VOGONS

Reply 60 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Typing this from Windows ME, Netscape. My Ethernet works for sure! Just need to figure out why my laptop's wireless won't work. What am I missing? I installed the driver for my broadcom, do I need something like an adapter? A manager???

Personal Blog

Reply 61 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I have time this evening I will try the BCM9460x driver you posted.

Unlike the ethernet which tends to work regardless of client software, the wireless absolutely needs a client program, something to manage your wireless connection. Everyone loved Windows XP partly because it included generic wireless client software. No such thing exists for 2000, ME, 98SE and so on. The device manufacturer has to provide client software along with the driver.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 62 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the Intel proset utility will work with the Broadcom adapter. Open it up and see if it gives you any settings. And you still might need to install tcp/ip for that adapter.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 63 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

When I have time this evening I will try the BCM9460x driver you posted.

Unlike the ethernet which tends to work regardless of client software, the wireless absolutely needs a client program, something to manage your wireless connection. Everyone loved Windows XP partly because it included generic wireless client software. No such thing exists for 2000, ME, 98SE and so on. The device manufacturer has to provide client software along with the driver.

After doing a bit of research, the BCM94309MP card is more related to a Dell TrueMobile 1400 card. I'm not sure if this will work, right now I'm researching and hadn't installed any other driver yet besides the one linked

Not sure if this driver is trustworthy in terms of saying its compatible with 98SE/ME... http://www.windowspedia.net/drivers-tag/netwo … get-247490.html

FOUND ONE THAT RECOGNIZED A DELL TRUEMOBILE 1400 DUEL BAND WLAN MINI-PC CARD!!! (Hard to look real hard for Broadcom drivers!!!) But it has an error in the Device Manager..."The NDIS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)."
Broadcom BCM57xx
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/i … formation/2909/

The TCP/IP is automatically installed for the wireless!!! I just need to find a utility which will allow me to manage to connections! The intel pro doesn't work...the broadcom one is meant for XP only so...I guess I'll keep on looking. I'm considering to install KernelEx, then try to install the driver, but its probably not gonna work. I tried kernelex with many drivers before and none ended up working

I'm testing Dell OpenManage Client right now, so far installing it doesn't make anything appear and I can't find the program itself...

Personal Blog

Reply 64 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly I only have negatives to report here tonight.

I put XP SP3 on an extra HDD in this Dell Latitude D600 to double check the O2Micro cardbus adapter. Sadly, it is different from any of the drivers I found for it. The Latitude D600 has a O2 Micro OZ711EC1, the driver in the zip I posted earlier covers the OZ6326 and similar I think. You could try using them, but I don't think they work as intended.

As for the wireless, I have tried several different client programs, none recognize the wireless card. I seem to be using a different driver than you are. I got it off some off-brand broadcom-based wireless PC card. I wish I could be more exact, but my source is generic in this case. Unless we can find a client program, the drivers are pretty much useless.

I think your best bet is to buy an Intel PRO Wireless 2100 card off eBay, those seem to have 98SE / ME drivers.

Reply 65 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:
Sadly I only have negatives to report here tonight. […]
Show full quote

Sadly I only have negatives to report here tonight.

I put XP SP3 on an extra HDD in this Dell Latitude D600 to double check the O2Micro cardbus adapter. Sadly, it is different from any of the drivers I found for it. The Latitude D600 has a O2 Micro OZ711EC1, the driver in the zip I posted earlier covers the OZ6326 and similar I think. You could try using them, but I don't think they work as intended.

As for the wireless, I have tried several different client programs, none recognize the wireless card. I seem to be using a different driver than you are. I got it off some off-brand broadcom-based wireless PC card. I wish I could be more exact, but my source is generic in this case. Unless we can find a client program, the drivers are pretty much useless.

I think your best bet is to buy an Intel PRO Wireless 2100 card off eBay, those seem to have 98SE / ME drivers.

Thank you for confirming. We are completely sure Pro Wireless 2100 works with Windows 98SE/ME right? I searched on intel's website for Pro Wireless 2100 and got no results for 98SE/ME, but OS independent??? The only driver I know of that is for 2100 is from Levono, that keenmaster included in his drivers. I just wanna be 100% sure its Windows 98SE/ME compatible, I was a bit bummed out Windows 9x didn't get along too well with the Dell D600 as I thought, and Linksys' cardbus model wpc54g doesn't seem to work either (Although reviews on amazon say it works with Windows ME).

