VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know they're aggressive about Windows 10 but this is absolutely retarded and appalling.

If you search on their website for downloads eons ago, like dxwebsetup.exe and the like. It shows up in the results, the description properly shows but when you click on the link it just takes you to "Download Windows 10 ISO" page.

Are there any legal archives of M$'s downloads? Because getting native DLL's for Windows is starting to get impossible with this corporate BS going on.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 35, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uh I searched Google for dxwebsetup and got a download for dxwebsetup from Microsoft...

Maybe not use Microsoft's internal search tools to find stuff on their site. Before you know it you'll be using Bing.

Reply 2 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just searched using MS's downloads site and got normal results. There were a couple of ads for 10, but nothing listed in the downloads themselves. This was with FF.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not what I'm getting, even when I google search for dxwebsetup I get redirected to a Windows 10 download despite even Google's return result lists something else. Microsofts website is doing the same thing.

There's also alot of link rot for obtaining older MFC libraries and what not that I'm running into currently.

So what's going on? Is it because my family has a Windows 10 machine talking to Microsoft's servers? Or am I seriously doing something wrong?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 35, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can confirm this is now happening. If you follow links in their own search results or hotlists, you get redirected to exactly what the OP described. Here's the link you follow for dxwebsetup:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

I was able to get to it with a direct link to the download confirmation page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/conf … .aspx%3Fid%3D35

This is some crooked shit going down.

Reply 5 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I even get these download redirects on a system RUNNING WINDOWS 10...

What the hell is going on?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 35, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been having this exact same problem for several weeks now.

Like duralisis posted, this results in a "Windows 10 ISO" page -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 , yet this goes directly to the download page -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/conf … .aspx%3Fid%3D35 .

Hey, Mickey$oft MORONS... I do NOT want a WinDoZe 10 ISO OR WinDoZe 10! Also, I do NOT want WinDoZe Vista -thru- 8, OR THE LIKE screwing up my PERFECTLY WORKING Windows XP Pro PC!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 7 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if the maintainer for winetricks is aware of this débâcle.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 35, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is Microsoft really that desperate to make people use Windows 10? 🤣 Yeah, I knew MS has done questionable things in the past, but this is getting ridiculous! 🤣

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 35, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed some time ago that download link for exFAT driver for XP doesn't work anymore.

Always remember to stash all your downloads of patches and updates. They (MS) can't be trusted.

Reply 11 of 35, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:

I've noticed some time ago that download link for exFAT driver for XP doesn't work anymore.

Always remember to stash all your downloads of patches and updates. They (MS) can't be trusted.

They've publicly stated and given several advance warnings that XP is not going to be supported any longer.

Them not offering XP downloads any longer is far from a trust violation (though I can think of lots of stuff Microsoft has done that is).

DracoNihil wrote:

I even get these download redirects on a system RUNNING WINDOWS 10...

What the hell is going on?

It's probably just a bug. Microsoft's web pages not working properly doesn't exactly shock me.

Reply 13 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like www.oldapps.com for some of these hard-to-find downloads, though they only go up to directx 9.0c it looks like.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 35, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In before the "Get with the times!!" contingent brings forth the argument that this is good and desirable, and that anyone not slurping up the Win10 download instead of their desired file is a hysterical, tinfoil-hat luddite. Make it a good one. I know you can. 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 35, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did some looking into this. Most downloads still work fine. The ones which take users to a Windows 10 download page seem to be redundant downloads in some way or related to web installers which may or may not work anymore. "dxwebsetup.exe" for instance cannot be downloaded as "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" as it will just take you to the Windows 10 download page, however, "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime" still works and is an older 9.0c archive meant only to work up to Windows XP. The EXACT same stuff normally downloaded by the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" when run can still be downloaded as "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" as a complete package instead, making the not working "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" trivial and pointless.

So... for the moment, as annoying as it is that Microsoft is just taking users straight to Windows 10 downloads instead of actually explaining WHY their requested download has been replaced as such, most of the working files you'd want are still there in some way, you just gotta dig a little deeper.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 16 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

It's probably just a bug. Microsoft's web pages not working properly doesn't exactly shock me.

It's intentional and it's been like that for months.

Given that some links exhibit the behaviour, and others do not, it seems more plausible that something isn't working as expected.

If it was intentional, it wouldn't be so sporadic and inconsistent.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 18 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would this thread get locked? I simply want to know why I can't find downloads to important stuff like old Visual Studio redistributables, dxwebsetup, mfc, etc. Somebody had already demonstrated something promising, but I still think there should be some archival process going since I think Microsoft is really trying to ditch their old releases hardcore now, given the behaviour of their website I'm noticing right now.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 19 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

In before loyal to Microsoft moderators lock this thread up. Didn't you guys know that It's not allowed to even mention Windows 10 on Vogons.

Threads don't get locked for being about Windows 10. They get locked because they degenerate in to conjecture, name-calling and accusations of impropriety or disingenuousness.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread