VOGONS

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what is with this game and the Voodoo 3, but every time Direct3D and Glide are both available, the game seems to forcefully use Direct3D even when I try to use Glide. I don't want to use Direct3D because the framerate takes a nosedive compared to Glide, which only works if I use a Voodoo 3 driver that is designed for DirectX 7 or later and use the pack-in DirectX 6.1A Windows 98 SE comes with, which results in Glide being the only available option. In this instance, the game runs in Glide and holds a very smooth framerate, particularly when the CPU, an AMD K6-III+, is overclocked to 600MHz. In Direct3D, though, the performance is so God-awful, I might as well be playing the Nintendo 64 version in high resolution.

Is there some way to stop Rogue Squadron 3D from forcefully using Direct3D even though I set up the game to work in Glide? This is the single biggest annoyance with my K6-III+ build and I have yet to find a solution to this problem. Oh, and the Voodoo 3 I'm using is a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP.

EDIT: For now, the only method I found was to disable DirectDraw through DxDiag. Is there another alternative?

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 2 of 8, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the issue. The game is said to be working in Glide in the in-game video options, but to make sure, I set the Glide and Direct3D gamma levels differently, and sure enough, the game was running in Direct3D, not to mention, the absolutely horrible performance of the game. At the same time, the game behaved no differently regardless of whether I set up the game for Glide or Direct3D; the video output had the same gamma levels as it would in Direct3D and the performance was identical, i.e. crap. For now, I could just get away with disabling DirectDraw and enabling it again afterwards, but it is still somewhat annoying to have to do this constantly.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 3 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems weird that it would be running slow even in D3D- I play it in a Riva 128 just fine.
Not really a solution to your problem but maybe there's something up with the Voodoo to be that slow. There was also a patch released, not sure if it would help.

Reply 4 of 8, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did apply the 1.21 patch, but guess what? It made performance EVEN WORSE, and it's not just on this Voodoo 3 3000. I have two other Voodoo 3s, both the cheaper 2000 model and both AGP, which perform just as poorly with Direct3D. In fact, even a single Voodoo 2 with 12MB of RAM is sluggish in Direct3D, but in Glide, it runs quite nicely (not as smooth as the Voodoo 3 3000, but better than in Direct3D).

I should mention I have DirectX 9.0C installed on the computer.

Reply 6 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ace wrote:

I should mention I have DirectX 9.0C installed on the computer.

The newest version of DX I install on my retro machines is DX 8.1 - I find installing DX9 on a 3dfx / windows 98 machine can cause a lot of performance / compatibility problems. As such, if a machine uses Voodoo 2 cards I limit it to DirectX 7. If I use a Voodoo 3 / 4 or an nvidia geforce / ati radeon card I install DX 8.1. Did the same thing with my Tualatin / FX5700 / Voodoo 2 SLi build - even if the video card supports DX9, I will not be playing any DX9 game on it under win98 (I dual boot XP for that) so I have no need for it, and DX9 seems to mess with the Voodoo cards in such a way that they only work in glide or only the FX 5700 is detected...

Reply 7 of 8, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have DirectX 8.1, but I do have DirectX 8.0 since there was a time when I would run Windows 95 on my retro builds and Windows 95 doesn't work with any newer DirectX version than 8.0. Is it possible to immediately downgrade to DirectX 8.0/8.1 or do I have to reinstall Windows to do that?

Reply 8 of 8, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay this might be 3 years late, but I spend the evening trying to get this working.
I have a voodoo 3000.
I have the crash after you try to start the game from the menus.

The only fix I have found for this is to simply open dxdiag.exe up.
AND DISABLE directdraw.
It's that simple!
Working great now running in 1024x768

https://ibb.co/1KH6FJd

https://ibb.co/QMPL9cd

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP