IMG_0038.JPG
Filename
IMG_0038.JPG
File size
2.45 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have a NEC PowerMate 386 that could make use of the 8MB RAM card.

IMG_0039.JPG
Filename
IMG_0039.JPG
File size
2.41 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0041.JPG
Filename
IMG_0041.JPG
File size
2.23 MiB
Views
File license

Owner threw in the Bus mouse w/ the Wonder +

Reply 11224 of 52693, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
Got myself a boxed SCP-55, my first item of Roland gear. Plugged it into Libretto 50CT and started Doom. I only have two words t […]
Show full quote

Got myself a boxed SCP-55, my first item of Roland gear. Plugged it into Libretto 50CT and started Doom. I only have two words to describe it: holy sh*t!!!
P1070166.JPG

Now I need to find a way to mix YMF715 output with SCP-55 to hear both sound effects and music simultaneously.
P.S. Man, this card is so hot...

Great combo. Would love to own a libretto.

Reply 11226 of 52693, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just over a week ago, something (a selection of certain hardware) appeared that i have wanted for a while but never thought I'd get hold of, to make matters worse I was flat broke. Annoyingly, the price was also lower than the others I have seen appear and I expected it would be gone by the time I could even think about inquiring about it. Apparently not, so thinking this may well be my last chance to get my hands on one and having deemed the price as decent, all things considered, I nabbed it but...

YDqhq-5TWZAa.JPG

...I am not ready to disclose what I have bought just yet. I am pretty certain one or two people here might know and I am sure others will be able to figure it out.

One thing I am willing to disclose is that I almost got hold of a Chips 386 around a month ago, but one of the pins was broken so I had to turn it down as I couldn't guarantee it would work. On the other hand, I think what I have gotten hold of today will probably be more fun to play with in the long run. Sadly though, it probably won't do much more than live in a box for quite some time because I don't have a case or anything for it, I just shuffled my last AT case around for use with that puny 486DX-33 machine (Actually, not at all puny) and I don't have a host adapter, I do have an Ethernet left though. We'll see what happens, I might be able to track down a cheap machine to butcher as I am sure somebody around here (as in, someone local) must have a Pentium 166 or something that they don't want - I am increasingly thinking a lot of people never got rid of them as they crop up from time to time. Alternately, I do have an AT case that has no cover, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to cut, fold and drill some sheet metal and make a new one and I know someone who practically does this for a living so I might be able to get their help... You can probably tell I'm a bit excited about this thing.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11227 of 52693, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:

I believe the SYXG50 was a software XG midi synthesizer. It was included with Final Fantasy 7 for PC and was actually pretty sweet...

Aha! I just realized that the driver CDs for both motherboards I got actually come with this software, which would explain why the COA from Yamaha can be found in both manuals.

Pretty neat!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11228 of 52693, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice haul Formulator! Nice artwork on the Paradise VGA card... and great to have Indiana Jones as a bonus! I also like the generic user manuals that they would make back in the day - grey cover with a window, and punched booklet so that you could file it probably?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 11229 of 52693, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:
Just over a week ago, something (a selection of certain hardware) appeared that i have wanted for a while but never thought I'd […]
Show full quote

Just over a week ago, something (a selection of certain hardware) appeared that i have wanted for a while but never thought I'd get hold of, to make matters worse I was flat broke. Annoyingly, the price was also lower than the others I have seen appear and I expected it would be gone by the time I could even think about inquiring about it. Apparently not, so thinking this may well be my last chance to get my hands on one and having deemed the price as decent, all things considered, I nabbed it but...

YDqhq-5TWZAa.JPG

...I am not ready to disclose what I have bought just yet. I am pretty certain one or two people here might know and I am sure others will be able to figure it out.

One thing I am willing to disclose is that I almost got hold of a Chips 386 around a month ago, but one of the pins was broken so I had to turn it down as I couldn't guarantee it would work. On the other hand, I think what I have gotten hold of today will probably be more fun to play with in the long run. Sadly though, it probably won't do much more than live in a box for quite some time because I don't have a case or anything for it, I just shuffled my last AT case around for use with that puny 486DX-33 machine (Actually, not at all puny) and I don't have a host adapter, I do have an Ethernet left though. We'll see what happens, I might be able to track down a cheap machine to butcher as I am sure somebody around here (as in, someone local) must have a Pentium 166 or something that they don't want - I am increasingly thinking a lot of people never got rid of them as they crop up from time to time. Alternately, I do have an AT case that has no cover, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to cut, fold and drill some sheet metal and make a new one and I know someone who practically does this for a living so I might be able to get their help... You can probably tell I'm a bit excited about this thing.

