VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi people,

I'm trying to find screenshots of this bundle, to make sure it did exist and hopefully my brain is not playing tricks on my memories!

The joystick was this one:

http://www.computertek.com/shopping/tagsale/i … tick_qs123a.jpg
http://www.quickshot.com/images/game_controll … rs/warrior5.jpg

The speakers were tiny and extremely weak, didn't have any volume control and were not auto-amplified.

The soundcard, if I remember correctly, was a clone of Creative's Soundblaster 2.0 (or maybe even an authentic Soundblaster, I'm not sure)

Does anyone remember this bundle? Did anyone have it or see it at the stores?

Reply 1 of 22, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I definitely owned that joystick at one point in time. Didn't come with anything bundled though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah I remember this! 🤣
the speakers were actually 2 pc-speakers (like the ones in computer cases) in some small housing... tottaly un-amplified and terrible sounding... ah... those were the days

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 22, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have seen that soundcard up for auction just a couple of weeks ago. It looked *EXACTLY* like the Creative SB 2.0, meaning it also had sockets for the two optional C/MS chips and a 3rd socket for the PAL, but the silkscreening was replaced with "Quickshot" and probably their name for the card (can't remember how it was called).

Reply 4 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the Quickshot Joystick here, and have a set of such speakers here too. I got the speaker with a soundblaster clone. It was the first soundcard that I bought, in fact, the first hardware that I bought. The joystick came seperate though. I cannot remember much about the soundcard, it was an ISA sound blaster clone, it had a volume wheel. Wish I knew more about it, but the system with the soundcard was sold.

is this it?:
Quickshot QS803

The speakers I have here are labeled ML-108WA.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 22, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I believe that's the card that came bundled in the box! It was many years ago, so I'm not 100% sure. But judging from that photo I would say I'm 95% sure! 😉

Ahhh, now I'm remembering that damn volume control at the back of the computer. It was such a hassle to manipulate it!!

Could you please take a photo of the speakers if it's not too much trouble?

Kind regards.

Reply 6 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, I already made a photo, just have to upload it.
In the past I removed the cord on the back and put tulip/coax connectors there instead. Serious stuff. 😉

Now who has a picture of the box?

Attachments

• speakers_s.jpg
    Filename
    speakers_s.jpg
    File size
    58.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mini Speakers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 22, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmm, I'm afraid those weren't the ones I had.

Mine were white, and rectangular. Though I think that they also sported the same "compact disc" logo.

Hehe, maybe they put the logo to mislead people into thinking they could have "compact disc" quality with those tiny speakers! 😜

Keropi, were your speakers also rectangular and white?

Reply 8 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never had the bundle but I do remember them being rectangular and white too...
The bundle was advertised frequently on greek magazines of the time, that's why I remember it 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 22, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

the clone card exists as per the link given
above and i can confirm that it doesn't
have any IC sockets.

here is a picture (front and back) of the
one i have. i posted these earlier in another
thread about the sb 2.0 here:
Creative SoundBlaster 2.0 8-bit ISA sound card, quick test

p1010442pz.th.jpg

p1010432d.th.jpg

it would be interesting to see what the original packaging looked like
as i have never seen it having got this card on ebay about 5 years
or so ago.

bye

Reply 10 of 22, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my memories of those times are a bit too faint to remember the exact details of the package, though I think it was mainly a black box, with green and red letters on the upper part and a photograph of the devices in the middle.

Do you remember the box art, Keropi?

I'd love to be able to see images of the box and the speakers, because that was the very first soundcard I had in my life. And when I was a child I was completely blown away by the sound quality. I had only listened to the internal pc speaker before that, and the difference was like night and day for me!

Reply 11 of 22, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the bundle you're referring to is the QuickShot Sound Machine.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 12 of 22, by 33black

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Late to the party!

I know this post is 4 years old but I came across it while googling and wanted to solve the mystery. I had that exact same bundle, here's the photo of it with my CPU back in 1993: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10903383/ … %2013.51.30.jpg

My dad passed away last year from cancer and that kinda got me on a kick of certain things from my childhood. He had bought me this Packard Bell when I started high school and it totally took over my world. I ran a BBS on it for a few years, put Linux on it with a terminal next to my bed at one point, upgraded it, took it apart and put it back together a million times, etc. It was one thing that he, being a hobby techie himself, and I shared and I really enjoyed growing up.

Unfortunately what I've come across is that the 725DX model is REALLY hard to find. I want to have that exact setup in the photo. Odd request, maybe, but I'd really appreciate any help or leads anyone has. I did just see the keyboard brand new on eBay for like $75 which is a BIT much...I'm probably going to have to put this together piecemeal. I don't want to necessarily spend an arm and a leg on it, but we'll see.

This is sort of going to be my side project to try and wait it out and get that EXACT setup. I remember it well. I'd love to find that bundle again in pieces even. We also got a Cyrix 387 co-processor for it.

Reply 13 of 22, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine had an Escom Pentium computer with the square speakers and a QuickShot QS-113 joystick. The speakers had the Media Vision logo on them and the soundcard drivers were also from Media Vision if I recall correctly. He bought the soundcard, joystick, speakers, mic and I believe the CD-ROM drive as a kit.

YouTube

Reply 14 of 22, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah yeah, old thread... but relevant info:

I had the Quickshot Sound Machine from this kit and a Soundblaster 2.0 CT1350B at the same time a while ago. It looks like component-for-component they are identical. Even the font they used for the "Sound Machine" logo looks like something out of the Creative design dept.

[ 2020 edit: ph*tob^cket links removed. The fact that I'm STILL zapping these things in the new decade should give you an idea of what I think about that site and its corporate shenanigans. The removed photo was of a Quickshot Sound Machine next to a Soundblaster 2.0 CT1350B, as indicated above. If anyone needs this back, PM me and I'll dig it up and attach it properly.]

Ended up keeping one and giving one away - and now I have NO idea which one I hung on to! Not that it matters.

Last edited by xjas on 2020-01-08, 09:11. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 15 of 22, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, long time lurker and first time poster here on Vogons.org. I currently have both Sound Machine's QS803 ISA sound card from '92 and Sound Blaster 2.0 from '91. They are so similar that they both obviously came from same factory. I guess it's safe to say QS803 practically is SB2.0.

20151105_144658_HDR_zpsr7qy8xhr.jpg

Last edited by Ariakos on 2015-11-23, 16:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 22, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems it HAD to have been made by Creative, since it uses the original Creative chip, with branding and everything. Even the Sound Machine PCB has a Creative copyright printed on it.
I guess Creative made a deal with QuickShot, and the 'Sound Machine' is some kind of rebranded OEM version made for them. I had never heard of it 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 17 of 22, by HxCSweep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this thread may be dead but were these the speakers? If so anyone have any info on them. I have lost the power adapter and they do not designate the voltage or amperage

Attachments

Reply 18 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Photo of the box can be seen on this picture - lower left corner:

xO2pq99l.jpg

Unfortunately the speakers are missing. Although I have very similar ones.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now have this bundle - new in box but box is in terrible shape
I can take pics if anyone wants