VOGONS Driver Library

Topic actions

Reply 421 of 1466, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Actually it's kind of the character of vogons that you find Very Groovy Things by accident, and over time.

Found the wiki yet?

No I haven't.
I haven't found a proper place to offer site suggestions either.

I'm actually not a gamer at all so Vogons is a bit out of my league.
I just got the urge to build a P-Pro for kicks and in researching to refresh my memory about old stuff I've forgotten google kept sending me here.
Figured if I was going to read here all the time I might as well join and participate a little.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 423 of 1466, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

I haven't found a proper place to offer site suggestions either.

Milliways

I C - said the blind man.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 424 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

Just a suggestion.
This is a very valuable thread/topic and it should probably be elevated to the main forum index so it's easier to find.

Here in Marvin is fine. Plus it's not actually affiliated with this site at all, purely a community project.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 426 of 1466, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ccarr690 wrote:

How do I contribute, It would not let me login and I did not see anywhere to register

PM SquallStrife the admin. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 428 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all!

ignore this
So the hosting provided upgraded to PHP 5.5, and that started causing a benign "Fatal Error" message to appear at the bottom of every page. Despite this "Fatal Error", the site seemed to still work just fine.

I have forced the PHP version back to 5.4, and this has fixed the error. Obviously this is not an ideal long-term solution.

The error was: "Fatal error: Nesting level too deep - recursive dependency? in Unknown on line 0"

The "Unknown on line 0" bit made it nearly impossible to Google for, as the error has a plethora of causes, in posts back to the year 2000!

It also made it quite difficult to try to debug. There are only two bits of code that recurse in any fashion, and commenting both of those out did not help.

So, are there any PHP gurus in the house? I don't necessarily want somebody to debug it for me, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!!

ignore that

The error is fixed. The problem wasn't that the version got upgraded, it was that I had forced version 5.5 in the first place, which I forgot I did, because I'm an idiot.

PHP 5.6 is where it should be at. And now everything's hunky dory. Derp.

Reply 429 of 1466, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are all the files gone, from the upload folder? I have uploaded a big chunck of megabytes, and I am not going to do it again.
It just takes too long to upload complete manual's, scanned at 600dpi. I have deleted them from my local drive, and not going to scan them again.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 430 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all, looking for your thoughts on something.

In the last few weeks I've got PM's from people with 0-2 posts asking for access. I have no hard-and-fast written policy on who is allowed to access, but the informal rule has been "members of the VOGONS forums", which I always took to mean people that actively post here, and/or have been around and contributed for a while.

I'll stress that it's not intended to be some form of elitism or favouritism, but rather a relatively non-exploitable way to prevent the site from being abused or just filled with irrelevant shit. Although I trust that there are very few people out there that would do such a thing, they do exist. The site has already been hacked once (thankfully it was non-destructive). I'm one person, and I look after this site in my own free time, pay for it out of my own pocket.

I think for now, that if you have files to contribute, but you are NOT a long-standing and/or active member of the VOGONS community, you should put your files somewhere (Dropbox, Mega, Onedrive, Google Drive, whatever) and request that an existing here upload them on your behalf. If you want to get a login to VogonsDrivers, contribute to discussion, and when it's apparent that you're not just spamming to get access, I'll grant access.

What do you guys think?

Reply 431 of 1466, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

What do you guys think?

The way you've been doing it is perfectly logical to me. People with 1 or 2 posts that want to upload stuff on Vogonsdrivers seems highly suspicious to me.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 433 of 1466, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

I think for now, that if you have files to contribute, but you are NOT a long-standing and/or active member of the VOGONS community, you should put your files somewhere (Dropbox, Mega, Onedrive, Google Drive, whatever) and request that an existing here upload them on your behalf. If you want to get a login to VogonsDrivers, contribute to discussion, and when it's apparent that you're not just spamming to get access, I'll grant access.

What do you guys think?

Makes a lot of sense. Plenty of free cloud storage available that people can use.

PS: What's happening with RetroSwim?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 434 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

What do you guys think?

Makes a lot of sense. Plenty of free cloud storage available that people can use.

PS: What's happening with RetroSwim?

Getting my shit together after my overseas holiday. Video in the next few days! 😀

Reply 436 of 1466, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Why are all the files gone, from the upload folder? I have uploaded a big chunck of megabytes, and I am not going to do it again.
It just takes too long to upload complete manual's, scanned at 600dpi. I have deleted them from my local drive, and not going to scan them again.

Has this gotten straightened out? I feel for brostenen, that's a lot of effort just to be junked. Disincentive for others to contribute.

Reply 437 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Has this gotten straightened out? I feel for brostenen, that's a lot of effort just to be junked. Disincentive for others to contribute.

This happened because he didn't read the instructions and process the files after uploading them (to add them to the DB).

Which is really unfortunate, granted, but this is the first time it's happened. Lesson learned I suppose. 🙁

Reply 439 of 1466, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:

Follow protocol is more important than content? Seems backwards.

More like, preserving/protecting/curating current library of content is more important (in the immediate sense) than uploading new stuff. In my opinion.
A new user can always upload his drivers elsewhere, and ask an admin to upload them for him.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database