Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10061 of 52669, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a CM-32L & CM-32P today to add to my Roland modules stack. 😊 They should arrive late this week / early next week.

i read tonight the cm32p is just like my roland u110 except that the output is actually cleaner..
this actually a really shitty thing about the u110 it sounds noisey on the output

have u ever hooked this upt o a midi controller + played it?
can u confirm the cm32p has no audible noise?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 10062 of 52669, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Here are the pictures. I also put the jumper on P which means I/O 330. That was the same with the other 1 I bought. That 1 works. Without the P jumped it does not work.

It may or may not be the scratches. Maybe the ROM is blown as well. Who knows.

is this the dead card that started teh clone process?? 😁

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 10063 of 52669, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:
Roland MT-32. Upgraded to "Quasimidi". http://kawai.spb.ru/photo/d/122355-2/Roland_MT32_f.JPG. Additional 4 outputs "effect-free […]
Show full quote

Roland MT-32. Upgraded to "Quasimidi".
Roland_MT32_f.JPG.
Additional 4 outputs "effect-free" (no reverb?)
Roland_MT32_r.JPG.
Inside. Additional board, different roms:
Roland_MT32_ins.JPG.
Outputs board and battery under it.
Roland_MT32_update1.JPG. Roland_MT32_update2.JPG.
Boot messages:
Roland_MT32_boot.JPG.

There a hard to find any information about this upgrade. If someone know detail about changes - please write to me.

did u do this upgrade? or did u just find it like this?!?!!?

Reply 10064 of 52669, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Epox EP-8RDA3+ Interesting NF2u board, Barton 2500+ is under the heatsink. I'm curious how it will perform in overclocking compared to Abit NF7. 😀
epox_nf2ies3e.jpg

Abit SD7-533 One of the P4 boards supporting AGP 2x 3.3V.
abit_4781osql.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10066 of 52669, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

Epox EP-8RDA3+ Interesting NF2u board, Barton 2500+ is under the heatsink. I'm curious how it will perform in overclocking compared to Abit NF7. 😀

Heh, been a few years since I've seen one of these. I used to own and used it quite a bit with a mobile Barton (unlocked multiplier for the win!). Feature wise, it was a pretty fantastic board for 2002-2003. However, in my case, there was some instability and issues that crept up from time to time. Perhaps it was the result of faulty capacitors, however it was a bit temperamental overall.
Hopefully, yours will be a fine experience!

Reply 10067 of 52669, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

According to Cloudschatze, all of PA Spectrum 16 and Studio 16 cards require -5V, except for 650-0097-xx (IXW-SCSI 1-1) Pro Audio Studio XL card. I am not sure if he has every PAS16 variant, but indeed he owns a 650-0060-xx (IXW-PAR). It seems IXW-PAR needs -5V.

this means this card requires a specific PSU to work properly???

Any standard older power supply for early ATX and AT will provide -5v, but it was removed from "later" power supplies. I don't remember when the exact switch over was. But yes, you will need an older one for the system. If it's a card that requires -5v then new power supplies you can buy today will not provide it.

Reply 10068 of 52669, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

According to Cloudschatze, all of PA Spectrum 16 and Studio 16 cards require -5V, except for 650-0097-xx (IXW-SCSI 1-1) Pro Audio Studio XL card. I am not sure if he has every PAS16 variant, but indeed he owns a 650-0060-xx (IXW-PAR). It seems IXW-PAR needs -5V.

Any standard older power supply for early ATX and AT will provide -5v, but it was removed from "later" power supplies. I don't remember when the exact switch over was. But yes, you will need an older one for the system. If it's a card that requires -5v then new power supplies you can buy today will not provide it.

It was removed in the ATX12V 1.3 standard, apparently.

Reply 10069 of 52669, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Just get yourself a new power supply and use one of the ATX->AT adapters with -5V on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251025150787

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10070 of 52669, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Also, all AT PSUs should have provides -5V, and all early ATX PSUs have those as well.

I happen to have an AT PSU without the -5 line, so keep an eye out for that. 😉

f6YrdEbl.jpg

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 10071 of 52669, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Definetely hooked on old pc hardware now! Bought an external usb Zip 100 drive from a charity shop for 50p and then bought two more (internal Zip250) from ebay. One of which was brand new never used and the other is used but comes with the beige 5.25" adaptor plate

These are going into my 486 build and my Pentium 233 to aid with file transfers. I also got my 486 an ISA network card which as well as network also does XTIDE duties.

Also scored this for £15 from Ebay, more than i wanted to pay but worth it!

$_57.JPG
Filename
$_57.JPG
File size
190.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10072 of 52669, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

-5v was only used for the ISA bus. When ISA went away so did -5v.
No ISA slot doesn't necessarily mean there is no ISA bus on the board though. Sometimes they used it to support onboard chips.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10073 of 52669, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr_ppp wrote:

Definetely hooked on old pc hardware now! Bought an external usb Zip 100 drive from a charity shop for 50p and then bought two more (internal Zip250) from ebay. One of which was brand new never used and the other is used but comes with the beige 5.25" adaptor plate

These are going into my 486 build and my Pentium 233 to aid with file transfers. I also got my 486 an ISA network card which as well as network also does XTIDE duties.

Just keep in mind that ZIP250 drives work well only with 250MB disks, they can read and write 100MB disks, but that's really slow. It takes an hour to fill a 100MB disk on my ZIP250 USB. ZIP100 ATAPI on the other hand is doing the job much faster.

Reply 10074 of 52669, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:
Mr_ppp wrote:

Just keep in mind that ZIP250 drives work well only with 250MB disks, they can read and write 100MB disks, but that's really slow. It takes an hour to fill a 100MB disk on my ZIP250 USB. ZIP100 ATAPI on the other hand is doing the job much faster.