Well.... You got my attention there sir. Mmmm... Have no clue on to what hardware you got a hold on.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11230 of 52693, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3DFX Schwag! 😎

Been grabbing some 3DFX-related items over the last few weeks. A buddy of mine hooked me up with some 'must-have' items since I purchased the V5-6K. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fire up the Epox board + new PSU + AMD 3000 XP + V5-6000 next week. I plan on making a new thread dedicated to it with all the benchies and pix.
wX4u7j.jpg
Lqd8zk.jpg
FJxVqB.jpg
JrbrGt.jpg
xOnrsh.jpg
NPjWGa.jpg
oWYjDx.jpg
SUbfOr.jpg
ntX9Wr.jpg
FvdTbT.jpg
7v5pF6.jpg
OworOi.jpg
GOQsXp.jpg
LWMalE.jpg
hcAKa0.jpg
h2lxPy.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11231 of 52693, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
http://s1.tufotki.pl/2016/03/17/YDqhq-5TWZAa.JPG […]
Show full quote

YDqhq-5TWZAa.JPG

...I am not ready to disclose what I have bought just yet. I am pretty certain one or two people here might know and I am sure others will be able to figure it out

Did you get yourself a NexGen board?
8vSZl.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11233 of 52693, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

3DFX Schwag! 😎

My hat! Got one back in the day when I worked computer sales/service. Mine is very well worn and loved tho 😀

Hm, kinda need a deck of those playing cards... 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11234 of 52693, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

...I am not ready to disclose what I have bought just yet. I am pretty certain one or two people here might know and I am sure others will be able to figure it out

Did you get yourself a NexGen board?

Nice find...

It was my guess too - 6x 72pin SIMMs and no PCI slots.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11235 of 52693, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... It could have been a PPro with a weird slot layout, a lot of those had six SIMM slots.

But no, it is indeed an Nx586, a Rev C version of the board Vetz posted. It comes with an Nx586-P90 processor and 8MB of RAM - I'll probably try and add another 8MB - obviously, no FPU and I was a bit put off by that initially before I figured I'd never use that anyway so it didn't matter. I guess I could always keep an eye of for the P100F version, but honestly, I don't think it matters. Video card will probably be my VLB Trio 64 card as I don't have anything else to use it in and don't plan to build any more VL-Bus systems... In fact, unless an EISA board shows up cheap that's probably it for these things. That was actually what I was aiming for out of the few, more obscure, things I don't own but would like to, then this Nx came up and it was just too good to miss. I was just starting to think how I'd done so well to not need cards and cases, how it had all worked out and I needed no more boards - remaining components, like the MP6 or Oasys, would fit in boards I already owned - and then this had to come along and undo that. Oh, well, that's the price you pay I suppose, I'm sure it will be worth it. Supposedly the board works aside from a dead battery, so unless it gets trashed in shipping it should be pretty much good to go right out of the box.

Are there any heatsinks that fit these? Like, would those Socket 7 ones with the offset wire clips fit or am I going to have to glue one onto it?

In a way, it almost sucks that I'm running out of x86 stuff to get my grubby hands on, definitely starting to think I'll have to start playing with Apples or something towards the end of the year.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11236 of 52693, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

3DFX Schwag! 😎

Been grabbing some 3DFX-related items over the last few weeks. A buddy of mine hooked me up with some 'must-have' items since I purchased the V5-6K. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fire up the Epox board + new PSU + AMD 3000 XP + V5-6000 next week. I plan on making a new thread dedicated to it with all the benchies and pix.

Wow, I just love those mouse pads! Perfect in the retro corner! And if you don't want to use them as intended, they'd look great framed and hung on the wall 😀

Out of curiosity, the Athlon XP CPU seems to be seated in a loose socket. Is it some kind of adapter, or just a plain socket to protect the pins?

Reply 11237 of 52693, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
Well... It could have been a PPro with a weird slot layout, a lot of those had six SIMM slots. […]
Show full quote

Well... It could have been a PPro with a weird slot layout, a lot of those had six SIMM slots.

But no, it is indeed an Nx586, a Rev C version of the board Vetz posted. It comes with an Nx586-P90 processor and 8MB of RAM - I'll probably try and add another 8MB - obviously, no FPU and I was a bit put off by that initially before I figured I'd never use that anyway so it didn't matter. I guess I could always keep an eye of for the P100F version, but honestly, I don't think it matters. Video card will probably be my VLB Trio 64 card as I don't have anything else to use it in and don't plan to build any more VL-Bus systems... In fact, unless an EISA board shows up cheap that's probably it for these things. That was actually what I was aiming for out of the few, more obscure, things I don't own but would like to, then this Nx came up and it was just too good to miss. I was just starting to think how I'd done so well to not need cards and cases, how it had all worked out and I needed no more boards - remaining components, like the MP6 or Oasys, would fit in boards I already owned - and then this had to come along and undo that. Oh, well, that's the price you pay I suppose, I'm sure it will be worth it. Supposedly the board works aside from a dead battery, so unless it gets trashed in shipping it should be pretty much good to go right out of the box.

Are there any heatsinks that fit these? Like, would those Socket 7 ones with the offset wire clips fit or am I going to have to glue one onto it?

In a way, it almost sucks that I'm running out of x86 stuff to get my grubby hands on, definitely starting to think I'll have to start playing with Apples or something towards the end of the year.

Socket A/462 retainer clips are designed for three hooks on each side of the socket. Might work with the two hooks on that socket too, at least if the sockets aren't too far from each other in width 😀

Reply 11239 of 52693, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
Well... It could have been a PPro with a weird slot layout, a lot of those had six SIMM slots. […]
Show full quote

That is an awesome find buddy!! I always wanted one of these, will look forward to seeing how you get on with it, hoping for lots of YT vids 😀

Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME