VOGONS

Bioforge: runs, but stuck at start

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by blarg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've got Bioforge to run under DosBox 0.63, although it's pretty slow. My problem is I seem to be stuck right at the start of the game. I'm at the part where you're lying down on a bed with some ominous music playing. I think some event is supposed to happen to wake you up, but that never happens. I think it might be some timing trigger that isn't going off.

I'm running an AMD 2.0 GHz machine with 512 MB of RAM. I have frameskip set to 1, and cycles set to 4000. I have tried dynamic and normal core, but I'm not really sure what those affect. Has anyone had a similar problem running the game, and can help?

Reply 2 of 8, by blarg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure it's just a control problem. I've tried a whole bunch of key combinations to move, and nothing seems to work. I played the game years ago and I seem to remember there should be an earthquake or something like that, after which you're able to move. Has anyone played the game who could tell me if something's supposed to happen in the first scene before you're able to move?

From the game compatibility list it looks like some folks have managed to get the game running, maybe someone can suggest config settings.

Reply 3 of 8, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just played it under DosBox 0.63 using the original CD. I got out of the bed automatically, didn't have to press anything. You need to knock the robot into the force field at your cell door. Press C to go into combat mode, then with NumLock off use Alt + keys on numpad for different fighting moves.
I never did finish this game years ago. I think it was all of the key combinations you had to remember for fighting and interacting with the game that made me give up back then. Something else came along and got my attention and I never returned to it.

Reply 7 of 8, by Callidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im having this same strange problem. he just lays there doin nothing and i cant even get into options or the personal thing.

EDIT:
got it to work, its kinda slow but i can deal with it. it seems that either the game or dosbox doesnt like dvd drives. so i installed the game and played it with my cd burner.

Reply 8 of 8, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I found a solution for the people who is stuck at the beginning of the game unable to move out of bed or do anything.

I copy-paste from Abandonia Forum about Bioforge:

"Attention anyone who can't get Lex to wake up at the beginning!

If he doesn't get up, this is a problem with how you've set up your sound card in the Install Program. Make sure you've got the IRQ set correctly. (For example, I use dosbox and it sets the IRQ to 7, but by default the IRQ in the install program is 5.) If the sound card is improperly set up, nothing will happen in the game.

To test this, see if there's speech going on in the intro to the game. If there's no speech, your sound card is not set up right."

I tested It and worked!

I had the same problem, and after I changed the IRQ from 5 to 7 using a Sound blaster 16 in the Install.exe, the game then worked flawlessly.

Credits to Sonicfan37 (in the page 4) from Abandonia (Thanks mate!).
http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?url=showthread.php?t=14578