VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1740 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Populous the Beginning is acting different in 2.51 in a weird way.

With 2.45 you had to force a refresh rate or it would run out of video memory when doing resolution changes.

2.51 still has that problem, but now forcing refresh rates really screws up the resolution. It seems to use the resolution you select, downsampled to a 640x480 window.

With Aspect Ratio emulation it works, but this breaks post-process AA (driver or reshade based), so somehow dgVoodoo2 seems to be misinterpreting the game's mode changes.

Reply 1743 of 3949, by Glurak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Diablo 2 problems are now solved by Blizzard itself, with 1.14a patch 😁

Tahts not really the case glide has more bugs now than before )you can use wrapper with the command line -3dfx

the sven wrapper works fine again with a new hotfix but blizzard will give more fixes for glide soon.

But i would be very happy when dgvoodoo would work with DIablo 2

Reply 1744 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VEG wrote:

It will be very nice to have an ability to have clear and sharp fonts in the old NFS games with D3D renderers. It will be ok even when this option will be accessible only using a HEX editor with the current binary format of the dgVoodoo configuration files =)

Should I bring back the concept of 'hidden options' present in dgVoodoo1? 😀
It had options that were so technical that I didn't wanted to expose them on the GUI setup and were only available through command line configuring. 😁

VEG wrote:
NFS3 also has similar problem sometimes: http://veg.by/z/2016-03-26-09-42-16-75b11396.jpg dgVoodoo 2.51, Glide 3x Napalm, 32bpp. […]
Show full quote
De-M-oN wrote:

Headlight problem is also present on NFS 4.

NFS3 also has similar problem sometimes:
2016-03-26-09-42-16-75b11396.jpg
dgVoodoo 2.51, Glide 3x Napalm, 32bpp. 16bpp works nice in this case. DX renderers also have this problem on some systems, but on my PC they work without this graphical glitch (I had tested DX6 and DX6+dgVoodoo).

Z-fighting. When I debugged this issue I found that projected headlights was drawn onto the road without any z-bias (or 'polygon offset' in OpenGL terms) by the game.
Implicitly the game utilized that the z-values of the headlight polygons, that got mapped (and so truncated) onto the inaccurate 16bit z-buffer interval, matched the ones of the road already in the z-buffer (and correctly passes the LESSEQUAL depth test).
If a 24 or 32 bit z-buffer is used then extra 8bit is present so it's accurate enough to have the z-fighting issue. That's why '16 bit depth buffer' as an option is present, to avoid such cases.
On the other hand, when a Glide game applies w-buffering (as most of them do), which is not supported by any present day hardware, not even by DX11, w-values have to be transformed into a usual z-curve. 16 bit z-buffer is very inaccurate for this, that's why dgvoodoo always uses a 24 bit one internally (by default).

De-M-oN wrote:

A friend tried to run NFS 1 SE with dgvoodoo, but the game doesnt even start, he said. The only way to run it was for him to use virtualbox with Win95.

I'm not sure if it's related to the graphics. NFS1 is old enough to have other system incompatibilities but I want to check it myself.

VEG wrote:

But Glide API has many limitations, so I would like to have a cool DX renderer in the NFS3 patch also.

Isn't the DX6 renderer cool enough? 😀
When I play that game I simply use DX6 (since you fixed the fog) and don't mess with Glide.
(But, it's now true in general for the most cases: if a game has a proper DX6/7 renderer then those are what I use. Glide is only better (or seems to be only) when the game is so old that it has no hw renderer, or only a very dated one driving DX3/5 and draws polygons with a simple 'vertex color * texture color' shading. Because that was the least common capability that all early hw supported... 😀 )

dx8gamer wrote:

Red Faction 2 texture missing (but not sure if it is a texture problem or a polygon culling problem).

Tested with dgVoodoo 2.51 on win8.1 x64 (nVidia GTX 760M), just at the very beginning of first level.

screen shot: http://www.mediafire.com/view/47wwc34f8an3hw3 … 02-39-51-40.png

Ah, thanks! I fixed it. It's not culling problem tough but texture palette problem. It can be workarounded with 2.51 by playing the game through the ATI 8500 preset to avoid paletted textures.

ZellSF wrote:
Populous the Beginning is acting different in 2.51 in a weird way. […]
Show full quote

With 2.45 you had to force a refresh rate or it would run out of video memory when doing resolution changes.

2.51 still has that problem, but now forcing refresh rates really screws up the resolution. It seems to use the resolution you select, downsampled to a 640x480 window.

With Aspect Ratio emulation it works, but this breaks post-process AA (driver or reshade based), so somehow dgVoodoo2 seems to be misinterpreting the game's mode changes.

Hmm... Only 640x480 and 800x600 are offered by the game. Is it enough to force the refresh rate, choose 800x600 in the game options and enter a gameplay to have this issue?

Glurak wrote:
Tahts not really the case glide has more bugs now than before )you can use wrapper with the command line -3dfx […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

Diablo 2 problems are now solved by Blizzard itself, with 1.14a patch 😁

Tahts not really the case glide has more bugs now than before )you can use wrapper with the command line -3dfx

the sven wrapper works fine again with a new hotfix but blizzard will give more fixes for glide soon.

But i would be very happy when dgvoodoo would work with DIablo 2

Does this affect the 1.14a patch only? I haven't installed that one (frankly, I don't even know what that patch is about: the game still sticks to Glide or a modern DX renderer is included?) and have no graphical issues. Could you post a screenshot plz?

Edit: I still had no much time for dgVoodoo recently so there is no progress on Starwars and NFS3 Alt-tabbing. 🙁
All I could do so far is downloading D3D8 scene demos for increasing D3D8 test base and fixing bugs (in the hope of some DX8 game bugs get fixed as a side effect).

Reply 1745 of 3949, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I play that game I simply use DX6 (since you fixed the fog) and don't mess with Glide.

NFS 3 and 4 look better with Glide
Also: menu of nfs 4 runs at D3D only with 640x480 while it runs on Glide with the ingame resolution. The menu changes between menus much faster too. And on top of that it is graphically slightly upgraded on Glide. NFS Porsche is the first NFS where D3D looks indeed the same.

Reply 1746 of 3949, by vis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Thanks for the reports, guys!

vis wrote:

Well, dege i have new things to report : O hehehe : on ver 2.5 and 2.51 , game Turok 2 SoE works fine in window mode, nice fps boost vs orginal dx mode, even with dxtory it shows progress (can record with rbg color space vs native dx mode where i had fps drops if i lift up quality ) Plus, included D3DCompiler_43 alowing me to use older nvidia drivers ( one with maximum pre-rendered frames 0) without reported color bug : ) Now about negative aspect with 2.5x ver: i know why mouse was moving automatic! If i, in dgvoodoo configurator, uncheck option 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state' then mouse problem is solved, in Turok 2. I tested it in 2.45 ver to, and geting same result. Now when i select 'Aplication controlled fullscreen/window state' with it, it all works perfect in 2.45 ver, in fullscreen to. In 2.5 ver , same combo, makes weard bugs, when i minimasing, maximasing, game window stuck, random crashing to. In 2.51 ver, i couldn't do fullscreen test, because is broken for T2 : I. It just loads with black screen. Well, here link for T2 demo: https://archive.org/details/turok2demo
So you can test with it to, ty. One observacion more: i not sure if you know, but T2 needs one core affinity to be stable, because T2 have many critical bugs on modern multicore cpu (we play it with fix from here: http://ctpax-cheater.losthost.org/htmldocs/turok.htm search for : Turok 2: Seeds of Evil CD Music Patch v2 ) so, maybe, your dll's not like case when game use only one cpu core. I hope, this info will be of help for future testing. Hu : )

But, I've just tested both Turok 2 Demo and full game with 2.51 and it seems to work very fine. No black screens, tried with various options you mentioned.
Till 2.5 there was a bug present which indeed caused auto-moving cursor in Turok2 but I fixed it in 2.51 (it also caused minor anomalies in Croc and South Park).

Yes, only things that go on my mind now, are: T2 game not have real fullscreen on win 8-10, maybe that making confusion about valid results. Did you use win 7? (i did used win 8-10 for test, to. And only on win 7, of that 3 OS, game had fullscreen without anomaly (for win 8-10 fullscreen= window maximased; no mater if your program used or normal way)) Next: I have older gpu, gtx 460 and i tested with old, middle old and latest drivers, same result on end. Again, which gpu you used, maybe gpu architecture making difference? : ( And i not sure in one thing more: can clean windows make difference to, because, i remember, i not had some bugs with 2.5 ver, when i had many dll's from diff. steam games, so maybe it was in synergy with your program (example: directx dll's)? Suma sumarum: i hope, i will get fullscreen exp. on clean win 7 sp1 installation, with game exe using one cpu core, with next setup:

dgvood11.png

dgvood12.png

Well, tnx.

Reply 1747 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Populous the Beginning is acting different in 2.51 in a weird way. […]
Show full quote

Hmm... Only 640x480 and 800x600 are offered by the game. Is it enough to force the refresh rate, choose 800x600 in the game options and enter a gameplay to have this issue?

Interesting question, so I checked with 800x600.

800x600 gets rendered in 640x480, regardless of refresh rate forcing. In fact most resolutions do.

But I use a Nvidia custom resolution, and when you use custom resolutions is when something weird happens with refresh rate forcing. With those resolutions and no forced refresh rate the game renders properly (for one level, then it crashes at level transitions). With forced refresh rate they get the same problem as "regular" resolutions.

That's might be irrelevant anyway, since if the forced 640x480 problem is fixed then you can fix Populous the Beginning by forcing refresh rate again (for now you can just use an old version). I just thought it weird behavior indicative of something being wrong.

So TL;DR: yes run the game without any resolution mods at 640x480 and switch to 800x600 (should be easier to see the difference if you switch while ingame) and you should notice something is not right.

