VOGONS

First post, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4.x on a blank 40GB IDE HDD. First stage of installation (that blue text-mode setup booted from the CD) goes fine. I create a 500MB-ish HPFS volume and install to it, but then when the installer reboots the machine and the newly installed OS/2 starts to boot it hangs on the logo screen. I see some disk activity for a while and then nothing happens.

Tried various versions available here (both 4.0 and 4.5, client and server) - the result is always the same.

My HW is P233MMX, 64MB RAM, two 40GB HDDs (one disabled in BIOS), S3 Virge, Voodoo 2 and SB16.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1230 Mk II 64MB (Motorola 68030 @ 50Mhz with a 68882 FPU), 4GB CompactFlash (IDE), Indivision AGA Mk2cr, ShineNet 10MBit/s PCMCIA ethernet adapter
Amiga 600, Motorola 68000 @ 7Mhz, 2 MB Chip RAM, 8MB Fast RAM, 4GB CompactFlash (IDE)

Reply 1 of 15, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you get to the GUI-Installer? It sounds to me, like a sort of hardware related issue.
Perhaps removing the V2?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Did you get to the GUI-Installer? It sounds to me, like a sort of hardware related issue.
Perhaps removing the V2?

It hangs while booting the GUI installer. Removing both Voodoo2 and SB16 did not help.

Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1230 Mk II 64MB (Motorola 68030 @ 50Mhz with a 68882 FPU), 4GB CompactFlash (IDE), Indivision AGA Mk2cr, ShineNet 10MBit/s PCMCIA ethernet adapter
Amiga 600, Motorola 68000 @ 7Mhz, 2 MB Chip RAM, 8MB Fast RAM, 4GB CompactFlash (IDE)

Reply 3 of 15, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does the BIOS settings look? Check if "Memmory hole" is enabled and "Boot to Os/2" is enabled.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you updated the Warp 4 disk with a hdd driver that supports that capacity drive? Al Savages OS/2 pages should help. http://asavage.dyndns.org/os2/warp4install/warp4install.html

Also once installed OS/2 does hang on the boot splash screen for a wee while.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:

How does the BIOS settings look? Check if "Memmory hole" is enabled and "Boot to Os/2" is enabled.

I don't have "Boot to OS/2" setting in my BIOS but have "OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64M". Already tried with that setting enabled/disabled and also every memory hole setting possible. Does not make any difference.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Have you updated the Warp 4 disk with a hdd driver that supports that capacity drive? Al Savages OS/2 pages should help. http://asavage.dyndns.org/os2/warp4inst ... stall.html

AFAIR Warp 4.5.x handles large IDE HDDs fine. At least it successfully installed in VirtualBox with disk setup mirroring that of the physical machine.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Also once installed OS/2 does hang on the boot splash screen for a wee while.

I waited about 20 minutes.

Reply 6 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Select Alt-F2 when you see the OS/2 boot blob top left. That'll show you whats loading and where the hang up is. Alt-F1 will give you a menu selection. See if it boots to the command prompt.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 15, by mjkerpan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The hard drive is too large. Out of the box, Warp 4 could only support IDE drives up to 8 GB. With the last free fix pack (FP 15), you could go larger, but that's not exactly helpful for getting things installed. Perhaps, you could look online for a copy of Warp 4.52, which is basically Warp 4 pre-updated with the latest fixpack.

Whatever you do, don't give up. OS/2 makes an awesome retro-computing platform with its excellent DOS and Win3.1 support and a bunch of cool stuff unique to it.

Reply 9 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

Select Alt-F2 when you see the OS/2 boot blob top left. That'll show you whats loading and where the hang up is. Alt-F1 will give you a menu selection. See if it boots to the command prompt.

It hangs while loading I2OSOSM.ADD.

mjkerpan wrote:

The hard drive is too large. Out of the box, Warp 4 could only support IDE drives up to 8 GB. With the last free fix pack (FP 15), you could go larger, but that's not exactly helpful for getting things installed. Perhaps, you could look online for a copy of Warp 4.52, which is basically Warp 4 pre-updated with the latest fixpack.

I'm already using Warp 4.52.

Reply 10 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MasterM wrote:
It hangs while loading I2OSOSM.ADD. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:

It hangs while loading I2OSOSM.ADD.

mjkerpan wrote:

I'm already using Warp 4.52.

I'd remove it from config.sys and see what happens 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I removed I2OSOSM.ADD from CONFIG.SYS and it hangs at next driver: IBMINT13.I13. Then I removed IBMINT13.I13 and it hangs on IBMIDECD.FLT. So I removed IBMIDECD.FTL and it hangs on XDFLOPPY.FLT...

All these drivers seem to be related to storage (I2OSOSM being "ISO Storage and Transportation Operating System Module" and IBMINT13 is, what I assume, a BIOS INT13H handler) but at this point it's hard to tell if all of those hang by themselves or just because I2OSOSM is not being loaded.

I also tried physically unplugging the second HDD but that not helped either.

Reply 13 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Got any other equipment? Maybe a ZIP drive?

Only floppy and IDE CD drive.

Reply 14 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MasterM wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

I remeber having trouble with Warp 3 refusing to boot due to a newer CD-drive. Had to install it using an older ASUS CD-ROM from 1999 and replace the IBMIDECD.FLT with newer and better drivers by Daniella Egbert.

Will the machine boot with no CD drive?

Reply 15 of 15, by MasterM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
MasterM wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

I remeber having trouble with Warp 3 refusing to boot due to a newer CD-drive. Had to install it using an older ASUS CD-ROM from 1999 and replace the IBMIDECD.FLT with newer and better drivers by Daniella Egbert.

Will the machine boot with no CD drive?

It did not help either.

At this point I'm sadly giving up. I tried everything, changed IDE channels, tinkered with master/slave settings, plugged/unplugged drives in various configurations, disabled DMA etc... nothing works. There must be something inherently incompatible with OS/2 in my setup. I'll try it if I ever assemble a low-end 386/486 box. 😀