VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1440 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
I've fixed the bug: […]
Show full quote

I've fixed the bug:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/D3D8.zip

However I found one in the DX8 renderer of the game (unrelated to the terrain).
In pre-DX8, one had to tell the D3D draw methods how many VERTICES they want to render.
In DX8, number of the PRIMITIVES has to be given to the draw methods.

When Giants renders a screen quad by 2 triangles, it calls DX7 with 6 vertices to draw.
The DX8 renderer passes to the drawing method that same 6, resulting in drawing 6 triangles... When somebody ported it from DX7 to 8, it escaped his notice.
Unfortunately it can result in flashing extra waste polygons in the game. I cannot do anything with that, the game should be patched instead.
I don't really know why it works natively.

One more observation: In GoG version, the DX8 renderer dll is renamed to gg_dx7r.dll, and no DX7 renderer is available. Also, it looks like there are some other hackings in the game because, for example, I cannot see the bank of the river (neither via dgVoodoo, nor natively) at the beginning scene but only a black area. The terrain also looks somewhat uglier compared to the patch that Firtasik linked here, not to mention that bump mapping bug doesn't come with that.

Thanks!

Steam Aquanox still crashing @start (no problem with DXWnd and basic settings).

Reply 1441 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

GoG build of Commandos 3 now goes ingame, but with a lot of rendering errors.

Color palette issues (like it has natively actually, but with DxWnd it's fixably with 16-bit color compatibility mode), spiky polygon syndrome, some background tiles are too bright for whatever reason.

It's only the GoG version? It would be nice to test some day to see the reason.

Tell me what test do you need boss and I'll make them now if I can 😁

Reply 1443 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding Johnny Herbert:

Dege wrote:
My tip is that D3D impl of Win95/98 slightly(?) differs from the NT-based versions. There are two possibilites: - Either figurin […]
Show full quote

My tip is that D3D impl of Win95/98 slightly(?) differs from the NT-based versions. There are two possibilites:
- Either figuring out the game internals, how it handles the execute buffers, what it exactly wants to do, and then patch it to make it compatible with NT-version D3D, if possible at all
- Or reverse engineering the parts in question of 95/98 version of D3D3 and make dgVoodoo to be compliant with that.

I did the reverse engineering on Win7, so dgVoodoo has a DX implementation nearest approaching to an NT-based MS DX version.

I have both JHGP and Grand Prix Championship 2, which is (as mentioned) a tweaked version of the JHGP engine, to the point where if you place the executable and several other files from GPC2 into the JHGP folder, the game will work, however it inherits changes that GPC2 made, such as no chrome, black skid marks on grass, a very visible racing line in fog and changed camera positions in-car and behind-the-car.

I'm happy to supply both *if* you would ever have time to look at this (as the dgVoodoo fixes should take priority!)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1444 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My tip is that D3D impl of Win95/98 slightly(?) differs from the NT-based versions. There are two possibilites:
- Either figuring out the game internals, how it handles the execute buffers, what it exactly wants to do, and then patch it to make it compatible with NT-version D3D, if possible at all
- Or reverse engineering the parts in question of 95/98 version of D3D3 and make dgVoodoo to be compliant with that.

I believe these different implementations of D3D, might be the key to some other bugs in other games.
Take Splinter Cell 1 & 2, for example, i dont remember seeing so many game bugs when i played these games, on Win98/Me, back then. (wow...how time flies 😁 ).

One day i will reinstall win Me on my ancient machine a give it a try.

Reply 1445 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a short note for now:

finally I released 2.5. I know there still are bugs, but unfortunately I'm going to have very few time in the next 1-2 weeks to deal with the development and didn't wanted to wait till then. At least I can clear my mind a bit. 😀

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2_5.zip

Reply 1448 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
millibyte wrote:
Thanks alot Dege! Running some of my favorite oldies in W10 now, no more vsync woes, MSAA working nicely, much appreciated. :) […]
Show full quote

Thanks alot Dege! Running some of my favorite oldies in W10 now, no more vsync woes, MSAA working nicely, much appreciated. 😀

Chrome
Chrome.jpg

Chaser
Chaser.jpg

A letter of B-series love from 2003 😁

Reply 1449 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having trouble with F1 97 3Dfx version, in both dgVoodoo and nGlide, see here: Formula 1 97 no longer works

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1452 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should this software work for 2D directdraw games? If so, I tried American Conquest: Divided Nation (I believe it runs on the Cossacks engine). I get sound but a black screen with dgVoodoo and a crash without (probably because without dgVoodoo it tries to use my laptop's Intel card).

Reply 1453 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Congrats 😀 The post release pressure relief is well deserved.

Thanks!

millibyte wrote:
Thanks alot Dege! Running some of my favorite oldies in W10 now, no more vsync woes, MSAA working nicely, much appreciated. :) […]
Show full quote

Thanks alot Dege! Running some of my favorite oldies in W10 now, no more vsync woes, MSAA working nicely, much appreciated. 😀

Chrome
Chrome.jpg

Chaser
Chaser.jpg

Glad to hear and nice to see! 😎

dx8gamer wrote:

ONIMUSHA (鬼武者), the frame buffer didn't clear.

with dgVoodoo 2.5

Thanks for the report! I will try to fix as many bugs as can be in the next version.
(Maybe I'm wrong but I feel the DX8 implementation is in way much better state now than DX was when I first released it.)

VEG wrote:
Dege wrote:

Yes, an option 'keep app alive' or something like that.

Dege wrote:

Just a short note for now: finally I released 2.5.

Very nice, thanks. And... Is there still no 'keep app alive' option? I can't find it 🙁

I forgot it... sorry. 🙁
I'll include it in the next version. Won't have to wait another half year for it.

Tafferwocky wrote:

Should this software work for 2D directdraw games? If so, I tried American Conquest: Divided Nation (I believe it runs on the Cossacks engine). I get sound but a black screen with dgVoodoo and a crash without (probably because without dgVoodoo it tries to use my laptop's Intel card).

Yes, it definitely should, but I never tested this game.
But, black screen with sound in the background is a typical symptom of the game rendering to the window with GDI (it's not yet supported when dgVoodoo is in fullscreen).
To check this, try forcing the game into windowed mode through dgVoodooSetup and see if it works.

Reply 1455 of 3949, by Tafferwocky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Yes, it definitely should, but I never tested this game. But, black screen with sound in the background is a typical symptom of […]
Show full quote
Tafferwocky wrote:

But, black screen with sound in the background is a typical symptom of the game rendering to the window with GDI (it's not yet supported when dgVoodoo is in fullscreen).
To check this, try forcing the game into windowed mode through dgVoodooSetup and see if it works.

I set it to this (so the game starts fullscreen then very quickly switches to a window), but it's still just blackness. Odd. I'm at my wit's end trying to get this game to work 😵

Reply 1456 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tafferwocky wrote:
Dege wrote:
Yes, it definitely should, but I never tested this game. But, black screen with sound in the background is a typical symptom of […]
Show full quote
Tafferwocky wrote:

I set it to this (so the game starts fullscreen then very quickly switches to a window), but it's still just blackness. Odd. I'm at my wit's end trying to get this game to work 😵

OK, I've just did a quick test on this game and indeed, I got a black screen too. It must be a bug in the wrapper, I'll try to fix it in the next version.

Reply 1459 of 3949, by Glurak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i use this Wrapper to Play Omikron - The Nomad Sky but i cant remove the Watermark of dgVoodoo. If i uncheck it it will be still there. i use version 2.5 is this a bug? I woul love to do a lets play but the watermark is not good for something like that ^^