Topic actions

Reply 22 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis

Looking at this reminds me of Project IGI... that game was awesome. Quite tactical, required a bit of thinking before doing... for def not your typical running around and shoot at everything FPS.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 23 of 81, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorites are based on singleplayer mostly, also not in any particular order.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
This game is beyond anything I've ever played, oozes atmosphere like a reactor emits radiation.

Terranova: Strikeforce Centauri
Played this a long time ago and liked it a lot, though I'm somewhat curious how well it holds up today.
Quite remarkable at the time as you controlled a squad and had outdoor levels.

Star Wars Dark Forces
Underrated too in how innovative it was, levels with mechanisms that had a puzzle element and the first FPS where you could crouch (I think) so behold the crawling through duct levels.

No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2
Excellent all the way, superb levels, superb characters, superb humor (though less so in part 2).

System Shock
Even though the game looks crab even back in 1994/1995 when I played it, gameplay, story and atmosphere is where it shines.
It's so much more than a mere shooter and does it well too, most of todays games struggle to achieve what this game did decades ago (Bioshock, Dead Space).

Star Trek: Elite Force
Merely a competent game to be honest, but apart from the original series and movies I detest Star Trek with a grudge, and for me to like a game based upon it is quite an accomplishement.

Half Life
Nowadays mostly hated because this game fell victim to its own success and a lof of FPS's copied its heavily scripted gameplay, the only thing is in Half Life the scripting was done a lot better with respect to the player than in games that copied it.

Unreal
Cool survival FPS with excellent aesthetic leveldesign, its a long game as well.

Doom
I like Doom but to be honest I never played or felt the need to play beyond the shareware version.

Quake
There is something about these gothic levels that appeals to me, also one of the few games I played over LAN.

Red Faction
This is like the videogame adaption of Total Recall (1990).

Project IGI
I like it because it has a certain atmosphere and nice and clean levels and not strictly linear levels.

Ghost Recon
More of a tactical shooter but good anyways and a lot better than it's bloated sequels.

Delta Force
Liked the openended approach to each level and these sort of military shooters where something new back then.

Underappreciated FPS's.

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter
For a consoleport this is very good with nice levels, in other words if you liked '80s and '90s action movies you will like this.
The seamless spacefighter to FPS transistion though gimmicky is rather cool and only until recently Star Citizen is doing the same, although on a larger scale.

Alpha Prime
Pretty slick sci-fi shooter where you play an anti-hero old man, it also has a hilariously cringeworthy moment of voice acting.

Pariah
I don't know why this game was hammered into the ground, think it's a great sci-fi romp and had fun playing it.

IGI 2 Covert Strike
Admittedly, this game wasn't love at first sight but it grew on me and the later levels are besides being visually attractive also more diverse than the first game.
Gameplay is harder than the first as well so be warned.

Chrome
A tactical sci-fi shooter with with very nice outdoor levels and have to shoot you way indoors, a bit like Far Cry.

Shogo
Surprisingly this game gets a lot of flak for being very hard, I played through it several times though and like the anime style.

Crysis
Maybe not so much underappriciated as taken for granted, still this game hasn't aged (yet) which is quite an accomplishment.

Unreal 2
Quite a departure from the first one and admittedly not as good, though if you take a rest while playing so to see how nice the levels look.

FPS's I don't like.

Soldier of Fortune 2, gave it another try recently to see if I misjudged it earlier and came to the conclusion I was way too generous with my previous judgement.
Serious Sam, though I like the leveldesign, I don't like the weapons and enemies very much, if they spam you with enemies at least give enough ammo so that I can take them on.
Thief, after a promising first level they killed it with zombies, never looked back since, okay technically this maybe isn't a shooter.
Quake 2, really what a meh game this is.
Far Cry 2, could have been such a nice game, let down by shit aesthetics (literally), ADHD enemies and weapons that are apparently made of cheese.
Pretty much every game made with the build engine, Duke3d, Blood, Shadow Warrior etc., hard for me to appreciate the sexist/cheap/toilet humor and aimbot enemies, never even made it past the shareware versions of these games.

Reply 24 of 81, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Crysis
Doom
Doom 3
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Duke Nukem 3D
F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Far Cry 4
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Outlaws
Quake
Quake II
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Star Wars: Dark Forces
The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Unreal
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 26 of 81, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

I don't think i've ever seen so many FPS on one computer before! ... You must have quite a bit of storage space!?

Guardian of the Saintly Five Terabytes of Gaming Goodness™
(actually closer to 7)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 27 of 81, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with the Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Great game.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 28 of 81, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake II - blew my socks off back in 1998! No other shooter games ever gave me such an adrenaline rush and the perfect soundtrack is a big part of it. Although, I have to admit that I am more into multiplayer games and this is exactly where this game really shines.

