VOGONS

My Retro Rigs - Andariel and Duriel

Topic actions

First post, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tonight I have been rearranging my retro machines (decided these two will be my mains), so why not take some pics and finally get around to making my own thread here on Vogons? 😊

All the computers on my home network are named after antagonists from the Diablo series. These two are two of the Lesser Evils - sister/brother twins Andariel and Duriel. Andariel is the "Maiden of Anguish", sent by Diablo to guard the Rogue Monastery. Andariel's twin brother Duriel is the "Lord of Pain", and guards Tal Rasha's chamber.

6xHzASJ.jpg

After seeing the BitFenix Comrade case, which is available in white and black, I had the idea to build my two retro rigs to be twins (they used to be built on a shitty DIY test bench and in a Fujitsu-Siemens case). After sourcing complete Platinum packages of the SoundBlasters I wanted to use, both builds got a Creative LiveDrive and an optical drive in the drive bays - one black and one white. I'm considering adding a 3.5" floppy drive to Duriel (I already have the drive and adapter) but I'm not convinced I need it in there permanently just yet.

First off, we have Andariel. She's a Q4 1999 rig with a few "embellishments" (namely HDDs and RAM), but otherwise pretty suitable for the period. The specs are:

Mobo:     MSI MS-6163 Version 2 (Intel 440BX)
CPU: Intel Pentium 3 500MHz Coppermine SECC2
GPUs: Matrox Millennium G400 32MB
2x Creative Voodoo2 12MB in SLI
RAM: 3x 256MB Micron PC-133 CL2 (768MB total)
PSU: 300W Excellent Power
HDDs: 2x 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 7200rpm
Promise Ultra66 PCI IDE Controller
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Live! Platinum (CT4760+CT4860)
Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold (CT4390)
Network: 3com 3C-905CX 10/100 NIC
Optical: A-Open 16x DVD-ROM 48x CD-ROM
Floppy: Mitsumi 1.44MB
Case: BitFenix Comrade White with Window, 2x 120mm fans

qCJQxvo.jpg

DE5ZGzT.jpg

Si2n2fQ.jpg

P8CQamS.jpg

On the inside, the case is fully loaded - every slot is filled with some sort of expansion card (can't have a 90s retro machine with free slots, can you? 🤣 ). I have a Voodoo3 3000 which I occasionally swap into it, but I keep going back to the G400/V2SLI setup because it's so badarse, and the Matrox card is fantastically sharp and clear compared to the V3.

The case is actually quite good for a retro build considering it's so cheap - managing cables is important to me, and this has just enough room to keep them tidy behind the mobo tray. I spent a few hours organising the cables to make sure it looks as clean and uncluttered as possible.

At one stage I had a Slocket with an 800MHz 100FSB Coppermine in it. This was plenty fast, but the Slocket was just too unstable (physically) and I had to constantly re-seat it. Instead, I've swapped that out for a proper SECC2 500MHz Coppermine until I can find an SECC2 800MHz 100FSB model.

The only thing I'm not 100% on board with is the PSU - it's kinda shit. I should swap it out for something of a higher quality, but it's fine for now.

In terms of software, I'm in the process of wiping it and reconfiguring the whole thing (since I decided not to use my old DOS build anymore). It'll have Win98SE and a pure MS-DOS config.

Next up, we have Duriel. He's a Q4 2003 build, mostly based on Maximum PC's 2003 Dream Machine with a few substitutions. It was built to be overclocked and pushed to its limits! This machine was quite an interesting build for me, because from 2003 to 2007 I was in my Mac phase and only owned Apple laptops - I completely passed by the whole Netburst/Athlon era, and I was eager to know more! Here are the specs:

Mobo:     ASUS P4P800-E (Intel 865PE)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz Northwood Socket 478
Scythe Shuriken Rev.B CPU cooler
GPU: MSI FX5950U-VTD256 (Nvidia FX5950Ultra 256MB)
RAM: 4x 512MB Corsair XMS 400MHz CL2 (2GB total)
PSU: 430W Enermax EG465P-VE
HDDs: 2x 36GB Western Digital Raptor 10000rpm in RAID 0
320GB Western Digital Caviar SE 7200rpm
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Network: Onboard Marvell 10/100/1000 NIC
Optical: Pioneer 212 DVD-RW SATA
Case: BitFenix Comrade Black, 3x 120mm fans

9KF2dhs.jpg

670lkHX.jpg

UqrAk34.jpg

InOuLRT.jpg

I managed to source almost all of the core components that Maximum PC used in their 2003 Dream Machine. The substitutions I made were the motherboard, no liquid cooling, and small upgrades to the GPU and sound card. Really happy with the result, it's one beastly build!

