VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

w8b4ar.jpg

I got a old computer case which has this kind of motherboard standoffs. They are attached to rectangular holes in the case and the size of the holes are about 8.3 x 6.3 millimeters.

Is there any place where these can be bought?

Reply 2 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember once having found a tower case which used very similar standoffs and because I only ever seen them in one single case, because I found it to be inferior to the hexagon-shaped standoffs commonly used in most other cases (it seemed very flimsy and even cheap) and because a couple were missing, I decided to toss the case so I don't even have it anymore.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 12, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually had another case (Nexus) this year with similar standoffs, but I disposed the case when I thought I would have no use for it. But then I got another case with missing standoffs that would otherwise be good for a retro computer. So I am now trying a place to buy new ones.

Reply 4 of 12, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this is a propertiary standoff model it could be hard to buy. You can try designing and 3D printing similar part (with a hole in which you could place a metal nut), it shouldn't be expensive nowadays (I don't know how much commercial 3d printing services costs, but I managed to build a 3D printer myself for equivalent of 150 eur and the plastic filament for that single part would cost only something like 0.2 eur.).

But i think that you could try a cheap DIY-solution with bunch of M3 bolts, nuts and washers. You could use wide washers and nuts to mount a M3 bolt in the place of that rectangular hole, then just install the mainboard and put a nut on the standing out screw. I just grabbed some things I had lying near the desk and made photos of this solution. Imagine that this metal piece with holes i'm holding in hand is your case 😜 you could add or remove some washers to adjust the height.

parts1.jpg
Filename
parts1.jpg
File size
263.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
parts2.jpg
Filename
parts2.jpg
File size
234.41 KiB
Views
File license
parts3.jpg
Filename
parts3.jpg
File size
382.63 KiB
Views
File license

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that sometimes even the standard standoffs were different lengths between cases (it has to do with the distance the bracket openings are from the side of the case. Some cases need the motherboard to be more elevated or the ATX backplate (the one with all the USB and PS/2 ports etc) and expansion cards won't fit correctly), though often they are. But after I noticed these was actually difference, I started paying extra attention to make absolutely sure they are the exact same height when mounted in the case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar situation where I had two identical cases I like but only enough of the square stand-offs to outfit one of them.
I looked for the correct stand-offs for YEARS and never found any.
In the end I used these things called nut-rivets. They are a type of threaded insert.
They are basically pop-rivets that leave a threaded hole. (A special rivet gun is needed but it's not expensive if you shop. The rivets might even cost you more.)
[case]
I found some that fit the square holes nice and tight and that left 6-32 threads so I can now use standard stand-offs.
I went out of my way to find steel nut-rivets (most are aluminum) in case I had back-up by also soldering them into place. Didn't need to.
For some cases you may need to shorten the brass stand-offs to compensate for the thickness of the rivet head.
The rivet gun has a threaded shaft that you thread the rivet onto. It then pulls by the threads to 'squish' the rivet into place.
The guns usually come equipped for several thread sizes.
You can actually get by without the rivet gun by using a long enough bolt and some stacked washers but it's kind of a PITA.
These can be very handy for other projects too. I discovered them when I was restoring cars.

nut-rivets.jpg
Filename
nut-rivets.jpg
File size
12.35 KiB
Views
File license

nut-rivet-gun.jpg
Filename
nut-rivet-gun.jpg
File size
18.06 KiB
Views
File license

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 12, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
adalbert wrote:

If this is a propertiary standoff model it could be hard to buy. You can try designing and 3D printing similar part (with a hole in which you could place a metal nut), it shouldn't be expensive nowadays (I don't know how much commercial 3d printing services costs, but I managed to build a 3D printer myself for equivalent of 150 eur and the plastic filament for that single part would cost only something like 0.2 eur.).

But i think that you could try a cheap DIY-solution with bunch of M3 bolts, nuts and washers. You could use wide washers and nuts to mount a M3 bolt in the place of that rectangular hole, then just install the mainboard and put a nut on the standing out screw. I just grabbed some things I had lying near the desk and made photos of this solution. Imagine that this metal piece with holes i'm holding in hand is your case 😜 you could add or remove some washers to adjust the height.

Thanks for the advices. I will have to think about something if I don't suitable motherboards standoffs otherwise.

PCBONEZ wrote:
I had a similar situation where I had two identical cases I like but only enough of the square stand-offs to outfit one of them. […]
Show full quote

I had a similar situation where I had two identical cases I like but only enough of the square stand-offs to outfit one of them.
I looked for the correct stand-offs for YEARS and never found any.
In the end I used these things called nut-rivets. They are a type of threaded insert.
They are basically pop-rivets that leave a threaded hole. (A special rivet gun is needed but it's not expensive if you shop. The rivets might even cost you more.)
[case]
I found some that fit the square holes nice and tight and that left 6-32 threads so I can now use standard stand-offs.
I went out of my way to find steel nut-rivets (most are aluminum) in case I had back-up by also soldering them into place. Didn't need to.
For some cases you may need to shorten the brass stand-offs to compensate for the thickness of the rivet head.
The rivet gun has a threaded shaft that you thread the rivet onto. It then pulls by the threads to 'squish' the rivet into place.
The guns usually come equipped for several thread sizes.
You can actually get by without the rivet gun by using a long enough bolt and some stacked washers but it's kind of a PITA.
These can be very handy for other projects too. I discovered them when I was restoring cars.

You live in Unites States according to your profile. I have understood that there would be many shops dedicated for selling old computer hardware (e.g. http://abcresellers.com/) but I may be wrong. But this nut-rivet you suggested is also a good thing.

I just don't know what is the point with the computer case I have. There are three standard brass hexagon standoffs mounted and the other standoff mounting holes are rectangular.

Reply 8 of 12, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I found a place that is probably selling this kind of standoffs:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3508/scr-67 … =NbzswVVs#blank

They seem to be called "clip style standoffs".

Reply 10 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
markot wrote:

You live in Unites States according to your profile. I have understood that there would be many shops dedicated for selling old computer hardware (e.g. http://abcresellers.com/) but I may be wrong. But this nut-rivet you suggested is also a good thing.

The US is a really big place and things vary a great deal from one locality to another.
Though I live in the 5th or 6th largest city, brick and mortar computer shops are quite rare around here.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 11 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
markot wrote:

Now I found a place that is probably selling this kind of standoffs:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3508/scr-67 … =NbzswVVs#blank

They seem to be called "clip style standoffs".

Those won't work on my particular case but they might work on yours.
I think probably work on yours.
My square stand-offs are not the same as yours.
I would ask them for dimensions before I ordered to be sure.
Or you could take blackjudas up on his/her kind offer.

Reply 12 of 12, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

came here trying to find those damn lian li motherboard clips

well either way if i dont find them we can make something very easy if you have a 3d printer

something like this

the green is the screw and the nut, nut you can even glue to the pastic.
you print the left red side and the right red side
blue is the computer case aluminum.

it can be done easly with tinkercard, and if you have a printer its pretty cheap.
plus its very easy to change and test, if you fuck up the height you cut it with 2 clicks and print another one.

a 3d design of the the original clips i don´t think its possible with a 3d printer , its too small for it to have the inner circle where the crew goes tight

design2.jpg