VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I actually switched to the first old Audigy installing only the driver package. I am testing with two different headphones, a Sennheiser HD219 and another Philips SHL5605GY both seems quiet good compared to other I had. Sound from the card is clear and deep even if I thought a bit more powerful. Could it be some capacitors to change?

Reply 41 of 45, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I use Audigy 1 and AWE 32 under MS DOS. Does work PC speaker header on Audigy 1? I did not hear a sound. Any experiances. There is no problem with AWE32. Thank you.

Reply 42 of 45, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:

I thought Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro was the last card compatible with 9x and requires 98SE. Even then under 98SE the drivers are a headache not so bad with ME it uses the unified driver for Win 2K.
I would chose the MX300 or a Yamaha XG over a Audigy any day when running Win 9x

Wich Creative's model you think as best for Win 9x?

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 43 of 45, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tertz wrote:
stuvize wrote:

I thought Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro was the last card compatible with 9x and requires 98SE. Even then under 98SE the drivers are a headache not so bad with ME it uses the unified driver for Win 2K.
I would chose the MX300 or a Yamaha XG over a Audigy any day when running Win 9x

Wich Creative's model you think as best for Win 9x?

I have only used 2 Audigy models under Win9x a series 1 low profile Audigy can't remember the SB# gave it to my brother in-law about 6 years ago checked images on Google looked like a Audigy SE SB:0570. Win9x drivers worked fine (never tried with ME) didn't really think it sounded any better than the MX300 I had and the MX300 came with DOS support built into the driver package, didn't know at the time about the tools to get DOS support with Live/Audigy cards.

Other card I have tried is the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro SB:0360 the 2 part Win9x drivers aren't horrible they do work but if you want to use the machine for media like DVDs and gaming you will be switching back and forth between VXD and WMD drivers and they both have limitations. The card sounds really good though especially through the optical output so there is incentive to use this card but the main reason I tend to not use Audigy cards for Win9x is because I don't own any games that use EAX that won't run under Win ME, 2000, or XP. This card under Win ME is a totally different story it uses the Win 2K driver and I haven't run into any major problems except mixer seems stuck at default settings and you can't adjust it (haven't tried recording) but its not that bad just have to turn the speakers/amplifier up more, Creative recommends leaving mixer at default settings anyways

One thing that is fun with cards like the MX300 or Sound Blaster 5.1 is to use 2 pairs of desktop computer speakers and set them up quadraphonic get surround sound without a multichannel amplifier 🤣, you would be surprised how many older games support multichannel surround sound at least in a 4/4.1 setup not as many do 5/5.1

Reply 44 of 45, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:

Other card I have tried is the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro SB:0360 the 2 part Win9x drivers aren't horrible they do work but if you want to use the machine for media like DVDs and gaming you will be switching back and forth between VXD and WMD drivers and they both have limitations.

Would be interesting to know how is the situation with drivers on ordinary Audigy 2 (as they have removed AC97 on ZS). And how it is with previous Audigy 1 and older cards.
May be someone will add info about this and what Creative card may be thought as best for Win9x.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 45 of 45, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

another factor is if you want backwards compatibility with OPL3. if that's what you want, there was a budget rerelease of the sb16 called sb16 wave effects, which is just the standard sb16 with wavesynth included in addation to the fm synth.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