The centerpiece of the build is that glorious MSI FX5950Ultra! This thing has one of the blingiest coolers I've seen on a GPU, with plated heatsinks on the front and rear of the card to go perfectly with its bright red PCB. I love this thing, and seeing it on eBay and needing to have it is basically what kicked off this whole build.

The CPU, RAM, mobo and CPU cooler were all chosen to get this thing overclocking. I couldn't find the Abit IC7 they used in the Dream Machine, but this ASUS board is the next best thing, and I was lucky enough to snag the Scythe Shuriken with the proper mounting hardware for Socket 478 on a lucky eBay auction. It's still running at stock clocks for now, but once I have it all configured I'll start to bump them up and see what this baby can do! 😅

The drive bays are filled with a speedy pair of WD Raptors configured as a RAID 0 stripe with the P4P800-E's onboard SATA RAID controller. It's fast as balls, and since the contents of the drive won't be missed if it goes wrong, I can get away with the poor redundancy. A big 320GB IDE drive, an old unused HDD I had sitting in the cupboard, was put in for storing ISOs and stuff.

Again, the case is a BitFenix Comrade. This build was a bit more difficult to manage cables for, and the back panel takes some fiddling to get back on, but it works and I'm happy with the results! Shame about the ribbon cable for the Audigy front panel though. Also, I just realised that I'm missing a couple of PCI slot covers - I ran out of black vented ones. 😕

Just like Andariel, I'm in the process of wiping Duriel's boot drive and reconfiguring it. It's easy enough to plug in a 3.5" FDD temporarily for the RAID driver, but otherwise it isn't needed, so I left it out. If I feel as though I really REALLY want them to match, I can put it in I suppose.

Here's how I have them set up in my desk. They have their own compartment to buddy up in underneath my modern rig:

OyiYDz6.jpg

A stack of modules connects it all together (really gotta do some dusting!):

jptkZSU.jpg

First in the stack is a Roland SC-55 which is attached to the AWE64 in Andariel. Next is an Aten CS84U KVM for the two retro rigs. Additionally, there's a 2-port USB switch under the desk which switches my keyboard between my main modern desktop and the KVM, and a Microsoft WMO is attached directly to the KVM for controlling the retro rigs (my Steelseries Kana V2 doesn't play nice with the older ones). Finally, I have an Aten VS92A 1-to-2 active VGA splitter - I use this to attach a 19" 1280x1024 monitor to if I feel the need to have a more suitable aspect ratio screen without messing around with the cables under the desk. All the computers are plugged into my Logitech 2.1 speakers.

All this feeds into the middle screen of my 3x1080p setup (bonus Linus sadface):

fczb99t.jpg

I hope you enjoy perusing my retro rigs! 😁 These two have been over a year in the making, with the time spent mainly sourcing parts and tinkering. Once I get around to reconfiguring them both, I'll do some benches and start overclocking the Lord of Pain!

Reply 2 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, excellently done! 😁
I've often build pairs of rigs which are roughly similar, but you turned it into a work of art 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are lovely retro time machines, well done!

I like how took an idea and followed through, that's brilliant.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 20, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First seen topic name i thought its gonna be Athlon and Duron builds (not a fan of Diablo so idk),but this twins is also rocks,looks clean and solid,have similar 5,25/3,5 adapter but mine from supermicro chassis.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 5 of 20, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

These are fantastic! Congrats on the builds and very clean and beautiful presentation!

Tetrium wrote:

Wow, excellently done! 😁
I've often build pairs of rigs which are roughly similar, but you turned it into a work of art 😁

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Those are lovely retro time machines, well done!

I like how took an idea and followed through, that's brilliant.

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the result, as making sure it blended in well with my overall setup was quite important. I was running a DOS rig in an old Highscreen case for a while, but it just didn't look right. But now they look like they were meant to be together!

rein_ein wrote:

First seen topic name i thought its gonna be Athlon and Duron builds (not a fan of Diablo so idk),but this twins is also rocks,looks clean and solid,have similar 5,25/3,5 adapter but mine from supermicro chassis.

Haha yeah I thought that might come up! I have a bit of a one-track mind and go with Intel for almost everything, so I don't really have much AMD experience outside of the K6-2 in my old DOS rig.

The drive bay adapter is a BitFenix one. I also have the matching black one for Duriel but haven't felt the need to install it.

Reply 7 of 20, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ramiro77 wrote:

Wow! I love those cases. They look so neat. Congrats!
What do you play on the piii?

I had a dedicated DOS machine for a while which I've just given the boot, so prior to this it's been mainly Win9x stuff. A lot of UT99, Unreal, Diablo 2, Brood War, QuakeGL, Need for Speed 3, Age of Empires 2, Half Life, Fallout, Simcity 3000... Those are probably the main games I play on this machine.

The Pentium 4 gets stuff like Battlefield 1942, Warcraft 3, more Diablo 2, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Age of Mythology, Morrowind... it gets comparatively less use than the P3 though.

Right now they're both in a stage of overhaul though.

Reply 8 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautifully thought out and assembled. The attention to detail in the cable management is enviable! 😀 Congrats!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 20, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent work! Love the carefully considered hardware choices and presentstion. Lots of fun to be had with those two bad boys.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12 of 20, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are great. Thanks for sharing!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 14 of 20, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upon being challenged to a 3DMark 2000 duel from someone on Reddit, I've done some benchmarking of Andariel. Settings are default 1024x768x16bit.

With the 500MHz proc I have in there now, running at 500MHz:

• Matrox G400 - 2465
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 93MHz - 2211
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 100MHz - 2267

Challenger had a 1GHz P3, so I had to up my game! Got out my trusty P3 800E Coppermine and Slocket

U73MaQj.jpg

naEGr7S.jpg

With the 800E running at 800MHz:

• Matrox G400 - 2952
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 93MHz - 2581
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 96MHz - 2624

That wasn't enough though, moar power! I upped the FSB to 110MHz and voltage to 1.80V. With the 800E running at 880MHz:

• Matrox G400 - 3010
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 93MHz - 2656
  • Creative Voodoo2 SLI @ 98MHz - 2744

Images and screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/sJRIG

That'll teach those punks! 🤣

Reply 17 of 20, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice builds 😎
Thoses cases completely fit with the hardware inside 😳 I'm using a Bitfenix case too (a BitFenix Merc Alpha) for my maxed Win98SE pc.
It would be a bit safier to have a fan blowing fresh air between thoses two Voodoo 2 😊 It may not be a big deal if it work flawlessly as it is without overheating though 😀
Proud owner of a Creative Voodoo 2 12 MB SLI too and using it with a PIII 800EB on a socket 370 motherboard (2612 pts clocked @93 Mhz and 2155 @75) 😎

Reply 18 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your setups are amazing, and the work environment is very neat. I have a couple of retro rigs remarkably similar to yours, but nowhere near yours in cleanliness. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 19 of 20, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darksheer wrote:
Nice builds :cool: Thoses cases completely fit with the hardware inside 8-O I'm using a Bitfenix case too (a BitFenix Merc Al […]
Show full quote

Nice builds 😎
Thoses cases completely fit with the hardware inside 😳 I'm using a Bitfenix case too (a BitFenix Merc Alpha) for my maxed Win98SE pc.
It would be a bit safier to have a fan blowing fresh air between thoses two Voodoo 2 😊 It may not be a big deal if it work flawlessly as it is without overheating though 😀
Proud owner of a Creative Voodoo 2 12 MB SLI too and using it with a PIII 800EB on a socket 370 motherboard (2612 pts clocked @93 Mhz and 2155 @75) 😎

They're cool cases aren't they! 😎

Better Voodoo cooling is a priority! It works great with a very mild overclock, but longevity is key. I'm working on a fan mount for the inside to mount a 120mm fan directly in front of the expansion cards. There is a 120mm fan in the front bringing cool air in, but the drive cages are a bit restrictive unfortunately.

Artex wrote:

Works of art! Absolutely awesome stuff here. I love your style!

dr_st wrote:

Your setups are amazing, and the work environment is very neat. I have a couple of retro rigs remarkably similar to yours, but nowhere near yours in cleanliness. 😀

pojo wrote:

I like your builds a lot. Might have to get one of those cases.

Thanks guys! Yeah I really like these cases, they're excellent for the price. Only thing that I'm not 100% happy about is that the drive cages aren't removable, so I can't fit my AWE32 in it. 😵