VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1620 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Is the DirectX tab list influencing the Glide tab one? 😐

No. I mean that internal scaling is a global feature, affects both Glide and DX.
So, for Glide, you couldn't choose a scale-to-resolution because the resolution selector on Glide tab is working and has other meaning.
(and I'm planning to tie up DX resolution selector some day)

teleguy wrote:

Would it not be possible to read the current or native resolution from the registry?

Hmm, I don't know it yet. But Windows itself somehow knows what the native res is, as it has a 'recommended' resolution on its slider in the display settings.

ZellSF wrote:

Though ideally there'd be a choice between scaling options..

Ok, but normally, scaling is not performed by dgVoodoo.
In 'Centered' case there is no scaling at all.
In 'Stretched' case the scaling is done by the driver or the display output itself, cannot control that (but seems to be bilinear in all practical case).
In 'Stretched with AR' case, dgVoodoo emulates that bilinear filtering. But, this mode is not even recommended, if the driver supports ovverriding the scaling mode for applications, it's highly recommended to use that method instead of this.

I tried Diablo1 and found that it suffers from the same problem as O2Jam. The game places invisible windows over the main game window so watchdog thread of DXGI pushes it back to windowed mode at once all the time the game tries to switch into fullscreen.
It can only be played in windowed mode if option 'Disable Alt-Enter...' is disabled. 🙁

Reply 1621 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screwed color palette for fighters and some background sprites/objects (all moving graphics maybe?) in Variable Geo Custom. Not in the right mood to do screenshots now but you can easily understand what I'm talking about if you look on youtube for "variable geo custom".

No ddraw wrappers or new/old pcs I tried it on seem to correctly visualize them. (confused).

Last edited by Myloch on 2016-03-02, 23:03. Edited 1 time in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1622 of 3949, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got Bejeweled Twist working.

Indeed it can use D3D8 as well as D3D9 *and* D3D7.
Disassembled it to find why its not working. Seems the amount of VRAM is a problem (GTX970, so 4GB RAM). Tried simulating in dgVoodoo 2 under its D3D8 mode with 64MB, got a error message about drivers being out of date when trying the GeForce 4 profile. Running in DirectDraw mode on dgVoodoo 2 on the Geforce 4 profile in 64MB RAM fixed it. Seems indeed it supports Direct3D 7 for hardware acceleration, too.

For disassembling and running reasons, stripped out the EXE from its PopCap and Valve DRM vault. Haven't cracked it though. To run the game from Steam, had to place dgVoodoo 2 to where the unencrypted executable is extracted by PopCap's DRM.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1624 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Would it not be possible to read the current or native resolution from the registry?

Hmm, I don't know it yet. But Windows itself somehow knows what the native res is, as it has a 'recommended' resolution on its slider in the display settings.

I remember having to edit a large block of digits in the registry to add downsample resolutions. It's called the EDID section.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10073261/h … file-through-vb

Reply 1625 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Screwed color palette for fighters and some background sprites/objects (all moving graphics maybe?) in Variable Geo Custom. Not in the right mood to do screenshots now but you can easily understand what I'm talking about if you look on youtube for "variable geo custom".

No ddraw wrappers or new/old pcs I tried it on seem to correctly visualize them. (confused).

There was a thread about that, see

Re: V.G. Custom graphics corruption

mudlord wrote:

Got Bejeweled Twist working.

Indeed it can use D3D8 as well as D3D9 *and* D3D7.

Great!! How can it be controlled, that what API is to be used?

dx8gamer wrote:

Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe crashes when game starts.
(This is a free dx8 game, can download from http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/deluxe/download.php

Thanks for that!
Fixed it, now I finally had to add 24bit sw surface support to D3D8 too.

teleguy wrote:
Dege wrote:
teleguy wrote:

I remember having to edit a large block of digits in the registry to add downsample resolutions. It's called the EDID section.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10073261/h … file-through-vb

Thanks! Meanwhile I ditched DXGI and use legacy GDI to detect the current desktop resolution for a particular display output (it could be good in practice, I hope most of the people use the desktop at native resolution(s) ).
It seems to work fine now on my monitors. I'm going to share a new wip but I'm going to do a 'test campaign' before that. 😀
I fixed other bugs and new developments also brought in a few (e.g. CrocD3D was broken) and want to check the majority of the applications (Glide, DX, DX8, ohhhhh...) myself.

Reply 1626 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was just a Steam beta update that had to deal with compatibility with some of the Popcap games. I don't know if that'll fix Twist on 4gb+ VRAM configurations though. I don't own any Popcap Steam games to see if that is related. 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1627 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

BTW, I finished the mouse handling for aspect-ratio-scaling. I'd like to release a new version from the current state. I know, still there are known issues, as always, but I think a lot of fixings have accumulated worthing a new version, also, I don't have much time these days,...

