VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It all started 2 days ago,when I got a full PC after I gave to one of my friends a ultra-basic configuration enough to do his stuff. (FSP 300W PSU,Pentium 4 HT 3GHz LGA775,512MB DDR2,ASRock Conroe1333-D667,40GB PATA HDD and a DVD-ROM I had around,all in a Deer case).

Well,in all its little glory,here it is!

Specs:

PSU - Delux ATX-450W P4
MB - Biostar K8VGA-M (Socket 754)
GPU - ATI Radeon HD3450 512MB (former GPU that it came with - Powercolor Radeon 9250 128MB - had to discard it in favor of Aero)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (had a Sempron 2500+ before. I tried to use a Athlon 64 3000+ but it wouldn't POST. Maybe older rev
RAM - 1GB DDR 400 (2x512MB sticks. It came with a 1GB Kingston KVR stick but sadly that stick was very buggy. Would give lots of problems,like BSOD and freezes. It wasn't the PSU as it was brand new,save for the lots of dust it had inside)
HDD - Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB PATA - came with a Windows 7 Professional install on it. No jokes,it actually had it installed on the harddrive when I first booted the PC. Cleaned any personal files he had so I don't have problems later.
ODD - 1x CD/DVD-RW and 2x CD-RW/DVD-ROMs
Case - some unknown beige case I had around. Made of thick steel. It's the one that some of you thought it was "ugly". I had to rework the front panel wiring a bit since it had reset button missing and added a speaker while at it.
Addon card - ASUS USB/MIR card. It's the one without the PS/2 ports - there apparently is a version that has the KB ports as well. 😀

And that's about it. It's based on the VIA K8M800 chipset.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Sounds like a very cool rig, upload some pictures?

Will do tomorrow when I can.

I also have an A7V8X-X system in the works,currently needing a new PSU for that one.

Reply 3 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. As I said,I'll come with some pics.

I upgraded it a bit since last time. More exactly I've replaced the motherboard with an Epox EP-8KDA7I (nF3 250 chipset) and installed some new RAM (2x 512MB - Elixir and Kingmax)

Now,here are some pics. I should mention I actually found and fixed a PSU for the A7V8X-X system. It's a JNC LC-B300ATX PSU I had in storage. I hooked the fan to the 12V rail (it was hooked to 5v,as stupid as that sounds,as the fan was a usual 80mm 12V fan),added a lot of caps (three G-Luxons,two Jun Fu's,a lone Chemicon I had around and a Nichicon HM) and the usual PI coil filtering. Just FYI,those JNC/Premier/L&C/ANS PSUs came with the cases. This case is one of them - but the PSU isn't. The original PSU it had exploded (and strangely didn't take the nF2 system it was powering at that moment) and it was first replaced with a skimpy Intex 430W PSU. The only PSUs it ever had after were a 350W ANS (that I also modded - literally was a leafblower thanks to the Delta fan I screwed in there) and a 350W Sumvision PSU (that I scrapped - it was already starting to fail. Sun Pro built.)This is the newest it has - a 450W Delux I got with a PC I was given free. Cracked it open to replace the fan,and it's pretty good. I guess it's up to the job - heatsinks look quite good. Needs some filtering coils on the DC side but at least all the caps needed are there.

Enough with the talk. I may have bored you to death with that,but now here are the pics. I added them as simple attachments rather than adding the img tags,because that would result in a huge 4K 16:9 image.

Attachments

• 20151018_183343.jpg
    Filename
    20151018_183343.jpg
    File size
    2.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20151018_183336.jpg
    Filename
    20151018_183336.jpg
    File size
    3.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20151018_183319.jpg
    Filename
    20151018_183319.jpg
    File size
    3.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20151018_183313.jpg
    Filename
    20151018_183313.jpg
    File size
    2.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Epox EP-8KDA7I.jpg
    Filename
    Epox EP-8KDA7I.jpg
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems someone has invested in a better camera/phone/device/thingy 😀

Nice system!

