Let the air flow!

Reply 21 of 53, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

I know lots of mobos that can attest to the contrary, but to each his own. 😀

I've never meet a mobo that could write or speak.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

Personally I'm opposed to supporting companies that lie to their customers.
After learning the truth about AS5 I won't be supporting Arctic Silver by buying any of their products.

That analysis you posted of AS5 is interesting. The stuff tends to perform quite well in all testing I've seen elsewhere. It actually outperforms the Shin Etsu X23 (here) after curing! Maybe there is more to it. I can't tell if the study took the curing time into consideration. They also tested with a gap of at least 25 microns.

Regardless, you are right that it is overpriced. Lots of better values out there.

Reply 23 of 53, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
saturn wrote:
matze79 wrote:

Isnt Arctic Silver 5 pretty outdated ?

it sure is. NT-H1, mx-4 and coollaboratory liquid are the only tim worth buying if you ask me. other then that, just use what comes with you heatsink.

I had some "Cooler Master" branded paste that came with a heatsink. After using it a few times, even on some short lived builds, I kept finding it to later have the qualities of chalk dust. It's so worthless that I don't think I'll be using it anymore for anything, so I should probably just throw it away.

Unless you go crazy, typical thermal paste of some decent brand is cheap. There's an up front cost of a few bucks and then the tube lasts most normal people for years or a lifetime. For people around here maybe not quite as long, but still, the cost per build is totally negligible.

I've gotten used to using AS Ceramique because it just works fine and it's widely available and cheap. I'm sure there's many other decent brand pastes that are just as good. I'm skeptical of what value the expensive pastes really offer, I just don't want something that turns into chalk.
I don't know who makes/made Radio Shack paste, but I was happy with that too, I had a tube of it for years that I paid 99 cents for.

Reply 24 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

That analysis you posted of AS5 is interesting. The stuff tends to perform quite well in all testing I've seen elsewhere. It actually outperforms the Shin Etsu X23 (here) after curing! Maybe there is more to it. I can't tell if the study took the curing time into consideration. They also tested with a gap of at least 25 microns.

There is definitely more to it, but among all the A / A+ / A- TIMs in that table, there is no statistically significant difference. So while it is probably fair to determine a list of good solutions, you cannot really say any one of them outperforms any other.

There may be differences between them in non-perfect conditions, or in terms of longevity (Does it dry out and performs worse? Does it need to be replaced every once in a while?) These are not reflected in that study.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 27 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
swaaye wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

There is definitely more to it, but among all the A / A+ / A- TIMs in that table, there is no statistically significant difference. So while it is probably fair to determine a list of good solutions, you cannot really say any one of them outperforms any other.

There may be differences between them in non-perfect conditions, or in terms of longevity (Does it dry out and performs worse? Does it need to be replaced every once in a while?) These are not reflected in that study.

Well, since many of these tests are done when the TIM has been applied very recently, perhaps theres a difference in how long a TIM stays effective?

If this is the case, I'd very much prefer a TIM that may be slightly less effective at first, but has more of a tendency to stay that way for a longer time. With some coolers I really dislike having to reapply the TIM because I have to dismantle half the rig just for that 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

This reminds me of one hilarious TIM review.
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

The moral of this story is (as you say) plain zinc oxide or silicon grease will work just fine. As for longevity, I'm not convinced of the utility. Conventional grease is proven to work for many years of service in all manner of high heat, hard duty electronics systems. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised the audiophile crowd has not latched on to exotic thermal compounds for improving system performance as they're normally drawn to dubious claims like flies to bullshit.

If you want to get exotic, try something from the condiments aisle.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 53, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

This reminds me of one hilarious TIM review.
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Thats nothing. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/1644 … u-in-my-peanut/\
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/1644 … anut/?p=1680970

Reply 30 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
swaaye wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Yeah you are right. I like that roundup because it shows how minimal the differences really are among most of the TIM options available. I also liked their testing methodology. They took curing time, surface aspects and application techniques into consideration.

gdjacobs wrote:

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised the audiophile crowd has not latched on to exotic thermal compounds for improving system performance as they're normally drawn to dubious claims like flies to bullshit.

A mystery indeed. I see opportunity. 🤣

Reply 31 of 53, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised the audiophile crowd has not latched on to exotic thermal compounds for improving system performance as they're normally drawn to dubious claims like flies to bullshit.

A mystery indeed. I see opportunity. 🤣

🤣 wow! But there is a problem; anyone can see how good the tim is by looking at the temps of the cpu. Unlike the fancy cables which gives a placebo affect. One would have to come up with some fancy wording to trick them into thinking that the cpu is cooler then what the sensors say. Or play on their foolishness.