Reply 1748 of 3949, by W00fer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those of you who are questioning on Michelin Rally Masters, with 2.51 it works for me after:

-Updating my video drivers to 364.51 to support DX11
-Setting dgVoodoo to GeForce 4 Ti 4800 -> crucial otherwise you will end up with crashes and missing textures in menu and no visual effects
-PAL8 textures do not work on the DGVoodoo Virtual 3D accelerated, you then get white boxes around the taillights of the cars and brakelights.
-On ATI 8500 setting the game crashes in the car selection menu.
-Anti Aliasing can be set to 8x MSAA

Game exe version: 2.9 as the 3.2 version (Myth) does not give correct audio in multiplayer and has screwed up visuals in single player.
You can use the overall 3.2 files

*Tire smoke works
*Taillights work
*Damage HUD works
*Hud icons when you switch the camera work
*Game runs in 55-60 FPS

3NxdF90.jpg

Reply 1749 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Yes, it have same gameplay graphics now, but for some reason it renders blurred fonts as I had shown before. Also it doesn't restore textures after minimizing. But it will be fixed by “windowed-fullscreen” mode (experimental implementation is mostly ready). Or maybe your wrapper also can fix it for the modern OS versions 😀

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1750 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, thx for the reports. Altough I already fixed some D3D8 bugs by testing a lot of scene demos (easy background activity at workplace 😀 ), I still haven't dealt with game specific issues you reported.
At first, I want to finish Quartz/GDI interaction support because it involves changes that may break other things. When it's ready then I can release new wips again.

@Woofer
Rally Masters is broken since dgVoodoo Virtual 3D card supports new texture formats (A8, L8, ...) as it is with a real DX driver. Unfortunately it must be played through ATI or Gf preset (I cannot remember which one).

@VEG
You wrote I had to remove nfs3.ini from the game folder for Alt-Tabbing. Did a quick try but it didn't work for me (using your latest patch advertising Alt-Tab support). 😖
What do I do wrong? It doesn't matter what renderer I use, with or without nfs3.ini, Alt-Tabbing is simply disabled.

Reply 1751 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

@VEG
You wrote I had to remove nfs3.ini from the game folder for Alt-Tabbing. Did a quick try but it didn't work for me (using your latest patch advertising Alt-Tab support). 😖
What do I do wrong? It doesn't matter what renderer I use, with or without nfs3.ini, Alt-Tabbing is simply disabled.

Took a quick look. The compatibility tool checks for nfs3.ico not nfs3.ini.

Reply 1753 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

@VEG

Sorry, my bad. I had meant nfs3.ico =) Windows uses it as a detector of an original NFS3 installation and automatically disables Alt+Tab and other keystrokes that can minimize the game. And yes, nfs3.ini have to be in the game directory because it is used by the game for reading ThrashDriver name (but DX6 is used by default if nfs3.ini isn't found).

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1754 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:

Took a quick look. The compatibility tool checks for nfs3.ico not nfs3.ini.

Thanks, indeed... 😊 😊

VEG wrote:
Dege wrote:

@VEG

Sorry, my bad. I had meant nfs3.ico =) Windows uses it as a detector of an original NFS3 installation and automatically disables Alt+Tab and other keystrokes that can minimize the game. And yes, nfs3.ini have to be in the game directory because it is used by the game for reading ThrashDriver name (but DX6 is used by default if nfs3.ini isn't found).

For some reason, alt-tabbing works properly for me if 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state' option is enabled (by default).
And I get an internal deadlock when it's disabled (as you said previously, thread of the rendering window is different than the rendering thread itself... and DXGI provides some titbits for those cases...).
Anyway, I fixed it. Do you disable the 'Disable Alt-Enter to...' option in the config file for NFS3?
It's not recommended because if that option is disabled then DirectDraw never gets into lost state, so if an app only checks the DDraw cooperative level (but not the app focus) then it can crank the CPU at max speed, rendering into the void.

Reply 1755 of 3949, by SolivaN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

I've a problem with dgVoodoo 2

I've tested from the 2.43 to latest 2.51 version and this can't recognize my video card 😢

Look:

dgVodoo GTX 260 - 216 shaders.png
Filename
dgVodoo GTX 260 - 216 shaders.png
File size
49.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My video card is a Zotac Geforce GTX 260 - 216 Shaders version

So, anybody knows if there is a problem with compatibility between dgVoodoo 2 and my video card?

Any sugestion?

Please! Halp! 😵

Reply 1758 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh...it says so right on the dege website. You can't miss it

(unless of course you're using it through someone's genius "win 7 game patch" that bundles it without notice/credit/etc)

Also DX10.0 cards are turning 10 years old this year!! An excuse to upgrade! 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1759 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SolivaN wrote:

Where can I find the documentation?

There are 3 Readmes included with the download. One of them contains this:

3. Requirements --------------- […]
Show full quote

3. Requirements
---------------

- Operating system: Windows Vista/7/8/10 with DirectX11 installed.
- Hardware: GPU supporting DirectX feature level 10.1.