I have had better experiences with VIAs early K8 chipsets than with nForce-3. I got a Fujitsu Siemens Socket-754 system through work shortly after the Socket-754 platform was released. That system was very solid and I used the motherboard and CPU to upgrade my parents Fujitsu Siemens Pentium 3 system when I upgraded my system to Socket-939. The motherboard has been running daily in that horrid non ventilated case as my parents Internet computer until this summer when I gave them a new system. I inspected the motherboard and it still looks like new so I will likely use it for a Socket 754 build this winter.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

It seems someone has invested in a better camera/phone/device/thingy 😀

Yeah,it's actually a phone - a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini.

Skyscraper wrote:

Nice system!

I have had better experiences with VIAs early K8 chipsets than with nForce-3. I got a Fujitsu Siemens Socket-754 system through work shortly after the Socket-754 platform was released. That system was very solid and I used the motherboard and CPU to upgrade my parents Fujitsu Siemens Pentium 3 system when I upgraded my system to socket 939. The motherboard has been running daily in that horrid non ventilated case as my parents Internet computer until this summer when I gave them a new system. I inspected the motherboard and it still looks like new so I will likely use it for a Socket 754 build this winter.

Thanks!

Well,I thought of trying nF3 not only because I haven't worked with it before but also because of better luck with nVidia chipsets.

Reply 6 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All that dust :s

Push it all into one spot and maybe something will grow 🤣, had to joke but seen much worse. When they come in with enough dust that it comes off in clumps and sheets with bits of critters its baaad.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

All that dust :s

Push it all into one spot and maybe something will grow 🤣, had to joke but seen much worse. When they come in with enough dust that it comes off in clumps and sheets with bits of critters its baaad.

That dust in the PC is tame compared to what the Biostar in the OP looked like before I disassembled the entire system it came in

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

FSP 300W PSU

Are you sure you prefer the Delux PSU over the FSP one?
Though if the FSP was in heavy use for a long time, it might not work too well anymore.
My experience with FSP's is that they were quite solid, but I did find several which had leaking caps (especially the 250W ones. 235W and 300W more often had no leaking caps).

PcBytes wrote:

And that's about it. It's based on the VIA K8M800 chipset.

Nice chipset indeed 😀

Only gripe is if VIA's SATA ports don't work with SATA-II drives (this was fixed with the southbridge which had a "Plus" in the name of the chip).

And I've had dust come off in large plaques (especially from HSF's), which was actually beneficial as this way it wouldn't all end up airborne when I was busy removing it 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

FSP 300W PSU

My thoughts...
Most FSP's are far better designs than those generic Ch/Tw ones like that Delux.
FSP's absolutely do frequently have caps problems due to cheap caps but that Delux probably will too.
To me an FSP is usually worth recapping but those generic units like that Delux aren't. In fact i won't even try them anymore.
FSP made a lot of undocumented OEM models and you can tell by the "FSP" in the part number.
Some years ago FSP merged with Sparkle so a lot of Sparkles bear FSP part numbers.
(Recollecting - IIRC)
In the 90's Sparkles were on the high-end side of OEM and found in a lot of servers. Not too often seen as retail back then.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
My thoughts... Most FSP's are far better designs than those generic Ch/Tw ones like that Delux. FSP's absolutely do frequently h […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

FSP 300W PSU

My thoughts...
Most FSP's are far better designs than those generic Ch/Tw ones like that Delux.
FSP's absolutely do frequently have caps problems due to cheap caps but that Delux probably will too.
To me an FSP is usually worth recapping but those generic units like that Delux aren't. In fact i won't even try them anymore.
FSP made a lot of undocumented OEM models and you can tell by the "FSP" in the part number.
Some years ago FSP merged with Sparkle so a lot of Sparkles bear FSP part numbers.
(Recollecting - IIRC)
In the 90's Sparkles were on the high-end side of OEM and found in a lot of servers. Not too often seen as retail back then.

I think you recollected correctly on all counts 😀
FSP did make a lot of OEM PSU's as FSP was the most found PSU when scavenging sidewalk-computers for parts.
I've seen a LOT of them from the inside (to clean them and check the internals for damage and leaking caps and maybe do a fan replace) and the Sparkles I found looked very very similar to the FSP's from the same timeframe.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!