VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received a Voodoo 3 on EBay and I am having this display issue with it: maKO5BVh.jpg
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE. Is there anyway to fix this issue or is the card just screwed?

Reply 1 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like it is about to take it's last breath of air. Ebay you say? Hmmm.... Money back then!

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 18, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Looks like it is about to take it's last breath of air. Ebay you say? Hmmm.... Money back then!

That's what I thought, damn. I wanted a Voodoo 3 AGP. It was shown as "WORKING AND USED!"

Reply 4 of 18, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just went through this myself last month... Took 5 cards to finally get a good one, but to the credit of the Ebayer he made sure that I got cards until we finally got a working unit. Not sure why he didn't test them first? Seems like he would have saved $$$ on shipping.

Reply 5 of 18, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oldbitcollector wrote:

I just went through this myself last month... Took 5 cards to finally get a good one, but to the credit of the Ebayer he made sure that I got cards until we finally got a working unit. Not sure why he didn't test them first? Seems like he would have saved $$$ on shipping.

Who was the seller, if you don't mind my asking?

Reply 7 of 18, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:
Some things to try. Make sure the motherboard works with other cards around the same age. Reset cmos Try the card in another's s […]
Show full quote

Some things to try.
Make sure the motherboard works with other cards around the same age.
Reset cmos
Try the card in another's system.
Clean the agp fingers (the part that goes in the socket.)
Make sure nothing is missing.
Make sure no pins are missing or poped out of the vga port and try the s-video port.
Use newer real drivers such as sfft or amigerlen.
Complain to the seller and get your money back.
If you don't get it back bake the card.

Card isn't detected by windows, other cards work fine. I tried cleaning the AGP fingers also, I don't have another system.

Reply 10 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That's too bad MrEWhite, looks like a terminal case. It's particularly troubling that the Voodoo 3 isn't detected by Windows.

Does the 3dfx ID string show up when the PC powers up/reboots? Is the BIOS boot screen readable?

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 12 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try looking at the ICs closely and see if any of them have any bent legs shorting.... Pay extra attention to the memory ICs - every time I see a glitch with a repeating pattern memory is my fist suspect, though the non-detection might point at the main chip.

Reply 13 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

every time I see a glitch with a repeating pattern memory is my fist suspect.

Yes.

Also check for bad solder joints (cold joints) where the solder did not bond with the leads or the solder pad.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+joints+s … KHa8HDYgQsAQIIw
Sometimes a connection that is almost okay will finally break due to heat-up cool-down cycles.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 17 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Got one for a dollar less than the broken one, works fine.

Yay! I went through this with a Geforce 8800GTX. Bought it for $39 and the first one was bad. Sent screenshot of corrupted display and he sent me another one without question. Let me keep the old one too. Someday I might try to reflow the solder in the oven to get it working again. Otherwise it's a display piece. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The oven trick will most probably work very well on a 8800 series card. Most of the time it will come back after a few months (sometimes days) so crank up the fan speed to make it last a little longer.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1