Reply 101 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeltaK wrote:

Welcome home! 😁

Danke!

😜

Oh how I wish I could put the SPADKILLER into the game!!

The Naglo Quadruplane.......

4 wings
4 forward firing machine guns
260 hp Mercedes engine
137 mph at sea level!

Then, I would have a new name...........

STITCH.

😁

Reply 102 of 146, by vonOben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve tested the Glide Wrapper on my Voodoo 5500.
PIII-450
Omega driver v 1.02
No Anti Aliasing enabled.
1024x768.
Sun Glare off.
OpenGlid.ini 0.06b13

The main problem is the low frame rate. I’ve tried lowering the graphical settings but the frame rate is very low anyway. According to some test I’ve done with WinTune98 the Omega Drivers 1.02 are really bad in OpenGL 🙁. My old Voodoo3 had much better performance in OpenGL using 1.04 drivers. I don’t use OpenGL very much so I haven’t cared much about it earlier.

F1 view 10-18 FPS and when firing guns 5 FPS.
F5 view 10 FPS
I have also the same problem with blurry aircraft bitmaps as Hentzau mentioned and slightly blurry terrain, but the fog is working!
Occasionally there were some white dots on the screen.

RB3DGlidosWrapper.jpg

Running with the Glidos Wrapper, no sun glare.

RB3D3DFX.jpg

Running on my Voodoo 5500, sun glare enabled.

vonOben

Reply 103 of 146, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that's the fault of 3dfx's crappy drivers. You'll just have to upgrade your video card, I'm afraid. Don't fret, though, you can get some wicked GeForce3 Ti500s (what I have) for under $150.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 106 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Nono, the first one is running GliDOS on his Voodoo5 without sunglare. The second is running Glide natively on his Voodoo5 with sunglare.

I'm not confused about the sunglare, but I *AM* confused as to why you'd run the Wrapper if you have a Voodoo Card!!

The Voodoo Card is calling Glide........
The Wrapper is calling Glide.......

That's a problem just waiting to happen...........

Reply 107 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, I see. Well the blurring of textures is called mipmapping. Turn off the mipmapping in the OpenGLid.INI file and the blur will go away, I think.

The FPS is awful. I think maybe the paletted texture extension isn't supported. You can tell by looking at the OpenGLid.LOG file.
You mat be able to speed things up by enabling the IgnorePaletteChange option in the INI file.

Snover: I think, at some stage, I asked if people with Voodoo cards would do this comparisen.

Reply 110 of 146, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VonHelton wrote:

Delete the file called "Prop03.PAB" from ROTJ.
Your props will now show up normally!

What does that have to do with Red Baron? Make a new thread next time.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 111 of 146, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Paul,

Well, I flew the same mission several times (by the way, do you have any idea how mind numbing it is to fly the same exact mission some twenty-odd times? Ah well... all in the pursuit of science...) using the 9/22 version, the 9/27 version with sun glare on, and the 9/27 version with sun glare off. I used a graphically intense enviroment -- hi rez terrain, hi rez effects, hi rez custom paints on planes.

9/27 version with sun glare on: few terrain .bmp corruptions (8-10 tiles) prior to attacking ballon. After balloon in flames, many corrupted terrain .bmp tiles (50+) and some corrupted .bmp on planes. Number of corrupted .bmps is consistant with those produced when using a voodoo 5500 and no 2 meg. limit on texture memory.

9/27 version with sun glare off: no .bmp corruptions (terrain or aircraft) prior to balloon attack. After balloon in flames, many corrupted terrain .bmp tiles (50+) and some corrupted .bmp on planes.

9/22 version: no .bmp corruptions (terrain or aircraft) prior to balloon attack. After balloon in flames, occurance of .bmp corruption varied from mission to mission. On some missions there would be no corruption to terrain tiles, but one or two corrupt airplane .bmps. On other missions there might be a few corrupted terrain files (6-8) after the balloon was flamed, but no corrupt aircraft .bmps.

Again... this was using the same exact mission several times for each of the above versions. The only variable would be in athmospherics (clouds) or if the pilot was wounded and the 'red fade' graphic would occur. An interesting note: on at least one of my 9/22 version missions in which the pilot had been wounded and the 'red fade' graphic was in use there were no corrupted .bmps at all before or after the balloon was flamed.

In short, I don't know what the difference is exactly between V. 9/22 and V. 9/27, but the 9/22 wrapper appears to be a bit more resistant to triggering .bmp corruptions.

Hope this helps, and doesn't just confuse things.

😀

Reply 113 of 146, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VonHelton wrote:

Since ROTJ essentially replaces nearly everything in the game, it *IS* Red Baron.

😁

I thought you were talking about Return of the Jedi, like Nicht(?) did.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 114 of 146, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WilliVonBill wrote:

Hello Paul,

......................... I used a graphically intense enviroment -- hi rez terrain, hi rez effects, hi rez custom paints on planes...........

😀

During my tests with the 9/27 version I have realized that you can minimize graphic corruption close to zero, when you reduce the maximum size of all effects bmps and aphs (smoke, fire , explosios...) to a maximum size of 128x128 pixel. That does the trick even with "heavy" patchloads terrain,sky etc.....

Can't continue right know, as I am out of town for a week.

Can you try to reproduce it?

Reply 116 of 146, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeltaK wrote:

During my tests with the 9/27 version I have realized that you can minimize graphic corruption close to zero, when you reduce the maximum size of all effects bmps and aphs (smoke, fire , explosios...) to a maximum size of 128x128 pixel. That does the trick even with "heavy" patchloads terrain,sky etc.....

Can't continue right know, as I am out of town for a week.

Can you try to reproduce it?

I'll work on it this week. I've also eliminated graphic corruptions with the 9/27 wrapper by using Rabu's old 'half sized' four seasons patch and Flybert's 'uniform re-sized' PL flak. I was (am) also using the Western Front Patch UOP.

Apparently there really is more than one way to skin a cat....

I'll give it a go.

Reply 117 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Snover: I think, at some stage, I asked if people with Voodoo cards would do this comparisen.

Yep, you asked for glide card feedback in the Capt Royce "thank you thread". The fact that we have old cards and still want to play RB3D in glide in the future with new graphic cards is why we have such a keen interest.

I noticed Goldfinger listed voodoo cards in his survey so he might not understand that we aren't actually looking to use OpenGLide on our current voodoo cards.

You might want to make a seperate thread for "Testing RB3D with voodoo cards and Glide2x.dll" so it doesn't confuse everyone?

Reply 118 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hentzau wrote:

Yep, you asked for glide card feedback in the Capt Royce "thank you thread". The fact that we have old cards and still want to play RB3D in glide in the future with new graphic cards is why we have such a keen interest.

I thought I remembered something like that.

I noticed Goldfinger listed voodoo cards in his survey so he might not understand that we aren't actually looking to use OpenGLide on our current voodoo cards.

No, I think we do want the results for all cards. If nothing else, it is worth while, for the sake of Glidos, to have OpenGLide support voodoo cards. Glidos can make fixed 640x480 game run at 1280x1024, so Voodoo owners do use Glidos.

You might want to make a seperate thread for "Testing RB3D with voodoo cards and Glide2x.dll" so it doesn't confuse everyone?

I am permenantly confused. I'm used to it now. It is not a problem. 😀

Reply 119 of 146, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

I am permenantly confused. I'm used to it now. It is not a problem. 😀

Well, yeah. You need to administer this forum, dude! (hehe) I'm not gonna do it for you. (hehe^2) Encourage people to make new threads, 'n' junk.

Yes, it’s my fault.