VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1283 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Daniel, thanks for that very expensive report! 😀
Unfortunately I can only fix problems that are related to the current MS DX implementation.
Fixing game-related problems like heat-haze are out of scope of dgVoodoo development. 😐
It would require modifying game code.
Anyway I'll try to walk the scenes you posted to see what's there through the wrapper.

One question: do shadows appear in SC1 with ForcedShadowMode=1 (shadowbuffer) and EmulateGF2= 0 using your old hardware?
I've struggled with it all day but it's very obscure for me what the game does. It seems to render shadow maps properly
but it more or less 'forgets' to utilize them later in the rendering flow. At the moment I can't imagine this ever worked on
any hardware.

Anyway, I've fixed a lot of bugs (actually, only a few one that affected a lot of things) so Republic Commando, Bloodrayne 1/2, UT2004 demo,
Thief Deadly Shadow, Unreal2 and Postal2 seem to be OK.

However still there is a problem with water in Morrowind with pixel shading on (arghs..., those waters.. 😀 ), +z fighting.
Deus Ex is OK, as for the rendering, but when starting/loading a game from the main menu the IonLauncher gets stuck for a minute or so, and the game itself starts only after that.

If I can't find the bug in a short period then I'll release the next WIP in the current state, I think.
(I spent 3 days just to find a small copy-paste bug deep in the code that caused wrong shadowing/lighting, even in DeusEx main menu. 😵 😀 )

Reply 1284 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Little problem in Splinter Cell (lightmaps related?) […]
Show full quote

Little problem in Splinter Cell (lightmaps related?)

Nightvision ON:
splintercell_2015_12_09_14_57_28_100.png

Nightvision OFF and ON again (now the rendering is correct):
splintercell_2015_12_09_14_57_33_367.png

But the problem is not strictly related to nightvision.

It seems to be a cubemap-like lighting problem I already fixed. I hope the next version will fix it.

Reply 1285 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Deus Ex is OK, as for the rendering, but when starting/loading a game from the main menu the IonLauncher gets stuck for a minute or so, and the game itself starts only after that.

DEIW and TDS have the map loading in sync with the framerate: Sneaky Upgrade fixed this problem in TDS.

Reply 1286 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
One question: do shadows appear in SC1 with ForcedShadowMode=1 (shadowbuffer) and EmulateGF2= 0 using your old hardware? I've st […]
Show full quote

One question: do shadows appear in SC1 with ForcedShadowMode=1 (shadowbuffer) and EmulateGF2= 0 using your old hardware?
I've struggled with it all day but it's very obscure for me what the game does. It seems to render shadow maps properly
but it more or less 'forgets' to utilize them later in the rendering flow. At the moment I can't imagine this ever worked on
any hardware.

Yes and No.
GF4 is the single card that has 0 problems.
GF 5 has some reflection problems. Almost every shadow is present. Some are missing. GF FX 5500 displays fine from what i've read here on the firums.
GF6 is broken.
GF7 partially. Some shadow render other do not.

Except GF5, i pesonally tested all myself. I can run some test if you require some api logging. Except GF4 which has stop working a few days ago. 🙁 Real loss, i tell you. 😀

Last edited by daniel_u on 2015-12-10, 18:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1287 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Daniel, thanks for that very expensive report! :happy: Unfortunately I can only fix problems that are related to the current M […]
Show full quote

Daniel, thanks for that very expensive report! 😀
Unfortunately I can only fix problems that are related to the current MS DX implementation.
Fixing game-related problems like heat-haze are out of scope of dgVoodoo development. 😐
It would require modifying game code.
Anyway I'll try to walk the scenes you posted to see what's there through the wrapper.

I understand. This is real sad because, well, i really had my hopes up.😀 There are not many people out there that are doing this kind of work and listen to you. 🙁
But is it possible to fix these kind of issues through a wrapper without the game code?

I have 2 more levels tested but i will wait dor the WIP release. There the same issues anyway,except this one problem. See below. Color problem also Komat's wrrapper has.
fGChmPP.png
The level is 4th one, Jerusalem.

This will also appear in other levels also.(and not 100% sure but also in SC1 in some specific areas with old cards.)

Also there is no need to go through the level just use some gamesaves from the net and load as required.

Reply 1289 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, but I encountered some problems meanwhile.
I decided to do the additional development I mentioned earlier because the performance is not too good, not just in Pandora Tomorrow but in other games too. It has proved to be a 'must'.
It will take some more time.

Reply 1291 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI F1 2000 and F1 Championship Season 2000, both by EA, work fine with latest 2.45 plus WIP build above (didn't try plain 2.45 though!).

Dege I have a request/idea, unless it's in the DX wrapper somewhere: can games have black pillarboxes on the side when run fullscreen, if they're at a 4:3 resolution? As games at 640x480 (etc) look really wide and fat on 16:9 screens with the wrapper.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1292 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

FYI F1 2000 and F1 Championship Season 2000, both by EA, work fine with latest 2.45 plus WIP build above (didn't try plain 2.45 though!).

Dege I have a request/idea, unless it's in the DX wrapper somewhere: can games have black pillarboxes on the side when run fullscreen, if they're at a 4:3 resolution? As games at 640x480 (etc) look really wide and fat on 16:9 screens with the wrapper.

You need to scaling mode to aspect ratio in Nvidia settings, perform scaling on GPU and override scaling mode set by games and programs enabled. Also you have to be on the latest drivers.

Reply 1293 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahhh yes, that setting, every time I clean install new drivers I forget about it! It worked.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1294 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The new build is available:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP12.zip

The bugfixings only affects D3D8 and the setup program but I had to recompile the whole pack so I included every components.
I added predefined VRAM values up to 1024 MB to the Virtual 3D card and 256MB to GeForce4 and ATI Radeon 8500.
I don't really understand why some d3d8 games don't run with 128MB as those 2 cards were available with 64/128MB onboard memory AFAIK.

Bloodrayne 1/2 should be launched in forced windowed mode, because there are some problems with their video playback
- BR1 fails with 'cannot reset device' if launched in full screen
- BR2 videos seem to be GDI rendered so it ends up in black screen in fullscreen

Shadow buffer in SC1 is not supported for now so it should be played with projected textures.
Morrowind water is still not fixed.

Last edited by Dege on 2015-12-15, 15:06. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1296 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Splinter Cell.....http://www.moddb.com/mods/splinter-cell-source-code (it's the full multiplayer SC2+SC3 and it's D3D8 based)

Torchlight is RED with dgvoodoo (wrong color 😁)
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_21_59_693.png

Wrong skinning shader with dgvoodoo:
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_30_40_085.png

Right skinning shader:
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_29_05_848.png

You can have the correct rendering using the good old 3DAnalyze

Reply 1299 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
About Splinter Cell.....http://www.moddb.com/mods/splinter-cell-source-code (it's the full multiplayer SC2+SC3 and it's D3D8 bas […]
Show full quote

About Splinter Cell.....http://www.moddb.com/mods/splinter-cell-source-code (it's the full multiplayer SC2+SC3 and it's D3D8 based)

Torchlight is RED with dgvoodoo (wrong color 😁)
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_21_59_693.png

Wrong skinning shader with dgvoodoo:
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_30_40_085.png

Right skinning shader:
SCCT_Versus_2015_12_15_15_29_05_848.png

You can have the correct rendering using the good old 3DAnalyze

Fount the culprit!

It's the phong shading! It must be disabled to achieve the correct rendering!