VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10760 of 52680, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Double post, but I recently got a job lot of six laptops for £12 posted (thanks to a Nectar voucher). Two of them are Core Duo/C2D era ones, so probably of no interest here. However, these are the other ones:

Hu91xc2l.jpg
This is a Pico N340S8 - a rebadged Samsung VM8000 or something along those lines. No idea who Pico are, and can't really find anything on them on the web. It's fitted with a full desktop 1 GHz PIII Coppermine with a 133 MHz FSB, and a pretty standard SiS 630E chipset. It's missing the battery, but otherwise it works perfectly; I have ordered a replacement screen due to there being some thunderbugs inside it. The desktop PIII runs cooler in this laptop than the laptop equivalents did, as long as you don't block the fan underneath (although the fan does run constantly)! Something else worthy of note is the fact you can use Tulatin CPUs with this system if you find one of the slightly different Tulatin-spec coolers.

dU9K7aml.jpg
Compaq Evo N1015v; it has an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and an ATI/ALi chipset combination. The battery is dead but it otherwise seems to work fine; haven't set it up yet as I need the HDD caddy, otherwise the HDD flops out of its home dangerously.

lDItS55l.jpg
Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDX. It has a 166 MHz Pentium MMX CPU, but I have no idea about the chipset. It is missing a battery and HDD caddy (standard IDE connector seems to be built in at the back), and although it powers fine when no HDD is fitted, fitting one produces an orange blinking power light for some reason - any ideas?

z0XxXX9l.jpg
HP Omnibook 2000CT. I believe it uses a 133 MHz Pentium MMX CPU, but I've not yet tested it due to not having a charger with the correct polarity. It's missing the battery but is otherwise basically complete, bar the lack of a HDD (as for all of the systems).

Reply 10761 of 52680, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I just bought this motherboard with CPU for 17 euro with free shipping! 😀

Lets play name the motherboard!

fun_times.jpg

Hmm... I'm suspecting socket 4, maybe 5. Built in SCSI, Ethernet and PCI-X suggests server board. Very early ATX by the looks of it and SDRAM would also have been very new. Pipeline burst cache would also have been advanced for the time and the ISA slot is there for compatibility. These are Sun Microsystems levels of engineering right here! Would have been a very expensive system at the time. Is this a well-known board then? I'm wildly speculating.

Too new for socket 4 and certainly something odd, I know socket 4 well enough to know that they never had the use of 64 bit pci and sdram. If you look closely you can see there are some smd caps along the edge of the cpu just beneath the cooler...

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10762 of 52680, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I just bought this motherboard with CPU for 17 euro with free shipping! 😀

Lets play name the motherboard!

fun_times.jpg

Hmm... I'm suspecting socket 4, maybe 5. Built in SCSI, Ethernet and PCI-X suggests server board. Very early ATX by the looks of it and SDRAM would also have been very new. Pipeline burst cache would also have been advanced for the time and the ISA slot is there for compatibility. These are Sun Microsystems levels of engineering right here! Would have been a very expensive system at the time. Is this a well-known board then? I'm wildly speculating.

Too new for socket 4 and certainly something odd, I know socket 4 well enough to know that they never had the use of 64 bit pci and sdram. If you look closely you can see there are some smd caps along the edge of the cpu just beneath the cooler...

Those SMD caps are probably key to indentifying the board, or at least what type of CPU it uses. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10763 of 52680, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks as though this will be the heart of my DOS Web Server;
486isa.jpg

I wanted an excuse to put an ISA Only 486 together for a while despite having no major use for one and I've given up on EISA for a few more months when I will try again if I can be bothered. This should be a fairly straight forward build and might not even get a case. Tempted to try out that Weitek socket if I ever get a chance but probably never will because I would have no real use for it. Either way, it was a toss-up between this and a similar ASUS board (Which is still on eBay) but this one was cheaper and I have 8MB of RAM for it (The ASUS came with 8MB), it seems like a nice motherboard. The onboard IDE really sold it for me as I don't want to spend much money on this (Preferably less than £50 total) and I'm not actually sure the one Host Adapter I have left spare actually works properly. Not sure of the CPU speed, but I'd guess 25-33Mhz... Whatever, fast enough and not hard to replace with a DX2 if I do need more power for some reason. Power consumption should be pretty low as I plan on using a solid state storage solution; CF Cards.

