VOGONS

First post, by Florio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.
This is my first post, as I installed and started using DOSBox just a couple of hours ago.
I basically installed it so that I could play one of my old games, Versailles 1885 (Cryo) on my PC.
I saved the game onto my my computer and got it playing okay, but I would like to have a desktop shortcut so I can open it easily without having to mount drives each time I want to play.
I DID manage to create the shortcut, but the problem is that when I click on the shortcut, I am told to insert the second CD (the game is on 2 CD Roms, but I think the second is just for the saving of data). The only .exe file on the second CD is AUTORUN.
Is there a way of getting the shortcut to work by altering the paths or something?
Thanks to whoever can take the time to reply. 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you mount your CD in the [autoexec] section of the dosbox.conf you are using? http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#InternalPrograms

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 3, by Florio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello collector, and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
So far I've just been following very basic instructions found on the internet (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts), so am still trying to get my head around everything. What should I have done (or be doing)? The manual page you sent the link for seems a little complicated at this stage!

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I look at the Wiki entry and it is a bit... wanting. Creating a shortcut that way shown in the images does not allow you to set any options. All it is doing is mounting the folder containing the specified EXE as C: and starting that EXE. A better way is to specify a given conf file that has any extra mountings, etc. in the [autoexec] section at the end of that conf. Your target in the shortcut should be something like this. Just adjust for your actual paths.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Games\Settlers 2\dosbox.conf"

Then open Notepad and enter the following, using the actual drive letter for your CD if it is not 'D:\'. Change the S2.exe to the EXE for Versailles 1685.

[autoexec]
cls
@ECHO OFF
mount c .
mount d D:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
c:
cd \
S2.exe
exit

Save it as 'dosbox.conf' in your game's folder. It will now mount your CD drive when you start it from that shortcut. Note that it may complain if you start it without a disc in the drive. For multi disc games when you have to change discs be sure to press CTRL+F4 to have DOSBox refresh the drive cache to see the changed disc.

If you need to make any other adjustments, like changing cycles, etc. you can add those to the conf you created.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers