VOGONS

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Came across this over the new year which cost me little more than the shipping... and since receiving it all dusty and worn looking I have given it a bit of a clean with electrical contact cleaner to spruce it up a little

I have no idea where it is from or if it works and if it is indeed EISA or instead an EISA emulated proprietary 32 bit slot but it is interesting none the less.

2a9ee3461149462.jpg

Running a search on the two ID's proved unfruitful; -

PUMA3DA - 1.00
S/N - 920500509

So I have resorted to generalizing the search for EISA CPU cards which is not coming up with much.

Anyone recognize this or what system it maybe came from?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kinda had a very similar problem last week when I tried to identify some Tulip 286 ISA board, I asked about it on VCF here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ip-286-ISA-card

And apparently there were basically 2 types of this kind of board: Computer upgrade cards and Computer-on-a-card and mine seemed to be the latter

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I kinda had a very similar problem last week when I tried to identify some Tulip 286 ISA board, I asked about it on VCF here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ip-286-ISA-card

And apparently there were basically 2 types of this kind of board: Computer upgrade cards and Computer-on-a-card and mine seemed to be the latter

Hey thanks for your post and info... your board looks awesome! I like big long ISA cards which lot's of the FPGA, and DIL chips on them, before they were all consolidated into a north/south bridge etc.

I would probably say that of the two... that the 386 EISA card is more likely an upgrade card used either with a back-plane or proprietary system. It's lacking a few things to be stand-alone as with the modern 386 / 486 Single Board Computers (SBC's) there are usually further expansion options like 30-pin simms for memory and I/O for IDE / Floppy etc or even a serial / PS/2 mouse port.

The notable features are a 66MHz crystal, FPU socket, AMI bios and cache... so it is limited somewhat and requires other parts of a system to be complete.

Question is... which system?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 3 of 7, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to find the site I was looking for... https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/

which is an excellent resource when trying to ID old and rare HW.

On the 386 motherboard list: - https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/m386_i.htm

The closest I managed to find was this: - https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/34754.htm

The interface isn't the same and it seems to have a bit more cache banks than the EISA card but as yet, it's the closest I've come to finding a match.

Reply 4 of 7, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember i had an AST 486 server that used dedicated CPU card. Compaq also had a lot of servers and desktops that had that, but With Compaq i think a spare part number always was printed.
AST, ALR and NEC also had 386 EISA systems.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:
Hey thanks for your post and info... your board looks awesome! I like big long ISA cards which lot's of the FPGA, and DIL chips […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Hey thanks for your post and info... your board looks awesome! I like big long ISA cards which lot's of the FPGA, and DIL chips on them, before they were all consolidated into a north/south bridge etc.

I would probably say that of the two... that the 386 EISA card is more likely an upgrade card used either with a back-plane or proprietary system. It's lacking a few things to be stand-alone as with the modern 386 / 486 Single Board Computers (SBC's) there are usually further expansion options like 30-pin simms for memory and I/O for IDE / Floppy etc or even a serial / PS/2 mouse port.

The notable features are a 66MHz crystal, FPU socket, AMI bios and cache... so it is limited somewhat and requires other parts of a system to be complete.

Question is... which system?

I think that Tulip board doesn't work anymore and on top of that I don't have the right hardware for it anymore. I kinda kept it because I think it looks awesome somehow. It's heavy too! 😁

It would've been nice to have some kind of ISA 286 board which could be used to downgrade a faster system...or perhaps even a PCI one though I don't know how this would actually be useful 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

...or perhaps even a PCI one though I don't know how this would actually be useful 😁

Just to see if you can. 😎

Reply 7 of 7, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scraphoarder wrote:

I remember i had an AST 486 server that used dedicated CPU card. Compaq also had a lot of servers and desktops that had that, but With Compaq i think a spare part number always was printed.
AST, ALR and NEC also had 386 EISA systems.

Cheers for the info.

Yea, I have quite a few of the Compaq varieties... 5 different CPU cards for 3 different systems. I like Compaq.

Have been looking into AST and ALR. ALR seems quite close as well but can't seem to find much on their CPU/NPU cards. NEC I will look into next.

Thanks again.