problem. Elegance!

Still not quite there though: unlike with my VESA stuff, the mouse pointer appears; but it is stuck in a little rectangle top left of the screen, so still I can't press the button to get to the next screen.

Reply 19 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this: showthread.php?threadid=139

Hell, if you can improve it, that would be even better.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto