VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick question for owners of said board, does revision version play a role in CPU support? For example, for the first revision there doesn't seem to be any support for Core 2 Duo or even Wolfdale Pentiums. Later revisions seem to play ball just fine. I'm thinking of grabbing one of these boards and using it along with a Pentium, should I pay attention to which revision I'm getting?
Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In most cases it is BIOS version dependent, not PCB version dependent.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/?cat=CPU

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 12, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not actually an owner but I would pay the extra money for an 775i65G R3.0. If you study the boards carefully quite lot of parts changed between the revisions. Asrock provide totally different bios downloads for the R3.0 compared to the original and R2.0 which seem to share a bios.

Reply 3 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the R1.0 doesn't support anything Core 2, the R2.0 does support (and has some fan-made bioses that make the support better), and the R3.0 (dark brown PCB) officially supports almost everything it can.

Owner here! It's a unique motherboard, as the newest one that officially supports Windows 98 AND Core 2 Duo.
You may be interested in my thread there: Win 98, XP & 8.1 fully supported on one dual core PC? Here is my retro approach!

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I had one of these boards, it would take like 15 seconds before it would display anything on the screen when it had a Core 2 installed. I think I had a R2.0. I tried 3-4 different Core 2 CPUs in it and behavior was always the same. It seemed to be doing some kind of configuration + self-reset before starting up.

Do other people see this?

Reply 7 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

When I had one of these boards, it would take like 15 seconds before it would display anything on the screen when it had a Core 2 installed. I think I had a R2.0. I tried 3-4 different Core 2 CPUs in it and behavior was always the same. It seemed to be doing some kind of configuration + self-reset before starting up.

I have seen something similar on Abit IP-35 series boards.
On cold boot they will appear to be starting up then reset and start up a second time. (Double boot.)
- Case lights and CPU fan come on. Then all goes dead for a second or two. Then it all comes on again and it boots into the OS.
- Really freaky until you get used to it.
I read somewhere that it has something to do with BIOS timing conflicting with the chipset timing.
My take was that they miss their "hand-shake" the first time around so one or the other has to be reset.
- That will obviously slow down boot times.
I've since heard that other brands of boards with other socket 775 Intel chipsets can have similar issues.
Perhaps ASRock's attempt at working around the problem is a bunch quieter than Abit's solution.
About 1/2 that is speculation. Never seen a really really good explanation for it.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
I have seen something similar on Abit IP-35 series boards. On cold boot they will appear to be starting up then reset and start […]
Show full quote

On cold boot they will appear to be starting up then reset and start up a second time. (Double boot.)
- Case lights and CPU fan come on. Then all goes dead for a second or two. Then it all comes on again and it boots into the OS.
I read somewhere that it has something to do with BIOS timing conflicting with the chipset timing.
My take was that they miss their "hand-shake" the first time around so one or the other has to be reset.
I've since heard that other brands of boards with other socket 775 Intel chipsets can have similar issues.
Perhaps ASRock's attempt at working around the problem is a bunch quieter than Abit's solution.
About 1/2 that is speculation. Never seen a really really good explanation for it.

This is the case with the Asus P5B as well. I read that the reason it behaves that way was because of an errata in the early revision 965/ICH8 chipset, so that might be the case with the P35 as well.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
I have seen something similar on Abit IP-35 series boards. On cold boot they will appear to be starting up then reset and start […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

That was a P35 issue. My IP35-Pro and my MSI P35 Platinum had it, also a friend's MSI P35 Neo-2 FIR and a gigabyte P35- DS4 (or DS3R). I have no experience on 965, it is possible that this problem existed there too.
If you overclocked, most of them did it a bunch of times. I mean, start, lights on, system off, lights on, system off, lights on, system off, lights on, BOOT!

This is totally different with the 775i65G, but I can confirm that the POST screen is displayed with delay.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 10 of 12, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:

the R2.0 does support (and has some fan-made bioses that make the support better),

Do u have a link to some of this bioses?i have and r 2.0 and wouldn't mind increasing the cpu support.

Reply 11 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

the R2.0 does support (and has some fan-made bioses that make the support better),

Do u have a link to some of this bioses?i have and r 2.0 and wouldn't mind increasing the cpu support.

The best place to ask that is here. https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

Reply 12 of 12, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... I unwittingly donated this to my daughter's best friend when I built her a machine to replace the unstable and slow P4 system she was using (also ASRock). Regretting it somewhat now! I will get it back at some point but for now I can't check it out so I do not know what revision it is. I installed a Core2Duo E4600 in it I think and it ran fine though.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.