Games that are more into pure action in alphabetical order:

Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake III: Arena
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Unreal Tournament 1999

Games that are more into atmosphere in alphabetical order:

Alien versus Predator
Doom 3
Half-Life
Hexen II
Unreal

Judging by YouTube:

Half-Life 2 - seems also atmospheric
Soldier of Fortune 1 - seems fun

I also heard a lot of good stuff about Deus Ex, System Shock, System Shock 2, but haven't played those. Probably also worth to mention games that I haven't played like Blood, Doom, Doom 2, Descent, Descent 2, SiN, Turok 2.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2015-11-08, 21:06. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 29 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I agree with all your worst FPS choices except for the original DOOM. It is blocky, but I find the graphics quite beautiful compared to DOOM 2. Its' also pretty interesting to find somebody who hates quake. I thought it was just me.

I can't believe someone actually fell for that. It's obviously a joke based on "modern" gamers. 🤣

I guess I am the only one who hates quake afterall. I also still don't get the "joke". I guess Rise of the Triad is supposed to be a really shitty game?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 30 of 81, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I guess Rise of the Triad is supposed to be a really shitty game?

I suppose, lll marked what she likes in opposite way. ROTT was ugly.
Quake single player was fun, but boring after 1st episode for me, never finished it completely. Played mostly in multiplayer.
I did not like Far Cry.

In 2000s I liked: COD 4, Stalker. Cost an attention: Deus Ex: HR, Half Life 2.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 31 of 81, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making a top 10 list of my favourite genre of PC game is never easy, or probably accurate. But here goes...

1) Quake
2) Deus Ex
3) System Shock 2
4) Quake III / Quake Live (Orange Smoothie Productions)
5) Metro Last Light
6) STALKER : Shadow Of Chernobyl
7) Ultimate Doom
😎 Return To Castle Wolfenstein <------ 🤣!
9) WolfenStein New Order / Old Blood
10) Terminator : Skynet

Honourable Mentions

Half Life, Quake 4, TRON 2.0, Doom 3, Survarium, FEAR, Serious Sam First Encounter HD, Call Of Duty 2, Medal Of Honour : Allied Assault.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 32 of 81, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also heard a lot of good stuff about Deus Ex, System Shock, System Shock 2, but haven't played those.

In a way I envy you, oh the joys of playing those games for the first time.

Reply 33 of 81, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

I also heard a lot of good stuff about Deus Ex, System Shock, System Shock 2, but haven't played those.

I will as soon as I build my first retro PC. I have a bunch of retro PC stuff in my closed, but I haven't had a chance to build one. I am looking for a few exclusive parts to get it started.

I am surprised that you have Quake 4 installed on your PC because it's the worst Quake game in the series and nobody even wants to pay $5 for it on eBay.

Reply 34 of 81, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I enjoyed Quake 4, certainly single player wise its better than Q3
UT99 was also better than Q3 imho, if Q3 had come with Team Arena it would of closed the gap but it still would of lost

Reply 35 of 81, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

UT99 was also better than Q3 imho, if Q3 had come with Team Arena it would of closed the gap but it still would of lost

I agree on this one at least when it comes to casual gaming. Q3 is better for professional competition.

Reply 36 of 81, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I guess Rise of the Triad is supposed to be a really shitty game?

Leilei has expressed hatred for the new ROTT game quite a few times. The one that was released in 2013.

Reply 37 of 81, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

I also heard a lot of good stuff about Deus Ex, System Shock, System Shock 2, but haven't played those. Probably also worth to mention games that I haven't played like Blood, Doom, Doom 2, Descent, Descent 2, SiN, Turok 2.

I think I have to agree with that idiot "TotalBiscuit" who said on his youtube channel that Deus Ex was the best game ever made. Did you see him trying to play it? It was horrific. He sucks so bad at gaming... regardless, he was right. It is the best game ever made. I came late to the DX party, I think I first played it in 2003. On the one hand that was bad, because I had been jamming around on the Doom 3 alpha and in comparison DX visuals were already aging. On the other hand, it was great because my Ti4800se + Pentium 4 2.4Ghz ran the game maxed out in 1600x1200. Since my first play through, I have probably beaten the game a dozen times. I usually play it once a year, maybe every two years these days. It never gets old. It never gets boring. Every time I play through DX, I am instantly reminded why it is the best game ever made.

System Shock II is more my style. Sci-Fi horror FPS game with a totally sick plot line. I enjoy playing SS2 more than I do Deus Ex. Although I realise DX is the better game, System Shock 2 is just flawless. Much smaller and far more linear, it doesn't matter. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the pacing and the soundtrack just come together perfectly.

So yeah, play them. Get the DX New Visions maybe, I heard that just got released. Or at least get the DX10 launcher by Kentie. Lets you set widescreen resolution, adds DX10 lighting and lets you play on modern PC's with no errors as you can set the engine and framerate cap to 60. Come back in 2 weeks and tell us which ending you went for! 😎

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 38 of 81, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ahendricks18 wrote:

I agree with the Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Great game.

I played that one but it seemed like it was over too quickly. I don't play a lot of online multiplayer so the single player mode in games is important to me. If I can whiz through a game in single player mode in a short amount of time, I feel cheated.

I actually liked making my way through the ruins of Pripyat in COD 4 better. That was probably the only part of COD 4 that really stood out for me because I have a fascination for abandoned places and have always wanted to be able to visit the Chernobyl exclusion zone one day.

Reply 39 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

If you leave it long enough between plays.... ~ 10 years, it almost will be.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks