VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

I stated in the OP that I was going to use a vp6 and even posted a pic of it aways back...

Yes, I read-back but missed it.

saturn wrote:

I know that they are not the best heatsinks, but for 12$ for the pair witch included shipping, I can't complain. With some mx4 they will do fine, even with overclocking.

The CPU's are under 30 watts TDP so those coolers should be fine in a normal case.
In fact - where did you get them?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 21 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get them on eBay. I know that they will be fine, but once I start overclocking they might not. That's why I used mx4

As for the OP, it's a wall of text. I can see how one could miss something or a lot.

Reply 22 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, some changes.
I be using a a fx 5200 ultra along whit a voodoo1 or 2 in place of the 4500.
I don't think my voodoo1 works if I recall, it looks like someone glued a heatsink on it and pulled it off. maybe it was damaged then?
I have both a 8mb 100mhz 3dbalster voodoo2 and a 10mb quantum 3d voodoo 2. Too bad it lacks a pass though.

Reply 24 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

AFAIK Voodoo and Voodoo2 use the same passthrough cable... Unless you mean the connector itself has been ripped off.

it's not for a pc or even a mac. it came out of a arcade machine.

145252.jpg

looks a lot like this.
It has 8MB texture memory and 2MB frame buffer along with a max res of 640x480

Reply 25 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not go over kill on the cable management... I got the fx5200 today, but it was a dud. The seller gave me a full refund tho 😀 I bought an fx5600 ultra to use in its palace. I know it's over kill, but I'll do fine.

Reply 26 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not to post 3 times in a row. but I replaced all the caps and will be finishing setting it up soon.
I replaced the 5 1/4 inch drive with a seconed 3 1/2. I also installed 2 60mm fans in the case along with a fx5600 ultra.

After removing some of the caps I found that many were bad. A good bit of caps are bulging from the bottom and one had busted.

Reply 27 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering when you'd update us.
See what I mean about Teapo on mobos.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 28 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

I was wondering when you'd update us.
See what I mean about Teapo on mobos.

It was not too bad, nothing like a gx270 🤣 But I feel a lot better now that it's done. The fx5600 need recaped to. I might do it too, I don't know yet.

Reply 29 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Video cards are usually not difficult to recap. Lately I've been upgrading them to solid polymer caps.
If the video card needs recapped I'd do it so the bad caps don't fry something else on the card.

Reply 30 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:
Video cards are usually not difficult to recap. Lately I've been upgrading them to solid polymer caps. . If the video card needs […]
Show full quote

Video cards are usually not difficult to recap. Lately I've been upgrading them to solid polymer caps.
If the video card needs recapped I'd do it so the bad caps don't fry something else on the card.

Well the caps that are bad have to do with the power that comes in from the molex power conetor. Witch is not needed and with it being a fx5600 I could live with it being down clocked. The caps are the kind that sit on top of the pcb and not the kind that go thought it, if that makes any since. Also the caps are labeled funny, no units are used 🤣 I should just replace them, but I don't want too 😒

Reply 31 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Video cards are usually not difficult to recap. Lately I've been upgrading them to solid polymer caps. . If the video card needs […]
Show full quote

Well the caps that are bad have to do with the power that comes in from the molex power conetor. Witch is not needed and with it being a fx5600 I could live with it being down clocked. The caps are the kind that sit on top of the pcb and not the kind that go thought it, if that makes any since. Also the caps are labeled funny, no units are used 🤣 I should just replace them, but I don't want too 😒

If you trace out the power distribution on the card you will --probably-- find those caps are also connected to power coming from the slot.

Reply 32 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
I've liked dual CPU boards since the BX chipset was a new thing. My first was an Intel N440BX. I still have a couple of those bo […]
Show full quote

I've liked dual CPU boards since the BX chipset was a new thing.
My first was an Intel N440BX. I still have a couple of those boards collecting dust.
My favorite nostalgia dual CPU setup is dual Tualatin, 1.4GHZ P-III-S.
I have a dual AMD setup that I never actually used (and at the moment all I remember is it's a Tyan board).
My 'every day' PC sports a Supermicro X7DAL-E with dual-quad L5420 Xeons.

A dual PIII-S Tualatin is still my everyday PC. MS-9105 based on VIA Apollo Pro266T chipset, which I found to be a lot more reliable than the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset. I'm running the board at 1.5 GHz and stock voltage. 3 GB DDR RAM. 4 SATA drives at 6 TB total. I cannot seem to bring myself to retire it as my everyday go-to everything machine. It can address up to 3.5 GB RAM, but then it requires the CPU clock being brought back down to 1.4 GHz. Before going with a dual Tualatin, my everyday machine was a dual slot1 PIII-850 w/440BX, which was a CPU upgrade from my dual PII-400, bought as a Dell Precision Workstation 410 in 1998.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

A dual PIII-S Tualatin is still my everyday PC. MS-9105 based on VIA Apollo Pro266T chipset, which I found to be a lot more reliable than the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset. I'm running the board at 1.5 GHz and stock voltage. 3 GB DDR RAM. 4 SATA drives at 6 TB total. I cannot seem to bring myself to retire it as my everyday go-to everything machine. It can address up to 3.5 GB RAM, but then it requires the CPU clock being brought back down to 1.4 GHz. Before going with a dual Tualatin, my everyday machine was a dual slot1 PIII-850 w/440BX, which was a CPU upgrade from my dual PII-400, bought as a Dell Precision Workstation 410 in 1998.

I'm working on getting a pair of Tualatins for the system. But ABit has a funny setup the prevents the SMP pin mod was being stable and the normal pin mod from working in smp and I gave up my self. After talking to the guy in korea the sells pre modded Tualatins He was able to make 2 for my board. It was kind of annoying to get everything worked out, with language barriers and having to send Hi Res photos of various parts of the board and all. ABit did a good job of making changes to the vp6 without changing the Rev# 😒

Reply 34 of 46, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Incoming bubble post.
I have all the drivers install. Yay! I now need to tweak the system And start benchmarking it. I will use speedsys, 3D mark and quake3 among others.

Also the system is so much more stable and far more responsive with the new caps.

Reply 38 of 46, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If those with the X vents say Rubycon then they are counterfeit.