VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10500 of 52742, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good find! I had a Sony DDS3 drive that died. I'd actually really like to find a replacement for that someday but it's down the list.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10501 of 52742, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$7 for one WD400 ide 7200rpm in perfect working condition + one Sound Blaster Live! Value (CT4830) in perfect condition too.
Another good day for retro things. These are perfect for my Soyo 6BA+iii 😎

Reply 10502 of 52742, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

I've been waiting for my local friend on and off to finish repairing some tape drives for me, so finally I can get in to external offline storage that's reliable... TAPES! 😀
I also bought some more kinda retro'ish stuff from a thrift store today I'll put in a second post in a little bit.

Somehow I find these things awesome, nice find! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10503 of 52742, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
kithylin wrote:

I've been waiting for my local friend on and off to finish repairing some tape drives for me, so finally I can get in to external offline storage that's reliable... TAPES! 😀
I also bought some more kinda retro'ish stuff from a thrift store today I'll put in a second post in a little bit.

Somehow I find these things awesome, nice find! 😁

Yep, I think tape is awesome, high capacity tape like this at least.

Tomorrow dig out my 15 year old dell server to try and get it working in that.

Reply 10504 of 52742, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This afternoon yet another MIDI daughterboard arrived: the Ensoniq Soundscape DB (revision A). This is already the third addition to my collection this year! Photos on my webpage, for anyone who's interested. And no, I did not open the package off my Media Vision soundcard and daughterboard yet...

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 10505 of 52742, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of rare DB. Congratulations. Where did you found this items?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 10506 of 52742, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
easy_john wrote:

A lot of rare DB. Congratulations. Where did you found this items?

I didn't. The previous owners of these DBs found me and we were able to set up trades for mutual benefit. That's a nice way to extend a collection. It has become hard to find these boards and those that are offered go for insane prices most of the time. There are a still a few more that I would like to have though, but who knows if and when they'll come....

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 10507 of 52742, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a SCSI card for my PowerMac for cheap (Atto UL5D.) It is surprisingly hard to find a compatible one for a G5.

g5scsi.jpg
Filename
g5scsi.jpg
File size
145.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

How many adapters do you guys think it'll take to bodge these LVD/U320 ports down to DB25 so I can connect it to my sampler? 😁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10508 of 52742, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got my tandy 1000rl hd. I'm excited to test it out when I get some time.

rps20160201_010115.jpg
Filename
rps20160201_010115.jpg
File size
55.37 KiB
Views
File license
rps20160201_010025.jpg
Filename
rps20160201_010025.jpg
File size
81.92 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 10509 of 52742, by Boyzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

as for the cards it has a Reveal ISA sound card. doesn't look to shabby as it has a wavetable header and a real opl chip.2 I/O cards. a weird little card with a chip labeled "logitech juliette 2" I assumed it was a bus mouse card but the port doesn't look like it quite matches up. the video card is a WD paradise accelerator 24.

I've been searching for Juliette2 today (because I happen to have the same card). Found this through FCC ID number:
https://fccid.io/DZLSCB2JR
Regarding to FCC it's a scanner controller card. 😀
Will check out (somehow) if it's controller for Logitech Scanman Model 32 (which i happen to own too).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Boxed-Logit … M-/231799359601
Though regarding pics on web i have THE right controller (another one: https://fccid.io/DZLVSCNR) in the Scanman 32 box - and that controller is bigger and wears "Scanman Plus Controller Board" inscription.

Reply 10510 of 52742, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

I finally got my tandy 1000rl hd. I'm excited to test it out when I get some time.

rps20160201_010115.jpg
rps20160201_010025.jpg

I see the floppy eject button is blue, did they use IBM floppy drives or did they just copy the "blue eject button" design? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10511 of 52742, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I see the floppy eject button is blue, did they use IBM floppy drives or did they just copy the "blue eject button" design? 😜

I believe they just mimic the ibm design with the blue/teal eject button. From what I recall, Tandy 1000 floppy drives were made by Panasonic, Teac, and Sony. Also, most 3.5" drives were special types that were powered via a 'special' proprietary fdd cable which carried data and power. There are some models which used just regular fdd's as well but I can't recall the exact models.

Reply 10512 of 52742, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A nifty upgrade for my ECS G220:

PentiumM.jpg
Filename
PentiumM.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

This laptop is just weird: it uses an Intel 855GM chipset as far as I know, but had a Pentium M 740 installed (1.73MHz with a 533MT/s FSB). The BIOS did not recognize the processor (BIOS showed it as a 600MHz Pentium M) and I had to recompile the speedstep-centrino from Debian with some patches I found online that added Sonoma chips to it. Even then I'm not sure it was really operating at 1.73MHz as I don't think speedstep-centrino OCed the bus. This 1.7GHz 400MT/s Pentium M processor got recognized by the BIOS right away. Another weird thing is that it had no thermal grease betweent the processor and the heatsink. I added some when I changed the processors and now the laptop is a bit more silent.