I was going to use a 386SX for this purpose, but they actually cost more at the moment. I only looked at 486 boards on the off-chance I could find an ISA Only one cheap, indeed, they don't seem to have gone up as much as the PCI / VLB boards out there. Part of me thinks it would be more of a novelty to do this with a 386, but at the same time, 486 is my platform, so this is probably more fitting anyway.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10764 of 52680, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Those SMD caps are probably key to indentifying the board, or at least what type of CPU it uses. 😀

CPU is most likely DEC Alpha and your MB is very similar to this... http://www.diane-neisius.de/alpha_vax/index_E.html 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10765 of 52680, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

CPU is most likely DEC Alpha and your MB is very similar to this... http://www.diane-neisius.de/alpha_vax/index_E.html 😀

That is good enough! 😀 The board is a Samsung MB164UX/BX and the CPU is a DEC Alpha 533 MHz, probably a 21164 like the one pictured in your link.

The board is made for running Windows NT4 and Linux/Unix so it does not have a BIOS suitable for running more DEC Alpha specific OSes. This dosnt bother me at all, I will probably run NT4.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 10766 of 52680, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

The board is made for running Windows NT4 and Linux/Unix so it does not have a BIOS suitable for running more DEC Alpha specific OSes. This dosnt bother me at all, I will probably run NT4.

Who said it doesn't? If i remember well, firmware in these boards can change from AlphaBIOS (Microsoft ARC) to the more Unix-ish SRM console suitable to boot DEC OSF based stuff, on the fly. Is matter to read manual and play with board parameters.

----
I envy you guys who can play live with RISC stuff... Here in my country we have only x86 post-Pentium era stuff to play, and most of it is PCChips crap. From RISC stuff, ATX Alpha boards are best ones to play, as them are pretty flexible in configuration and devices them can accept, only followed by Motorola PowerStack boards in this aspect, but ofc in a more expensive presentation. This is due DEC wanting "white box" assemblers to make "white box" Alpha PCs at time when DEC was in a deep financial problem. With this board you can plug any Video Adapter and SCSI controller from that era, and the board will boot their ROMS and configure them using a built-in BIOS emulator bundled in firmware. OSs will use them to full, proving that your have alpha compiled drivers for your OS.

Reply 10767 of 52680, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyoenmadan wrote:
Who said it doesn't? If i remember well, firmware in these boards can change from AlphaBIOS (Microsoft ARC) to the more Unix-ish […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Who said it doesn't? If i remember well, firmware in these boards can change from AlphaBIOS (Microsoft ARC) to the more Unix-ish SRM console suitable to boot DEC OSF based stuff, on the fly. Is matter to read manual and play with board parameters.

----
I envy you guys who can play live with RISC stuff... Here in my country we have only x86 post-Pentium era stuff to play, and most of it is PCChips crap. From RISC stuff, ATX Alpha boards are best ones to play, as them are pretty flexible in configuration and devices them can accept, only followed by Motorola PowerStack boards in this aspect, but ofc in a more expensive presentation. This is due DEC wanting "white box" assemblers to make "white box" Alpha PCs at time when DEC was in a deep financial problem. With this board you can plug any Video Adapter and SCSI controller from that era, and the board will boot their ROMS and configure them using a built-in BIOS emulator bundled in firmware. OSs will use them to full, proving that your have alpha compiled drivers for your OS.

Well a BIOS probably exists but this board dosnt have it installed as the seller wrote in his ad that the board would only work with NT4 and Linux/Unix.

Alpha stuff is not rare in Sweden but not very common either.