I can't remember mine being that slow with 100MB disks, or at least not significantly slower than the 250MB disks...or at least not dreadfully slow 😊
Btw, I think my 250MB USB ZIP drives are some of the nicest and most modern looking old gear I have! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10075 of 52669, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are still in production, but they have a copyright date of some 13 (almost 14) years ago;

g450mms4.jpg

If you know what that is, recent events might be making more sense than they were before. I got this one with adapter cables for ~£25, I think that's reasonable. Technically free because I got Christmas money, but that is in cash, so I will spend that on groceries - technically I spent it on the card, but eBay doesn't accept cash, so I just swapped them around.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10076 of 52669, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's spice things up a little!

I got a hoard of stuff for free this December. Prepare to hate me 🤣

1. A dual Socket 5 server:
- 2x Pentium-100
- Intel AltServer motherboard (codename "Altair") complete with cache module
- 32MB FPM RAM (Registered?)
- 3 SCSI Hard drives
- a SCSI CD-ROM
- Intel Columbus chassis (Classic!)

Sorry, haven't had time to clean it yet.
P1060963.JPG

2. SCSI caddy loading CD-ROM. Two sreamers, Colorado 250 and Tandberg Data something with a lot of casettes. (sorry as well)
P1060961.JPG

3. Gravis Ultrasound MAX 2.1 - confirmed working
scan%20014.png

4. Acer/AOpen VI14G VLB motherboard with nice big cache chips
P1060955.JPG

5. Some RAM, 2x4Mb SIMM 30-pin, nothing interesting apart from that.
P1060957.JPG

6. A nice PCMCIA LAN card, a CF2PCMCIA adapter, an IDE40/IDE44/SATA 2 USB adapter - all pretty handy!
P1060960.JPG

7. A mighty bunch of cables and stuff including a "888" frequency indicator, a Voodoo passthrough cable and a pair of new 5.25" to 3.5" rails.
P1060954.JPG

8. Two PCI rizers and yet another Amd X5
P1060958.JPG

9.SB AWE32 CT3910
scan%20001.png

10. SB32 CT3670 - the third one in my collection
scan%20003.png

11. Miss Melody (ESS 688). Should work well in XT.
scan%20002.png

12. 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - Diamond Monster 3D
scan%20004.png

13. ATI Rage II+ DVD. Good thing that it's PCI, I don't need another AGP Rage...
scan%20005.png

14. Cirrus Logic GD5428 VLB with memory expansion installed. That's probably 2MB, am I right?
scan%20006.png

15. InnoVision Savage 4 Extreme. I guess not extreme enough to make a good card...
scan%20007.png

16. Slotket 370SP with Celeron-400. Mendocino only 🙁
scan%20008.png

17. A VLB controller card. I've been looking for one of these.
scan%20009.png

18. A couple of suspicious Adaptec SCSI controllers.
scan%20010.png

19. Abit Hot Rod 100 PCI IDE controller. Should be a great addition to old PCI gear, I think of using it in a Socket 4 system some day. btw, the name is so stupid, it's kind of cool.
scan%20011.png

20. 3com Etherlink XL PCI LAN card. I've been looking for one of those!
scan%20012.png

21. SMC FDD+I/O controller card. Should work in XT.
scan%20013.png

And last but not least, Microsoft InPort mose with InPort controller (1986)! This will fit nicely into my future XT!
P1060959.JPG

Reply 10077 of 52669, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krivulak wrote:
Umm... can I use these? […]
Show full quote

Umm... can I use these?

SAM_1856_zpsemromixx.jpg

Hi there. I believe your problem is that you're using 1MB chips instead of the 256KB chips that are installed on the board.

Reply 10078 of 52669, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Let's spice things up a little!

I got a hoard of stuff for free this December. Prepare to hate me 🤣

Loving it! 😁

Your s5 system, the modules you mention "32MB FPM RAM (Registered?)", if you want, could you post a pic of the modules?
I remember once having stripped a dual s5 or s7 system on the street and the modules you mention sound to be similar (the case was way too heavy, but I did take the chips and the memory modules and they were also FPM I think).

Your VI14G looks similar to the VI15G I have and it seems yours also has gold-plated SIMM slots.
The cache chips you seem to have on your board seem to be the ones you need 8 of to have 512KB cache, so I reckon yours has 256KB cache in total?
I think mine came with the smaller ones.
I read in the past it was a bad idea to mix metal types because of corrosion, but in later years I've also read that this wasn't as much of a problem as it was made out to be. Since I have plenty gold-plated FPM SIMMs that doesn't really bother me though and you seem to have gotten a couple gold-plated SIMMs yourself, though I can't read the print to see if those are EDO or FPM. They have either 4MB (if the other side is empty) or 8MB (if both sides also have chips).

Your SIMMs with only 2 large chips are usually 4MB (the one with the very thick chips, if the other side is empty) and the other one with the very thin large chips should be 16MB if the other side is empty, but I admit that my memory is a bit rusty here 😊

And you got a GUS! 😁

And what's so special about the 3com Etherlink XL PCI LAN card if I may ask? 😀

Great haul! 😉

HighTreason wrote:
These are still in production, but they have a copyright date of some 13 (almost 14) years ago; […]
Show full quote

These are still in production, but they have a copyright date of some 13 (almost 14) years ago;

g450mms4.jpg

If you know what that is, recent events might be making more sense than they were before. I got this one with adapter cables for ~£25, I think that's reasonable. Technically free because I got Christmas money, but that is in cash, so I will spend that on groceries - technically I spent it on the card, but eBay doesn't accept cash, so I just swapped them around.

Do you mean the datecode that's usually printed on the PCB?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!