Reply 32 of 53, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually the study swaaye linked to contradicts is self as to if they followed curing time instructions.
In one place it says they followed them but in another it says
-"Since each test consumes an average 90-minutes from setup to tear-down, "-
You can't do a 48 hour or 200 hour cure time in 90 minutes.
Further, with 80 samples if only one had a 200 hour cure time and all the rest were one hour the average would be at least 3.5 hours.

While I also liked their test methodology over all it has a fatal flaw.
They used the same thermocouples (mobo/CPU) for 16 months to 2 years (depending on where you read) without ever checking them for consistency.
Thermocouples are especially prone to "drifting" which means their properties change over time.
Thus there is zero confidence that what the TC was outputting for (say) 80 degrees at the beginning was the same as it was outputting for 80 degrees at the end.
It would have been very easy to check and they simply didn't do it.

That there were 80 products and only about 5 degrees difference from the absolute best to the absolute worst tells me there was something wrong with their methodology, practice, math or something.
I don't know what was wrong but an outcome like that is simply not likely. Possible - yes, likely - no.
IMHO the 'spread' should be a lot wider.

-

In response to comments about the study I linked to.
You have to bare in mind that what you see online is just a summary. A teaser. They want you to go to the link provided and buy the full study.
They INTENTIONALLY aren't telling you everything.
If you look it DOES say one of the things were looking at was aging. (Aging results just don't happen to be in the teaser.)
Clearly, if they are age testing the stuff the curing requirements were met.

They also say their tests were done IAW ASTM D5470. - ASTM D5470 is an Industry Standard test method.
Part of my job as a QA Inspector (for submarines - the whole submarine, not just electronics/nuclear) was to write (create/design) tests based on things like ASTM, Mil-Spec, Mil-STD, ANSI and a dozen others. I was in those books all the time.
For something like this I guarantee you an ASTM specifies to follow the manufacturers instructions.

As a Laboratory would be using calibrated scientific grade RTDs and checking the calibration repeatedly, drift would not be an issue for them.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-18, 05:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 33 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RTDs are resistive whereas thermocouples generate a voltage output as a function of temperature differential, but you're correct in that they are far superior (especially 4 lead RTDs) within their temperature range. Thermocouples are sometimes the only option available at extreme temperatures.

I've worked from ASTM manuals as well. Depending on the test in question, they can vary quite a lot in terms of thoroughness, but I suspect D5470 is pretty good.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 34 of 53, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

RTDs are resistive whereas thermocouples generate a voltage output as a function of temperature differential, but you're correct in that they are far superior (especially 4 lead RTDs) within their temperature range. Thermocouples are sometimes the only option available at extreme temperatures.

I've worked from ASTM manuals as well. Depending on the test in question, they can vary quite a lot in terms of thoroughness, but I suspect D5470 is pretty good.

Yes. You are right. I should edit a little so I don't confuse anyone.

I don't recall the spec or standard but we had this damned book about O-rings. Over 900 pages, little tiny print and ALL about O-rings. Everybody hated that thing.

Reply 36 of 53, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

However, as NASA and Thiokol learned, God help you if they fail.

Actually after NASA had their little problem they adopted our QA program.
The higher-ups were all proud of that but it didn't matter much to me.

Reply 37 of 53, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

... Part of my job as a QA Inspector (for submarines - the whole submarine, not just electronics/nuclear) ...

Wow, that's cool respect-048.gif . Boomers or fast attacks?

Let the air flow!

Reply 38 of 53, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How well you apply the thermal paste will probably have far more bearing on the outcome than the content of the thermal paste.

No thermal paste is as good at transferring heat as "actual" metal-to-metal contact.

Emphasis on "actual". Thermal paste is only there to fill the microscopic air gaps caused by the CPU and HSF's surfaces not being perfectly flat. Where those gaps exist, heat must travel through air. While thermal paste isn't as good as metal-to-metal contact, it's shitloads better than air at transferring heat.

Also: http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm tl;dr use toothpaste or Vegemite. 🤣

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 39 of 53, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:
Wow, that's cool http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-048.gif . Boomers or fast attacks? […]
Show full quote
PCBONEZ wrote:

... Part of my job as a QA Inspector (for submarines - the whole submarine, not just electronics/nuclear) ...

Wow, that's cool respect-048.gif . Boomers or fast attacks?

I did both but the facility I was at mostly did Boomers so I saw a lot more of those.