It seems that it has a bug.
1. http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_dgbeta.7z
2. Run it using dgVoodoo renderer.
3. Choose 1920×1200 in the game graphics settings.
4. Start race.
5. As the result the image will be cropped at the top and at the bottom (to 1920×1080). At the top and at the bottom you will see black bars. HUD will be cropped.

1920×1080 doesn't have this problem.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1629 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, can you check the performance in UT2004? No rendering problems, only performance. I maxed the quality tweaking the ini, but 10 FPS is really too low 😁
No problem with similar settings in Republic Commando.....

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-03-05, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1631 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Dege, can you check the performance in UT2004? No rendering problems, only performance. I maxed the quality tweaking the ini, but 10 FPS is really too low 😁
No problem with similar settings in Republic Commando.....

I don't have the full game, only its demo, but...
Do you have a tweaked config file or sg like that?

---

I watched tons of my DX/DX8 and a few Glide demos (took a few hours... 😀 ),
tried (quick tested) all my DX/DX8 games (but NOT finished with Glide ones) and fixed some bugs I encountered.
Now I don't know of any regression bug (except one: Rally Masters menu background is corrupted because A8 texture format support
is been added. It should be played with the GeForce Ti 4800 preset because that one does not support that format).
Also, I fixed some DX8 bugs present so far (e.g. Desctruction Madness), added some new DX8 features (Hidden And Dangerous).

VEG wrote:
It seems that it has a bug. 1. http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_dgbeta.7z 2. Run it using dgVoodoo renderer. 3. Choose […]
Show full quote

It seems that it has a bug.
1. http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_dgbeta.7z
2. Run it using dgVoodoo renderer.
3. Choose 1920×1200 in the game graphics settings.
4. Start race.
5. As the result the image will be cropped at the top and at the bottom (to 1920×1080). At the top and at the bottom you will see black bars. HUD will be cropped.

I experienced that phenonema, now it should work properly.
The newest WIP:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP18.zip

I intend this one to be the next version in case of no serious problems.

Edit: I intend this state to be...

Reply 1633 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW, stretching now works as intended ! Here's a good 1080p Splinter Cell Versus in perfect 4:3 😁
The only problem now is the texture corruption due to on-fly (I think that's the culprit) resolution change (the game is set to 1280x960):
Great work Dege!

SCCT_Versus_2016_03_06_16_43_28_685.png

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-03-06, 16:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1636 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

For some reason, in Splinter Cell my game always goes windows as the shadows are messed up. Hm.

Tested now SC1 with WIP18 and projector (classic) shadows.....it's all right.
Maybe there's some problem with intro videos codec by your side.

About scaling/stretching to fullscreen with original AR.....it's working *ludicrously* well 😁, no matter the option set in Catalyst Settings ! It's awesome!
Now the only feature missing is the ability to disable the scaling filter for custom resolution with height identical to native height (for a 1920x1080 monitor -> 1440x1080 / 1728x1080), to avoid in those cases the unnecessary filtering.

Reply 1637 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
Tested now SC1 with WIP18 and projector (classic) shadows.....it's all right. Maybe there's some problem with intro videos codec […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

For some reason, in Splinter Cell my game always goes windows as the shadows are messed up. Hm.

Tested now SC1 with WIP18 and projector (classic) shadows.....it's all right.
Maybe there's some problem with intro videos codec by your side.

About scaling/stretching to fullscreen with original AR.....it's working *ludicrously* well 😁, no matter the option set in Catalyst Settings ! It's awesome!
Now the only feature missing is the ability to disable the scaling filter for custom resolution with height identical to native height (for a 1920x1080 monitor -> 1440x1080 / 1728x1080), to avoid in those cases the unnecessary filtering.

Well, without dgVoodoo the intro videos flicker. And using projector shadows also work fine, after using projector, the game still goes windowed at resolution changes. I'm also running a GTX 980 btw

Reply 1638 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

I added only 24 bit sw surface support and fixed a bug in the VS validator. None of them should affect UT2004.

Indeed.
UT 2004, 1920x1200 & maxed settings, the same spot on Albatross:
without dgV2 - 126 avg FPS
WIP17 & 18 - 32 avg FPS

And yes, scaling is better.
I forgot to mention that the main menu fixes corrupted textures in Mortyr:
https://vid.me/CFDC

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 1639 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:
Indeed. UT 2004, 1920x1200 & maxed settings, the same spot on Albatross: without dgV2 - 126 avg FPS WIP17 & 18 - 32 avg FPS […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

I added only 24 bit sw surface support and fixed a bug in the VS validator. None of them should affect UT2004.

Indeed.
UT 2004, 1920x1200 & maxed settings, the same spot on Albatross:
without dgV2 - 126 avg FPS
WIP17 & 18 - 32 avg FPS

And yes, scaling is better.
I forgot to mention that the main menu fixes corrupted textures in Mortyr:
https://vid.me/CFDC

1920x1200 is a monster resolution 😁

Can you tell me the spot (screenshot) so I can control?