Reply 10768 of 52680, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DSC_0298.JPG
Filename
DSC_0298.JPG
File size
2.59 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20160221_172809 (Andere).jpg
Filename
IMG_20160221_172809 (Andere).jpg
File size
199.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Build this Card today, James Pearce 2Mb EMS Board.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10769 of 52680, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wished I'd had one of those EMS boards in my 8MHz Wyse 286 in the early 1990s. I accidentally wiped out my 20MB MFM HDD once trying to create disk-based RAM in order to be able to hear the talking in the intro of the floppy version of X-Wing!

What kind of machine did you put it in?

Reply 10770 of 52680, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.dosforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9935
In this one, currently 😀

file.php?id=6169

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10771 of 52680, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
It looks as though this will be the heart of my DOS Web Server; <snip> […]
Show full quote

It looks as though this will be the heart of my DOS Web Server;
<snip>

I wanted an excuse to put an ISA Only 486 together for a while despite having no major use for one and I've given up on EISA for a few more months when I will try again if I can be bothered. This should be a fairly straight forward build and might not even get a case. Tempted to try out that Weitek socket if I ever get a chance but probably never will because I would have no real use for it. Either way, it was a toss-up between this and a similar ASUS board (Which is still on eBay) but this one was cheaper and I have 8MB of RAM for it (The ASUS came with 8MB), it seems like a nice motherboard. The onboard IDE really sold it for me as I don't want to spend much money on this (Preferably less than £50 total) and I'm not actually sure the one Host Adapter I have left spare actually works properly. Not sure of the CPU speed, but I'd guess 25-33Mhz... Whatever, fast enough and not hard to replace with a DX2 if I do need more power for some reason. Power consumption should be pretty low as I plan on using a solid state storage solution; CF Cards.

I was going to use a 386SX for this purpose, but they actually cost more at the moment. I only looked at 486 boards on the off-chance I could find an ISA Only one cheap, indeed, they don't seem to have gone up as much as the PCI / VLB boards out there. Part of me thinks it would be more of a novelty to do this with a 386, but at the same time, 486 is my platform, so this is probably more fitting anyway.

I wanted to use my 486-133 system for a server for a long time and toyed with it at one point for novelty's sake. I put debian linux on it, and even photo'd it and made a little "This machine is hosted by a 486 in 2016" website about it and had it running. But then one day I decided to put it in through a kill-a-watt and realized it was using nearly 175 watts just sitting there idle.

Which brought me to the realization that.. having to pay for our own power, I can't do this. If I needed something as a "server", a Pentium-III @ 1.2 ghz would do the same thing faster at roughly 40 watts with a modern gold tier atx power supply. OR a modern 1.7 ghz dual-cpu atom board would do the same thing at 18 watts.

Due to practical reasons... I wasn't able to keep it online.

Reply 10772 of 52680, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" :cool: :cool: […]
Show full quote

As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎

O90Zpe.jpg

Kinda hating on you right now... but it's a good-natured hate. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10773 of 52680, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Haha! Thanks! I think... 😉

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10774 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

It's the same kind of hate I feel when someone posts about having Google fiber.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10775 of 52680, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

It's the same kind of hate I feel when someone posts about having Google fiber.

OMG yes especially when I get packet loss and can't play world of tanks 😵
Amazing that I haven't smashed any keyboards yet. 😲

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10777 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kodai wrote:

Are you gonna water cool that bad boy?

DO IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ7I4mtujGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzAsyZvFrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENKEWrg76Y

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10778 of 52680, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" :cool: :cool: […]
Show full quote

As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎

O90Zpe.jpg
z7jCGi.jpg
NBgxjb.jpg

Wow! Now that's something you don't see very often. Congrats!! It's well worth selling your soul (or a kidney) for that thing. 🤣

I always wondered how loud that quad-fan cooling solution was...

One question: that connector next to the VGA output was originally planned to use an external power adapter right? Voodoo Volts:

voodoo_volts_02.JPG

Does any of the V5 6000 cards out there come with the external adapter? All the lucky owners of those cards I've seen seem to have that Molex thingy like yours...

Reply 10779 of 52680, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

I wanted to use my 486-133 system for a server for a long time and toyed with it at one point for novelty's sake. I put debian linux on it, and even photo'd it and made a little "This machine is hosted by a 486 in 2016" website about it and had it running. But then one day I decided to put it in through a kill-a-watt and realized it was using nearly 175 watts just sitting there idle.