Personal Blog

Reply 66 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, it's 9x compatible, however I don't think I have one here to test and confirm. If the PRO Wireless 2100 is anything like the unidentifiable Atheros/Intel wireless card in my Thinkpad T42, then driver and client support is possible. Usually drivers from other PC vendors will work, they are just repackaging the drivers from the makers of the accessories included with the PC. The PRO Wireless 2100 is all of a few dollars on eBay, not much risk there.

I too tried the Linksys WPC54G driver, no luck with the BCM94603 card.

In all honesty, the only core drivers you really need to consider a laptop (or PC) usable is the motherboard chipset, video and sound. Most everything else besides networking almost always has generic drivers included with 98SE and ME. In that respect, the Dell Latitude D600 is very good, it seems to take to Windows ME without a hitch. I even found a driver for the ethernet. The wireless is thankfully fixable by changing the Mini-PCI card.

I'm thinking of posting a guide and driver download for Windows 98SE / ME on a Thinkpad T42. That ought to be fun.

Reply 67 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After looking at my laptop's driver issues again, it turns out the reason my cardbus isn't working is likely because of the dysfunctional cardbus drivers or PCI drivers? On some installations, plugging in a cardbus during boot will hang Windows ME into a black screen with a movable cursor, when Windows boots with a cardbus inside and works, Windows wouldn't find the proper files for the cardbus, its likely because of something wrong in drivers. In a similar case, Windows 98SE didn't install the audio driver without all updates and kept nagging me to have a file search which would fail.

I got this reply from MSFN forums

"

i too worked with the dell latitude d600 on 98SE, i got all drivers to work, except for the pci cardbus bridge "PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7112" or 7113 and cardbus controller "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10", i tried like the oldest drivers for both, 2-26-02 or somewhere around there for the cardbus bridge and the other one was 10/06/2000,1.03.00.00, but i may have not properly installed the drivers, at least for the cardbus controller portion, i believe that for the "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10" portion, you have to first install scbase.exe, then smclib.exe, then other steps to get it working. for the cardbus bridge, probably have to run o2update.exe to get it work, but i don't know for sure on the process, maybe the drivers arent compatible. here is some information i got below from the "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10" scrreadme portion, although it is meant for the O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader (OZ711E1) reader -

O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader (OZ711E1)

Installation Readme.txt

Win2000 Installation ( V 1,0,0,0 )
----------------------
- Insert the Reader and follow Plug/Play Procedure on the screen.

Win98/Win98SE Installation ( V 1,0 ,0 ,1 )
----------------------

NOte: Since SmartCard is not a standard component of Win98/Win98SE.
please follow the procedure below befor installation.
By the way, the OZ711E1 is not included in the PCMCIA.INF
of Win98/Win98SE, so we need to execute the " O2setup.exe "
in " O2 Cardbus " directory.

- Run SCBASE.EXE FIRST, AND THEN SMCLIB.EXE on scbase directory.
- Insert the Reader and follow Plug/Play Procedure on the screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO from the "readme"-

Installing SmartCard driver procedure on Microsoft Windows 9x :
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The Smart Card driver is only for Notebook PC models with support for Smart Cards.
If your Notebook PC does not support Smart Cards, do not install the Smart Card driver.

1. Run CDROM Driver:\SmartCard\Path\Win9XME\SCBASE.EXE

2. Run CDROM Driver:\SmartCard\Path\Win9XME\SMCLIB.EXE

3. Insert Smartcard after install above program.

4 Double-click the System icon in the Control Panel.

5. Click on "Device Manager" tab in System Properties.

6. Double-click on "O2Micro-SmartCardBus Reader"

7. Click on "Driver" tab, and click on "Update Driver" icon.

8. Click on "Next" twice.

9. Select "Specify a location:" only and click on "Browse..."

10. Please Select the Driver location. (example CDROM Drive:\SmartCard\711Driver\WIN98SE)

11. Click on "OK" button and click "Next" twice to start driver install.

12. Click on "Finish" and Reboot system to finish driver installation."
-cov3rt

I'm gonna try this tomorrow

Personal Blog

Reply 68 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did he specify where to obtain the driver versions he's using, or will any "O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader" driver work here?

