VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 46, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You only need a subscription for multiplayer games. Most good multiplayer games have PC versions.

All the good single player experiences you can only find on PS4, Wii U and Xbone are still very much something to look into if you think all games released today are the same.

Reply 22 of 46, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What an interesting thread! Maybe you should have checked the offer before you bought an gtx980ti... I cannot imagine spending around 700$ on a video card and not having a game in mind. I think gta 5 was a very well done game and I like it alot. Currently I'm also playing xcom enemy withing and doomsday (snowberry and libdoom remake) which are remake of old game, so I dont know if it count as new games.

As some says, now that I'm 36 I prefer to work on my home rather than to play a video game. What I despise the most is new FPS in single player. The more it goes the more it look like watching a movie and sometime having to take a decision. I'm even wondering if it's what they mean in that movie "children of men" when there is a part that look like a video game. My fun in those kind of video game is to try to advance in the path without triggering the scene and see how it hang the game...

Reply 24 of 46, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally I think gaming is getting better for each year. We've never had more diversity from indy titles to AAA ones. I really enjoy modern games.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 25 of 46, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm 23 going on 24 and I feel the same way as a lot of you here. Seriously, the AAA mainstream scene has gone down the toilet if you ask me. I know I am getting older but even then, there must be something wrong when a guy my age is having issues with the industry as of late that is more than perfect for the demographics.

Reply 26 of 46, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Nowdays a good game demands pretty huge amounts of money to develop and from what I can see devs prefer to do their innovation in console territory

A bulk of sequels and remastered editions (besides multiplatform) among your best console games gives much doubt in special and good situation with innovations on consoles. 😀 Or by some reasons you prefer to hide names of those good innovative console games, what makes hard to decide about degree of their innovation, quality and interest.

ZellSF wrote:

You only need a subscription for multiplayer games. Most good multiplayer games have PC versions.
All the good single player experiences you can only find on PS4, Wii U and Xbone are still very much something to look into if you think all games released today are the same.

Would be nice if you'll name good today multiplayer and console games. What I saw is boring and stupid there, and in much degree repeats what was previously.
And according your words you think all multiplatform games are not good. As most popular games are such, hence you agree that most noticable today games are bad.

Malik wrote:

And I see that game companies are chasing after graphics tech...pushing the limits of graphics and CPUs...

It's true for consoles. PCs get almost identical ports. So real today "limits" are technologically somewhere near the beginning of the decade and not too far from mid 2000s. These ports give you a little sharper image on gtx980 than a console may show, but the game looks same in essence and plays same.

Just that new games can't hold my interest anymore.

Besides changes in perception due to age (main reason), gaming experience (leading to deja vu) and missing nostalgy effects in new games, there is a lack of innovations in today gaming. One of reasons - there is no significant progress in computer technology from mid 2000s. The other one - the dudes with big money wich control today gaming world don't like innovations really, they just like money and selling same under new titles gives most profit. Reducing of creativity and quality may happen also, as developers have no love to games. It's like when you write music for money, not because you like music.

I just hope companies stop chasing after utilizing the next generation graphics capabilities and focus on the f****ing gameplay.

Until kids buy it and bribed press praise it, there will no be place for better.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 27 of 46, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:

And according your words you think all multiplatform games are not good. As most popular games are such, hence you agree that most noticable today games are bad.

I didn't write that most popular games today are bad anywhere. I didn't write that most multiplatform games are bad anywhere. You might want to work on your reading comprehension before shoving words in my mouth.

Tertz wrote:

Would be nice if you'll name good today multiplayer and console games. What I saw is boring and stupid there, and in much degree repeats what was previously.

I can't really recommend games to you, I don't know what you like. But if you can go through all games released recently and not find a single thing appealing, that really shows how narrow your taste is, not how bad gaming has gotten.

Tertz wrote:

here is a lack of innovations in today gaming

You should remember that when you think of "the old days" you might be thinking of a much larger time range than you are when you are thinking of "today".

Reply 28 of 46, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s easy to slip on the rose coloured glasses when glancing in the rear view mirror, but often gaming “back in the day” was an expensive exercise in frustration. Incompatibilities and constantly being behind the times hardware wise was the name of the game. Consoles “holding PC games back” in terms of system requirements was a win in my mind. I’m happy to align with console upgrade cycles.

Today we have GOG, Steam, eBay, and relatively cheap / stable hardware that can run it all. And with VR / hololens around the corner, it’s the current / future that looks rosy in my mind.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 29 of 46, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they just like money and selling same under new titles gives most profit. Reducing of creativity and quality may happen also, as developers have no love to games. It's like when you write music for money, not because you like music.

People have been saying this dumb shit since Doom came out. Remember when everything was a Doom clone? That was certainly "back in the day", but we conveniently overlook that for argument's sake right? 😉

Of course big studios play it safe. Big players in nearly every industry play it safe. Hollywood has been churning out something like 5 cookie-cutter superhero movies every year since the 90s. Does that mean that nobody loves making movies anymore? Of course not.

There are squillions of movies made around the world, every year. Just because you don't see them advertised on the side of a bus, doesn't mean they aren't being made.

Likewise with games, just because you only see ads for Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, etc, doesn't mean there aren't people out there working their guts out on new and exciting things. People that really love games.

But let's just be grumpy because of those damn kids on our lawns, eh?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 30 of 46, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frankly there's so many games out these days by indie, A, AA and AAA studios it's just hard to find the good stuff among the fluff. It's out there though.

I'm a die hard Fallout fan, and while Fallout 4 is decidedly not a good *Fallout* game, it's still a good game. I don't see myself drawn into it for years like the previous titles however.

I can't say enough good things about The Talos Principle, but I like solving problems. CroTeam paying attention to providing needed PC settings and options especially for people who have some form of motion sickness is something I can't give enough praise for awell.

Alien Isolation while having an annoying save system, is a fantastic game so I can overlook that.

I love all my old games too, but that doesn't stop me from finding things which are new that are good games and very enjoyable. That golden game might come along when you least expect it.

Reply 31 of 46, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep I agree, the new games lost the playability (PC) But I have to say that some of the PS4 games are still pretty amazing - Uncharted series, Last of US, Heavy Rain, Beyond two souls etc.
On the PC I'm still playing Banished, Terraria, sometimes Minecraft or right now Samorost 3 which is really beauty.

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 32 of 46, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While there are ebbs and flows to my interest level, it never completely goes away. I find that if I'm bored with the status quo, it is time to try something different. There are so many facets to gaming, and so many options, that if you are bored, you really didn't look hard enough.

I find that switching to online after long bouts of single player is a good pallet cleanser. Find some people to talk in person about games with also helps. Feed off of their enthusiasm to refuel your own.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 33 of 46, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I'm in the mood for single player games, nothing beats the older titles. Something changed in the early 2000's when it came to single player action games and RPG's and I just have a hard time enjoying most of the newer single player games. When it comes to multiplayer games, I'm all over the modern games with friends I've had for over 20 years. Playing online gives us a chance to stay in touch and still enjoy video games together. I have never been able to enjoy the vast majority of modern online games with strangers. There are some exceptions, but they are far and few between. Things like Marvel Heroes is fun with friends or by myself (I mean, its kinda hard to screw up a Diablo style game), but something like Tom Clancy's The Division is only fun to me when I play with friends.

Reply 34 of 46, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, if it wasn't for the nostalgia/novelty/originality factor of old games they would not hold a candle to new ones.
My biggest issue with new games is "been there - done that" too many times.

Reply 35 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nostalgia can be very powerful. I know it biases me big-time against new titles. I'm sure if I gave some new titles a chance, I'd fall just as much in love with them, but I only have so many hours in a day, and I choose my free time to be spent on retro games. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 36 of 46, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only modern PC game I play is World of tanks, and that is mostly a social thing with friends. It drives me crazy most of the time!!! Look me up if any of u folk play, user name is "CyrixInstead".

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 37 of 46, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

The only modern PC game I play is World of tanks, and that is mostly a social thing with friends. It drives me crazy most of the time!!! Look me up if any of u folk play, user name is "CyrixInstead".

I'll add you when i get home from work. My user K1Tech.

I enjoy WoT, been playin my Grille a lot (skycancer).

My Luchs us on its 3rd crew skill. Tiger II on 2nd. Grille on 2nd.

Luchs, Grille, and Tiger II are probably my most played.

Far as this thread goes. Fallout 4 really got my attention for a while but, like Skyrim, I got so far in and everything got kind of repetitive and I lost intetest. Dishonored was another favorite, story line wasn't bad but, the stealth gameplay is what pulled me in. I'm excited for Dishonored 2

Reply 38 of 46, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good point about the hardware and compatibility. My current PC isn't fully able to run the latest and greatest. So playing older games maxed out is a bonus. I'm holding out for polaris and Pascal this year. I think the unified memory of the consoles is a bit of a challenge with older PCs.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 39 of 46, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have not gotten any of the current consoles, and at this rate I probably wont , any modern game I want to play is also available on the PC. It used to be the case that console games were different in style from what was typically available on PC, which isn't really the case any more, along with the fact that consoles are have acquired some of the more annoying elements from the PC (long installs, constant patches, configuration) while ironically PCs have become more like consoles in terms of ease of use. When the line is blurred that much , I may as well go for the platform that typically has better graphics and game play.

and yes I find I play more old games than new , maybe its the style of many games today, but given the heavy influence COD (not a franchise I enjoy) has had on gaming in general , and the shooter genre in particular, that may be why.