Which brought me to the realization that.. having to pay for our own power, I can't do this. If I needed something as a "server", a Pentium-III @ 1.2 ghz would do the same thing faster at roughly 40 watts with a modern gold tier atx power supply. OR a modern 1.7 ghz dual-cpu atom board would do the same thing at 18 watts.

Due to practical reasons... I wasn't able to keep it online.

The Windows box running everything currently online is an Atom D330. I have no idea how much power it uses, but it doesn't seem to affect the bill very much, even with power management turned off for the hard drive, no idea how much a few planned upgrades to that machine are going to affect things though nothing major is expected. I just want a larger drive, a second drive and a new PSU.

So far as I know, the 486DX-33 (Which should be the chip in that board as AMI only spec 33MHz operation) uses less than 5 Watts. CF Cards are probably like 1 Watt if that, though I could be stupid and run the site from a CD-ROM just to see how much power that used. Due to the lack of a -5V pin on any of the cards I plan to install and the chances of the onboard devices never needing it (Unusual to have onboard stuff on a 1991 board) I actually planned to use a modern PSU. In fact, I was contemplating making a cable and feeding power over from the 450 Watt supply in the Atom, as the Atom needs nowhere close to what the PSU can give. Come to think of it, as I planned on changing the case for the Atom, I could probably invent some way to fit both boards in a single case... Not sure I'll bother with that, but the shared power is certainly a possibility as I don't trust my 20+ year old 150 Watt Akhter supply to run 24/7 unattended.

Chances are, I will just use my Demo rig's case for now and either replace the demo rig with an ATX board. Actually, a Pentium 233MMX seemed good enough for everything I use with the GUS, even on the incredibly slow Packard Bell I was using before the current Cyrix box, so I might merge that project with the TIme Colossus upgrade provided I can find a way to run the GUS and YM719/704 at the same time... I never had much luck with the whole multiple sound card thing, it always causes problems. If not then, well, I just have to find another AT case down the line, I inquired about one on AmiBay ages back but the mods never approved the post so fuck that idea, they obviously don't want my money over there and it's too late now as I have none left and plan to spend big on the Xeon and a DX7 before I do anything else.

On power consumption, I shall definitely have to measure that, but I really don't see the machine using a lot. I also do wonder if DOSIdle will have an effect while the server application is active, no idea as I am unsure how far its abilities extend off of the DOS command line. Honestly though, I still think I can get it down to 50 Watts, partly because the expected hardware roster is minimal;

AMI Series 39 (Baby Voyager) Motherboard
Intel 486DX-33 - was going to use Hooker's old DX CPU but it looks like the board comes with one, if not I won't really be mad as it wasn't advertised that way and I don't have a shortage of 486's.
8MB SIMM RAM - leftovers from other machines... Might be stuck at 4MB as most of my 1MB sticks are faulty and, sod's law, I only have 1MB sticks as the 386 uses all eight of the 4MB sticks and doesn't boot with only four.
1GB Compact Flash - I have one left that I never use because it's too small for everything I've needed one for.
Western Digital WDC90C00 VGA - Got this last year from another YouTuber because I knew an ISA Only machine was something I wanted to do.
Intel EtherExpress 16 LAN Card - Same as the above card.
1.44 MB Floppy - I'll never really use this past setting the system up unless my F5 key breaks off and I can't bypass starting the server.
Possibly a CD-ROM - only if I can find one working in my stack of drives. They started dropping like flies last year. Might have mismatched color/age for a while, but two machines are going over to SCSI this year. This isn't an important piece of hardware for it though as I plan to update the site via FTP, leaving the network card handling mass file transfers, so it isn't unlikely the drive will be left out entirely.

The cool thing is that the line is so slow, nobody will notice how slow the machine is. I could probably use an SX and then de-turbo it to save more power with no ill effects, wonder how much power the U5S uses? Might have to try that one. I expect power will spike during scheduled reboots.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)