VOGONS

First post, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After my experience last month with getting five Voodoo three cards in to get a good one from an Ebayer seller..

Just got my AWE64 in today, typically bad packaging arriving with bent wavetable header pins, and bent caps, only to top it off with a very burnt voltage regulator, (and the surface mount resistor next to it).. Sigh.. Maybe the next order will be better.. 😀

Why the !@$#@$ do these sellers list this stuff as "tested, working" with such obvious problems? The last guy probably spent $40+ in postage when he could have simply tested a video card on the bench.

Grrrr...

Reply 1 of 18, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i feel your pain.. try ordering 500$+ synthesizers that have broken pitch bender wheels..
i just got back from driving to pick up my stuff after having 3 of my juno keyboards repaired.. cost me about 1000$ in gas money + repair charges + replacement parts .. 2 of the 3 were ebay purchases listed as "mint condition" yea right

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 2 of 18, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone else here got a CT4500 which they could reference these two parts?? (see image)

This image was taken from Google, this section is somewhat burnt on mine. I need to figure out the regulator and the resistor just in case I wind up with this board and try to save it with a repair.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 18, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oldbitcollector wrote:

Has anyone else here got a CT4500 which they could reference these two parts?? (see image)

This image was taken from Google, this section is somewhat burnt on mine. I need to figure out the regulator and the resistor just in case I wind up with this board and try to save it with a repair.

I've got one right in front of me. The regulator is an ST MAL 9722 78M05. Also, C95 is not a resistor, but a surface mount capacitor. The "C" in C95 indicates it is a capacitor. I will see if I can get you some close-up shots of the card tomorrow.

Reply 4 of 18, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That would be fantastic. In fairness to the Ebay seller, they refunded the amount promptly. I'm waiting to see if they want the card returned. If not, I'd love to take a shot at saving it.

Last edited by Oldbitcollector on 2015-11-11, 04:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of eBay sellers are dumb as dog shit and that is on a good day, the good ones usually work out a solution but the dreaded ones come up with endless excuses or idle threats.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone already did...
http://www.retrocomputing.net/parts/c/creativ … 00/ct4500_1.gif

The 78M05 is a standard 5V linear regulator. You just need one in DPAK format from any of the usual suspects. I'm guessing Creative didn't stray too far from the reference circuits. The Fairchild datasheet specifies 300pF on the input (C95) and 100pF on the output (C96). You could even bodge in a through hole cap as a replacement.

My only concern would be if anything else was torched by whatever blew the ass out of that reg.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 18, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@gdjacobs: Boom! that is exactly what I needed.. I'll tie 5v/Gnd into the output side from one of my USB microcontroller circuits off my workbench and see if the card even starts making reasonable sounds. I'm getting clicks/pops right now, so there *might* be hope.

Reply 8 of 18, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking for a 486 on Ebay for a build I am working on and found this board for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOYO-Socket-3-Motherb … D8AAOSw~OdVeeZW

Seems to be completely missing the bios battery, which is too bad as it looks like it used a standard cr2032 coil cell. It has three 72 pin sticks installed, but only shows 1024K of ram.

But it's "Rare WORKING IN GREAT WORKING AND VISUAL CONDITION !", hence why its only $131.

Reply 9 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Soyo board actually uses regular NiCD barrel rechargeable battery. Usually it's better to remove it due to leakage.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 18, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
l.neidlinger wrote:
I was looking for a 486 on Ebay for a build I am working on and found this board for sale: […]
Show full quote

I was looking for a 486 on Ebay for a build I am working on and found this board for sale:

Seems to be completely missing the bios battery, which is too bad as it looks like it used a standard cr2032 coil cell. It has three 72 pin sticks installed, but only shows 1024K of ram.

But it's "Rare WORKING IN GREAT WORKING AND VISUAL CONDITION !", hence why its only $131.

Don't know what this has to do with the thread, but you can clearly see acid corrosion where the battery should be.

Reply 11 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It just shows how some sellers on eBay misrepresent what they sell. The board is clearly not functioning as it's supposed to and to spice it up look at the price 😲

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 18, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
l.neidlinger wrote:
I was looking for a 486 on Ebay for a build I am working on and found this board for sale: […]
Show full quote

k-systemstore was a preferable seller in the past. Reasonable prices and such. He always had the bad habit of marketing almost everything as "working" though, but was also easy in refunding. Now everything he sells are quite inflated pricewise.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both C10 and C35 are performing simple noise filtration and look to be the same series, possibly with the same capacitance and esr. I'd try to find a close match to C35 and use that.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found that I had a CT4500 stored.
I measured C95 in circuit, and across those points the capacitance was 183uF both directions. That's probably not very helpful because obviously that much capacitance isn't coming from that 1 little ceramic cap.
From appearance, it looks the same as C96, C80, C81, and C78 which are scattered nearby. It is smaller than the size used at C94 and C79.

C10 and C35 are both the same. On my card they are 10uF 16v 85C rated.
I took pictures of the card from a few directions. They try to show the area where you said your card is burned, but it may still be hard to see the details. The angles are too shallow because of the tripod, and my lighting isn't good either.

I'm being told there's a limit of 5 picture attachments. I'll post the last pic in the next post, which shows the markings for capacitor C10.

Attachments

• angle5.jpg
    Filename
    angle5.jpg
    File size
    624.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • angle4.jpg
    Filename
    angle4.jpg
    File size
    497.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • angle3.jpg
    Filename
    angle3.jpg
    File size
    407.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • angle2.jpg
    Filename
    angle2.jpg
    File size
    461.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • angle1.jpg
    Filename
    angle1.jpg
    File size
    433.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by shamino on 2015-11-13, 04:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the last picture. It shows the manufacturer/etc markings on the back side of C35. I'm guessing it's just a cheap general purpose capacitor.
I accidentally photographed C35, not C10, but It's exactly the same as C10.

Attachments

• angle6.jpg
    Filename
    angle6.jpg
    File size
    503.46 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

A lot of eBay sellers are dumb as dog shit and that is on a good day, the good ones usually work out a solution but the dreaded ones come up with endless excuses or idle threats.

I think you just insulted the intelligence of dog shit.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.