Reply 10513 of 52742, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

PentiumM.jpg

This laptop is just weird: it uses an Intel 855GM chipset as far as I know, but had a Pentium M 740 installed (1.73MHz with a 533MT/s FSB). The BIOS did not recognize the processor (BIOS showed it as a 600MHz Pentium M) and I had to recompile the speedstep-centrino from Debian with some patches I found online that added Sonoma chips to it. Even then I'm not sure it was really operating at 1.73MHz as I don't think speedstep-centrino OCed the bus. This 1.7GHz 400MT/s Pentium M processor got recognized by the BIOS right away. Another weird thing is that it had no thermal grease betweent the processor and the heatsink. I added some when I changed the processors and now the laptop is a bit more silent.

Intel 855GM is 400MHz FSB
http://ark.intel.com/products/27704/Intel-828 … mory-Controller

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10514 of 52742, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

PentiumM.jpg

600 MHz is the base clock speed for the Pentium Ms when they're not loaded up and on a 400 MHz FSB, so that on its own doesn't mean much. Also, a lot of laptops didn't come with thermal grease from the factory; some used pads, some used silver foil. It also seems to use the GME chipset, which supports DDR333 (but is definitely 400 MHz FSB only.)

Reply 10515 of 52742, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

My point exactly - why was a 533MHz FSB processor installed on that notebook? That machine belonged to my father, and as far as I know he never even opened that thing, so why would it have a processor not supported by the chipset?
Also, it worked just fine with the original install, but when my yougest brother broke it to the point of no return, I was NEVER able to make everything as seamless again - either I had to use RMClock (Windows) or a patched speedstep-centrino to get this thing above the 1.5x multi, and I could never get the battery to display its status in Win2k, XP and Linux, despite the fact the BIOS seems to be able to calibrate it just fine, and it does hold charge. Quirky thing, but I've grown attached to it.

Reply 10516 of 52742, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a 2.66Ghz Xeon 3070 for $9.25. 😀 This processor debuted at over $500 in late 2006, so I consider it a good bargain. It works perfectly in my Intel D946GZIS (a non-server board) and is otherwise identical to the Conroe C2D E6700. From what I've read, the Xeon version tends to run cooler and overclock higher. This is for my high-end XP retro machine and matches up well with the GeForce 8800GTX. It's close to the fastest possible period-correct 2007 system, at least from a gaming standpoint. The previous processor in this system was a 1.86Ghz E6300, so it will be a significant improvement (over 40%). Here is the ebay link (the seller has more):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/intel-Xeon-3070-core- … gEAAOSw-ndTmz-L

The only blemish I give it is my CPU has a green sharpie check on it. No one will ever see it, but it is unsightly when handling and viewing. 🙁
edit: it was a highlighter mark, not sharpie, so it cleaned off easily.

Benchmark results coming in the next week or so.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10517 of 52742, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

600 MHz is the base clock speed for the Pentium Ms when they're not loaded up and on a 400 MHz FSB, so that on its own doesn't mean much. Also, a lot of laptops didn't come with thermal grease from the factory; some used pads, some used silver foil. It also seems to use the GME chipset, which supports DDR333 (but is definitely 400 MHz FSB only.)

I know, the problem is that the chip was stuck on 600MHz on Linux and during the bootup process - it never increased its multiplier. The new chip is recognized correctly as 1.7GHz on the POST screen, and even GRUB loads faster now. Yeah it does support DDR333 - I'm using a 1GB stick (up from the original 256MB one).

Reply 10518 of 52742, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

My point exactly - why was a 533MHz FSB processor installed on that notebook? That machine belonged to my father, and as far as I know he never even opened that thing, so why would it have a processor not supported by the chipset?
Also, it worked just fine with the original install, but when my yougest brother broke it to the point of no return, I was NEVER able to make everything as seamless again - either I had to use RMClock (Windows) or a patched speedstep-centrino to get this thing above the 1.5x multi, and I could never get the battery to display its status in Win2k, XP and Linux, despite the fact the BIOS seems to be able to calibrate it just fine, and it does hold charge. Quirky thing, but I've grown attached to it.

Sounds like maybe someone played "prestO-changeO" when you weren't looking.
My laptop experience with Pentium-M is all with Toughbooks but I haven't had that many. (Favor C2D models.)
I kind of hoard Pentium-M desktop boards though. [MoDT] I have a few over a dozen now.
Good for low powered NAS, DIY routers, and media center boxes that just play or just record.
I have 3 with PCI-X slots. - Great for high-port HW RAID cards.
I also have several that support Yonah or laptop C2D.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-02-01, 22:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10519 of 52742, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Insofar as FSB support there is no difference between 855GM and 855GME.