VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D continued

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 146, by Mahoney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I were about to buy a new joystick setup for flight-sims, I'd wait a month (or less?) and get the new ThrustMaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback stick. Contains a throttle, force feedback (very nice for prop sims, you can "feel" the plane begin to stall), a twist grip for rudder OR a rocker switch on the throttle for rudder (selectable) and you can split the throttle off from the stick. Very nice bit of kit.

Rob

Reply 81 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Still not sure what joystick to buy. For now, I want one with a twisting yoke, but I've seen some terrible reviews about the Precision 2. They say it is no where near as good as the one it replaces. Maybe the Precision Pro 2 is better. Also there's the Top Gun Fox Pro, but there seems to be about four different flavours of that. The shock version has fairly bad reviews.

Any last thoughts before I commit to one or other?

M$ Precision Pro.........No FF.

Some people claim a reduction in framerates with the FF stick.

Reply 82 of 146, by ~~~E~~~

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WilliVonBill wrote:

I have noticed that with the current version of the wrapper, the occurance of graphic corruption or 'funky black tiles' appears to have lessened. When I do get tile corruption, it is limited to only a few tiles or plane part .bmps. In some balloon busting missions I've had no graphic corruption. This is certainly an improvement from my dedicated RB PC with a Voodoo 5500. Without limiting the texture memory to 2 Megs on the Voodoo, graphic corruptions would not only occur, but would spread until almost the entire landscape and a good deal of the planes would have a notably 'surreal' appearance.

I caution that this is on my machine, so the performance will certainly vary from PC to PC.

WilliVonBill

I am running a 1.4 athlon, 700+ram, V5500, and with the current PL, I get the same psychedellic display or see plane parts in the clouds, the terrain or aa bursts in front of me. The hope at Tailwind is that someone will be able to restructure the codes to correct for the graphics limitation, obviously without affecting the game in some other way. With Glidos coming on strong, it would be great to increase the quality of the potential for graphics in RB. I have no idea if this is feasible, even with the codes, without a major effort though. When talking about this matter, I have had to stumble around with the words, but the concept is easily understandable.

E

Reply 84 of 146, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The wrapper version I originally wrote that comment about was the 9/22/02 version (0.06b12, I think?). With the 9/27/02 version I starting getting a greater amount of corruption. After a little experimentation I finally figured out the difference was caused by the sun glare. When I turned off sun glare using the latest wrapper, the amount of corruption again decreased appreciably. I've also started using a resized PL flak add-on I found at Flybert's site. It basically made the .bmps in the PL flak just a bit smaller and more uniform. This also seems to have further reduced the amount of corruption. Rabu also had a 'half sized' 4 seasons terrain patch available at one time. It was basically the same as his high-rez terrain, but half the .bmp size. As I recall it looked pretty good and was less demanding graphically than the full size hi-rez terrains such as the Tom Winters, the original Rabu 4 Seasons, or the PL terrains. I should think that the less graphically demanding terrain would also help fight the 'funky squares'.....

Cheers!

Reply 85 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Still not sure what joystick to buy. For now, I want one with a twisting yoke, but I've seen some terrible reviews about the Precision 2. They say it is no where near as good as the one it replaces. Maybe the Precision Pro 2 is better. Also there's the Top Gun Fox Pro, but there seems to be about four different flavours of that. The shock version has fairly bad reviews.

Any last thoughts before I commit to one or other?

My older MS PP has worked with everything i've thrown at it on 98SE and seems to be in the same condition as the day I bought it. If you can find one of those at pricewatch or somewhere for around $20 thats what i'd get.

IMPORTANT I THINK: When running RB3D in actual glide the cursor in the main game window has always been corrupted. It will display various textures from one instance to the next and never an actual cursor texture. Sometimes its hard to see, other times easier, usually looks semi-transparent and square.

Richitis would have been my second guess after Mjapson. 🤣

Reply 86 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hentzau wrote:

My older MS PP has worked with everything i've thrown at it on 98SE and seems to be in the same condition as the day I bought it. If you can find one of those at pricewatch or somewhere for around thats what i'd get.

Sounds good. How do I recognise an offer as being for the older version?

IMPORTANT I THINK: When running RB3D in actual glide the cursor in the main game window has always been corrupted. It will display various textures from one instance to the next and never an actual cursor texture. Sometimes its hard to see, other times easier, usually looks semi-transparent and square.

Thanks. Again saves wasted effort.

Reply 87 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WilliVonBill wrote:

The wrapper version I originally wrote that comment about was the 9/22/02 version (0.06b12, I think?). With the 9/27/02 version I starting getting a greater amount of corruption

That would have to be a bug in the wrapper. If I regenerate 0.006b12, would you mind doing tests to confirm this? THing is it could easily be something else you changed at the same time.

Hang on, it could still be an RB bug triggered by that fact that sun glare is now enabled. Testing with Sun glare turned off could be good to (probably in Summer mode too, because some of the seasons seem to have lighting effects forced on).

Reply 88 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Sounds good. How do I recognise an offer as being for the older version?

Look at http://www.pricewatch.com under "Game Hardware" then "Sidewinder". I see one listed, but you might want to either call or email the actual shop selling them. Think it was 3DShop or something like that.

My MS Precision Pro's product ID is 85791-579-8870417-00000 part no. X03-57540 It should have a "shift" type button just to the rear of the throttle to give you 14 buttons to profile instead of 7.

Reply 89 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hentzau wrote:

Look at http://www.pricewatch.com under "Game Hardware" then "Sidewinder". I see one listed, but you might want to either call or email the actual shop selling them. Think it was 3DShop or something like that.

Thanks. Exactly the info I asked for... but I'm in the UK, so it might be better if I can find a UK outlet.

It was the Precision 2 that had the bad reviews, not the Precision Pro 2, and I can get a PP2 easily. Anybody here using a PP2, and happy with it. (Maybe I should reread the whole thread).

Reply 90 of 146, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"If I regenerate 0.006b12, would you mind doing tests to confirm this?"

No need, I have all of the versions of the wrapper carefully stowed away and can easily switch them for testing. 😉

I have a great early morning summer mission to test it with. Lots of sun glare, lots of planes in the sky at once, lots of flak, and a nice bright pillar of flame and smoke from a German Drachen going down to its doom.... 😁

In short, a mission guaranteed to produce graphic corruption.

I'll test 0.006b12 and 0.006b13 this weekend and try to winkle out the differences.

Cheers!

Reply 96 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Can I have it. 😁 😁

One of the FEW things Microsloth actually got right?

........No way bubba.

😁

You might try E-Bay.........Most of the volksherren that have them tend to keep them, but maybe someone upgraded to a 2 joystick setup.

.........Read carefully their reason for getting rid of it.

😀

Reply 97 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VonHelton wrote:

One of the FEW things Microsloth actually got right?

........No way bubba.

😁

I'm bitterly disappointed. I thought you'd put it straight in the post 😁

You might try E-Bay.........Most of the volksherren that have them tend to keep them, but maybe someone upgraded to a 2 joystick setup.

.........Read carefully their reason for getting rid of it.

😀

Think I'm settling on the PP2 now. I've read more reviews now. I think it is probably a reasonably safe bet.

Thanks to everybody for the advice