VOGONS

SourceForge.net project ("Munt")

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 74, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Srecko: Thanks, I'll take a look into those when my MT-32 arrives for comparison.

Hunterz: Perhaps you need to enable "Mixed Adlib/MIDI" mode to hear the crashing sound - it might be Adlib-only. Please let me know if that works for you.

Regarding synchronising Munt and ScummVM: The code in ScummVM and Munt is almost identical, except for freeverb being reorganised and a couple of files being renamed. It's almost as easy as copy and commit to keep them in sync. Nevertheless, I'll be removing this shared code very soon and changing ScummVM to simply use the Munt link library for its built-in emulation.

Reply 21 of 74, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news on this!

I've unfortunately not got it to work 🙁 The only game I'm running at the moment with MT32 support is Leisure Suit Larry 6 (CD talkie edition).

I uninstalled the existing MT32 driver (canadacow's version). Installed 'Munt'. Configured the preferred MIDI device to be the MT32 Synth. Re-ran the Sierra installer, selected MT32 as the music device. Left VDMSound as General MIDI emulation.

Run up the game, and I get a 'start of a sound' then silence. Nothing from then on is played. If I reconfigure LSL to use a Soundblaster then I get the Sierra fanfare as I'd expect.

Anyone got any pointers for me or can I provide any diagnostic infomation?

Attachments

• Filename
    LSL6.LOG
    File size
    2.73 KiB
    Downloads
    306 downloads
    File comment
    VDMSound troubleshooting log fle.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KingGuppy: Thanks for the reply. Actually, I tried mixed mode too (with both "Windows MIDI" and "MT-32" music driver modes) just to be safe. I also have True Roland MT-32 mode enabled of course. All volumes are set to the default 192.

To be super-thorough, tested the game again in DOSBox with sound emulation set to false and sound blaster type set to none in dosbox.conf, and I could still hear the crashing sound - confirming that the win32 driver version of Munt is actually capable of making the sound.

Since you mentioned it, is there any disadvantage to having mixed adlib/midi mode always enabled?

Reply 23 of 74, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hunterz: Thanks for letting me know, I'll investigate that. This is the first time I've had someone complain about Munt *not* crashing 😀

There's no disadvantage in keeping "mixed Adlib/MIDI mode" enabled all the time, unless you want the authentic experience of having an MT-32 with no Adlib card 😀

Btw, you don't need "True Roland MT-32" enabled with the built-in emulator, it always considers this to be set. But there's of course no harm in it.

Reply 24 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reckless: have you tried using DOSBox as well? Recent versions are a lot better than the old days... Of course, I've upgraded my computer since then too 😉

Have you tested Munt with a native MIDI app? Try DXDiag if nothing else is handy.

If that doesn't work, then maybe your ROM files or your install is borked.

Reply 25 of 74, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried DXDiag and there's definitely a problem 😮 The test sound starts out 'reasonably' but then starts getting 'clipped' and distrorted. I can provide a recording if anyone's interested?

I've only got a lowly P3 1ghz (hence I don't use the MT32 version of DOSBox!) so perhaps I'm out of luck with this as well? My soundcard (if that makes any difference!) is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS with latest drivers.

Reply 26 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KingGuppy: I also forgot to mention that I using the latest official DOSBox release (0.63) and not a custom, CVS, MT-32 modded, etc. version.

Reckless: I feel your pain. My last system was a PIII-550 and I poo-pooed DOSBox when it was fairly new because my computer just couldn't hack it. It is possible that you don't have enough CPU power or RAM or something, but I'd be surprised (KingGuppy would be the one to comment on the system requirements of Munt though). The only thing I can think of to try at this point is to make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers for your system installed and that you aren't running any CPU, memory, or disk intensive apps.

Reply 32 of 74, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've noticed that IMHO strings sound worse in the 0.1.2 version of Munt. With what little I know about this stuff I'll try to explain what I mean by worse.

When a string instrument is played the first sound you hear for a very short time is a screeching sound when the bow starts to be drawn across the strings. In MIDI this coressponds AFAIK to the attack part.

My impression is, that the attack part dominates the string sound too strongly in the new version so you hear little else. Perhaps it is also another problem and its just my interpretation.

Reply 34 of 74, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see the problem. But since the strings were better in the previous release, I'm curious what you test the emulator with. That is, which games do you use? Do you still test mainly with ScummVM compatible games?

In the past, often the coder's preference for certain games seemed to direct the emualtor tuning in certain directions (no offense meant - it's simply hard to get it sound right).

Reply 36 of 74, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had more success with the latest release but there's still a lot of 'flutter' when I playback the DXDiag test sound. I've attached a recording of it in case it's of any value!

TIA!

Attachments

• Filename
    dxdiagtest.mp3
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Downloads
    367 downloads
    File comment
    DXDiag sound 'flutter' example.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 74, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any explanation why the emulation has gotten so demanding when turned into a driver? It seems to be much more demanding than Dosbox's Adlib emulation. Canadacow's Dosbox Mt-32 emulator implementation was always a bit less demanding than the Adlib emulation.

Interestingly, I get the same problems as Reckless when playing back Windows Midi but in Dosbox and ScummVM everything works fine.