Reply 69 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Did he specify where to obtain the driver versions he's using, or will any "O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader" driver work here?

I think we're supposed to use the one he mentioned. I'll go ask

A friendly member of MSFN linked me to this https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3566
The official drivers of my broadcom wireless card didn't work, but so far this has no issues. He modified them himself, now I just need to find how to connect to a network

Personal Blog

Reply 70 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:
I think we're supposed to use the one he mentioned. I'll go ask […]
Show full quote
notsofossil wrote:

A friendly member of MSFN linked me to this https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3566
The official drivers of my broadcom wireless card didn't work, but so far this has no issues. He modified them himself, now I just need to find how to connect to a network

https://web.archive.org/web/20050825192047/ht … ic/Downloads.do
WPA client! (Sadly not WPA2) I'm going to test this in a second, the same member linked me to this.

Personal Blog

Reply 71 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:
I think we're supposed to use the one he mentioned. I'll go ask […]
Show full quote
notsofossil wrote:

Try Mcafee Wireless Security, its WSC taken over by Mcafee, but it should work since its still free
https://web.archive.org/web/20050825192047/ht … ic/Downloads.do

Boingo Wireless (Mostly WEP, but supports WPA if your adapter supports it I think, later versions do support WPA2
unfortunately, I cannot find any archived old versions for Windows 9x though)
http://web.archive.org/web/20060301104834/htt … m/download.html

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2016-04-12, 22:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog

Reply 72 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried the wireless security client, yes it recognizes the broadcom adapter with the modded driver you linked, but it always wants to use the "WSC Guard" authentication software, which doesn't work unless you are a registered member... So it's useless to me. It's a shame too, because aside from the security BS, it would work great.

I'll try looking around for that Biongo Wireless Utility.

Reply 73 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

I tried the wireless security client, yes it recognizes the broadcom adapter with the modded driver you linked, but it always wants to use the "WSC Guard" authentication software, which doesn't work unless you are a registered member... So it's useless to me. It's a shame too, because aside from the security BS, it would work great.

-Biongo 1.5 (Not WPA2 compatible, could only use WEP...)
-WSC Guard 4.0 (Supports WPA, but not WPA2)
Try McAfee Wireless Security if you're having issues with WSC
-McAfee Wireless Security 4.1 (Supports WPA, but not WPA2) https://web.archive.org/web/20070116033111/ht … ic/Downloads.do
-Odyssey Client Manager 4.52 (Last version to support Windows 98SE/ME, started to include WPA2 in version 3.1 http://www.zdnet.com/article/funk-brings-in-the-wpa2/, costs money for a license or something)

Internet Archive is our friend! All of these should be free except the Odyssey

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2016-04-12, 22:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog

Reply 74 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Try Mcafee Wireless Security, its WSC taken over by Mcafee, but it should work since its still free
https://web.archive.org/web/20070116033111/ht … ic/Downloads.do

Boingo Wireless (Mostly WEP, but supports WPA if your adapter supports it I think, later versions do support WPA2
unfortunately, I cannot find any archived old versions for Windows 9x though)
http://web.archive.org/web/20060301104834/htt … m/download.html

Personal Blog

Reply 75 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent detective work there, I'll try those out when I have some time, thanks.

I guess aside from the cardbus and the wireless, the Dell Latitude D600 can be almost completely compatible with Windows ME. I for one would much rather have WinME instead of 2000 or XP on a Pentium M laptop, such a machine gets more out of an older OS like ME, I'd rather put XP on a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo machine.

Reply 76 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Excellent detective work there, I'll try those out when I have some time, thanks.

I guess aside from the cardbus and the wireless, the Dell Latitude D600 can be almost completely compatible with Windows ME. I for one would much rather have WinME instead of 2000 or XP on a Pentium M laptop, such a machine gets more out of an older OS like ME, I'd rather put XP on a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo machine.

