VOGONS

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I been out of the retro pc gang for too long and I want a old PC now! 🤣

OK so for this build I have the fallowing parts.
abit vp6, 2gb ram, voodoo3000, via sound card, IDE dvd drive, a pair of 750mhz 100fsb PIII, an 80mm fan, and HEC 7106BB case

I need a hard drive, fdd drives, spray paint 😉 , PSU, 2 60mm fans, heat sinks for the cpu's, faster cpu's and a OS.

Q&A
"Why the paint?"
The paint will be beige or a off white and for painting the case.

"But that abit board does not have an isa slot, how will dos games work" 😵.
I'll have 2 Pentium 3's I can use dos-box or some sort of emulator 😎

"But very few older games have smp support, how will a dual PIII system be of any use?"
You are right, but why should I care about that? it's a dual P3 setup and the parts are cheap. It's all for the fun and epeen.

"What about the OS?"
I'd like to use NT4, but for DX and driver support I will be using 2k.

"Why the VIA sound card?"
I have it lying around and will be puting it to use.

"What cpu's will you be upgrading too?"
I don't know. maybe 1.4ghz's Pentium 3s, If I can get it too work. Otherwise it will be a pair of 1 or 1.1ghz 100mhz FSB Pentium 3's running at 133mhz FSB.

"Are you open to any suggestions?"
Yes I am. I'd like to see what ideas you guys have.

"When are you starting this build?"
Once I revive the case, should be about this time next week.

PS sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited by saturn on 2015-11-14, 17:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 46, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

YES!!! another SMP machine 😀
There are a few of us here that think more CPU's the better (even though really they aren't)
Here is mine for inspiration
Asus P2B-DS Build

Looking forward to the pics!

Reply 2 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
YES!!! another SMP machine :) There are a few of us here that think more CPU's the better (even though really they aren't) Here […]
Show full quote

YES!!! another SMP machine 😀
There are a few of us here that think more CPU's the better (even though really they aren't)
Here is mine for inspiration
Asus P2B-DS Build

Looking forward to the pics!

Not to bad looking. How hot do the cpu's run without fans on them?

I would not go and say that more CPU's are not better. There are uses for for a dual cpu setup, such as for playing quake 3 and server stuff. I believe the proper term would be "practical", which they are not.
A dual cpu system would be a killer lan party server/gaming system. Game on one cpu wile using the other for the server stuff. That and with something like BSD or Linux it can make for a ok daily pc too.

I wonder if recaping the abit vp6 would be worth wile?

Reply 3 of 46, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the Antec case the CPS's are fine, but then there are 3 80MM fans right near them now 😀 Top, back and side. I doubt the Compaq's they originally were from had as much airflow. I don't have official numbers but even after long periods of playing something a bit more demanding they are just warm to touch. The first case they were hot.

Reply 4 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

In the Antec case the CPS's are fine, but then there are 3 80MM fans right near them now 😀 Top, back and side. I doubt the Compaq's they originally were from had as much airflow. I don't have official numbers but even after long periods of playing something a bit more demanding they are just warm to touch. The first case they were hot.

OK, I was looking thought your link and saw that you changed the case out. The newer one look much better for keeping the CPU's cool

Any ideas on the 2 60mm fans? I have about 10$ budget on those. I'm thinking of getting a set of EVERCOOL FAN-EC6010M12CA.
I'm going with a pair of NOS ascent cpu coolers.

Reply 5 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not to doble or post, but I just went on a shopping spree for this system.
I got a 80gb umda100 Hdd, 5.25 and 3.5 fdd, fdd cables, and psu. I'll be recapping the motherboard and making some ram sinks for the voodoo. Might even over volt it.

Last edited by saturn on 2015-11-14, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 46, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! I have a dual p3 500 setup on an Epox board. I lens tinkering with it quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing your build progress...and pics!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 7 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some of the parts I have now.
The voodoo3000 has some sort of chipset heat sink on it and a ddr ramsink on the back. If I recall I was able to hit 195mhz with this card. With some ramsinks I should be able to hit 200mhz and 220mhz with a volt mod. The last owner seem to have cherry picked the CPUs, look at the serial numbers! The caps look ok. But it's best if I were to replace them.

Last edited by saturn on 2015-11-14, 17:54. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 10 of 46, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
saturn wrote:

The caps look ok. But it's best if I were to replace them.

Your motherboard seems has TEAPO capacitors, it is quite good capacitors.
I think unnecessary to replace them.

Excellent motherboard, BTW!!

Reply 11 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i386 wrote:
Your motherboard seems has TEAPO capacitors, it is quite good capacitors. I think unnecessary to replace them. […]
Show full quote
saturn wrote:

The caps look ok. But it's best if I were to replace them.

Excellent motherboard, BTW!!

i know. But the 16v 1000uf caps are going bad. And for what it's worth I may as well do them all. I want to oc the system and is like it to be as stalbe as posable too.

I was just good to go with just windows2k but I was able to get a copy of it for cheep so I picked up a copy of rhel3 for the fun of it. It was only 8$ and I like redhat.

Reply 13 of 46, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say more CPUs the better, especially for running modern software, written for hyperthreading and multicore technology. My dual 1GHz PIII system runs GNU/Linux better than my single Athlon 2100+, especially when it comes to streaming video.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 14 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:

I recapped motherboards professionally for about a decade and I don't agree.
I've probably replaced enough bad Teapos to fill a 55 gallon trash can.

Teapo 8mm diameter or larger usually do not do well on motherboards.
The smaller Teapo normally do fine even on mobos.
In PSU's larger Teapo usually do okay (but not always) and again, the smaller ones almost never fail.
(The small ones almost never fail in any brand though.)

There are many brands that are worse than Teapo but Teapo are not in the 'quite good ' category.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 15 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've liked dual CPU boards since the BX chipset was a new thing.
My first was an Intel N440BX. I still have a couple of those boards collecting dust.
My favorite nostalgia dual CPU setup is dual Tualatin, 1.4GHZ P-III-S.
I have a dual AMD setup that I never actually used (and at the moment all I remember is it's a Tyan board).
My 'every day' PC sports a Supermicro X7DAL-E with dual-quad L5420 Xeons.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 16 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The way I look at it, if the board is over 10 years old and will A: be overclocked B: used hard or maxed out C: used on a daily basis or D: shows a sings of having bad cap. You should replace the caps.

P.S Or E: is a dell gx270 🤣

Reply 18 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You didn't mention that this is an Abit VP6. I picked up on it in one of the photos.
VERY GOOD BOARD.
Worked on a few but never owned one. Mostly because I'm being a cheap-skate when I see them.
I have a pair of AOpen DX34R-U which are basically the same except you have the Apollo Pro 133A chipset and these have 133T.
They came with Chemicon and Rubycon caps from the factory although two are a bad series (TMV IIRC) and should be replaced.
The AOpen DX34R-U is pretty rare for some reason. Dunno why. It's a really good board.
Looks like this.

DX34R-U.jpg
Filename
DX34R-U.jpg
File size
131.51 KiB
Views
File comment
AOpen DX34R-U
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I stated in the OP that I was going to use a vp6 and even posted a pic of it aways back...

image.jpeg

Yep that's a brushless motor on a 5 1/4 floppy drive. I wonder if there is any truth to the 360rpms it states on the label.

I got the 1ghz p3s today!

image.jpeg

New old stock stuff rules.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I know that they are not the best heatsinks, but for 12$ for the pair witch included shipping, I can't complain. With some mx4 they will do fine, even with overclocking.