There's only one more issue that occurs; the usb cursor won't move during a process like transfering a file? Something like that. There's not a single conflict in the IDE, only the primary IDE seems to have an issue so I disabled it and only allowed the secondary IDE. Maybe its the battery that's 11 years old, inside ny laptop

If I try to redo this laptop with Windows 98SE, I'm gonna try the killer replacements 98SE2ME

Personal Blog

Reply 77 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not the battery, I can tell you that. Windows 98, in my experience, though, is notorious for only paying attention to one thing at a time, i.e. if you're copying files the mouse cursor will either not respond properly or lock up. And forget about trying to copy files and play games at the same time 🤣 At least, that's what's happened to me.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 78 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 9x is known to be only be capable of semi-multitasking. Yes, it can run multiple programs at once, but CPU priority will be given to the currently active window (colored title bar). I've had moderate success running Skype, FIrefox and VLC at the same time, but VLC sometimes pauses and gets slow if Firefox is busy loading a page.

Reply 79 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a driver download for installing Windows 98SE or Windows Me on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.

Dell-Latitude-D600.jpg

NOTE:

All the drivers posted here were located through extensive google searching and vogons.org user JiaoTongNan, Dell does not support Windows 98SE or Windows Me on this laptop model.

DISCLAIMER:

I have only tested Windows Me at this point in time, however, the drivers and instructions posted here should be compatible Windows 98SE. If you encounter missing CD drivers when installing 98SE, you'll have to devise a way to get the motherboard driver into the hard drive so 98SE can install it and get the CD drive working, be it editing the hard drive externally or installing an inappropriate CD driver. The rest of the drivers should work fine. I may later update this thread with 98SE instructions too.

Most of the drivers make no mention of Windows 95 or Windows 98FE, I have no idea if those will work.

I don't know if Dell offered the Dell D600 in different configurations, like with a Radeon 7500 instead of a 9000. Some of the drivers here may work on similar Latitude models, like the D800, but I know those usually shipped with a GeForce 4200 Ti card instead.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7teli2255px … _Drivers_V2.zip

Drivers included
Motherboard (Intel 855PM infinst_autol.exe infinst_enu.exe)
Video (ATi Radeon 9000 ts1 vid8 radeon9000.exe)
Sound (Sigmatel C-Major.exe)
Ethernet (Broadcom BCM5787)
Wireless (Broadcom 43xx + boingo wireless)

Not included
Modem
Cardbus

INSTRUCTIONS:

Included with the .zip file. I left the names of the drivers unedited so they are more recognizable.

Everything included should install without a hitch, except the ATi Radeon 9000 driver. You will have to manually install the display driver. If using Windows Me, you'll have to force it to accept the driver as it doesn't have a digital certificate from Microsoft. I also forgot to remove the reference to the cardbus driver I previously included, I don't think it's the right one.

Out of all the drivers, the broadcom wireless was the hardest to find. Thanks to JiaoTongNan, we now have a driver and a wireless client program for it.

Contents of instructions.txt

Dell Latitude D600
Windows 9x
Instructions:

Intel 855PM:

Run infinst_autol.exe or infinst_enu.exe. to fix ide channel driver, go to device manager, ide channel properties, resources, uncheck automatic settings, entry in the bottom of the list, edit, go up in addresses until one with no conflicts is found (e.g. 00EF - 00FF). Restart. IDE channel should appear as generic, but it will work fine.

ATi Radeon 9000:

unpack "ts1 vid8 radeon9000", first install display driver using device manager. Go to display properties, update driver, specify location, choose driver from list, have disk, find inf in unpacked folder. Run Control Panel setup.exe to finish.

Sigmatel C-Major:

run "sigmatel c-major.exe"

Broadcom Ethernet:

unpack "bcm5787 9.81" or 10.24, install driver using device manager. Go to pci ethernet adapter properties, specify location, choose driver from list, have disk, find inf in unpacked folder. There isn't a client, but the ethernet controller will work silently.

Broadcom Wireless:

Unpack "broadcom mini pci win9x bcm49xx", use device manager to manually install driver like above. Then install "boingoinstaller".

Cardbus:

"pcmciaaw98", this driver didn't work too well for me, but I'm including it anyway as it's better than nothing.

Drivers not included:

Modem

notsofossil

notsofossil