VOGONS

First post, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm setting up all the Glide API games I please on my 300Mhz Pentium box (a Tillamook turned into a desktop chip in a SS7 board, ask if you want more details), and it runs 98se with a Diamond Monster Voodoo II 12MB.

It seems almost all of the games I've tried to install so far want a Voodoo original, and refuse to detect the card - this means I have to manually copy files and reconfigure stuff to run with Glide in some cases, notably Pandemonium and Pandemonium 2. While Pandemonium original worked in Glide after some modification, its sequel had no such luck. The installer has a 3dfx checkbox but no files on the disk specific to 3dfx (unlike the original Pandemonium, which had a separate PANDY3.EXE and batch file for it which I could copy manually after the installation).

That said, the game runs fine, but there's no 3dfx splash screen so I'm forced to assume it's running in D3D or something on either the main video card or the V2.

Can anyone advise? Confirm that not seeing the splash screen must mean it's not using Glide (I made sure the no splash variable is set to 0 just in case).

Reply 1 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pandemonium 2 is glide only. There is no ddraw/d3d/ogl renderers, only glide. So - there is 1 executable only.
Original Pandemonium! is software/glide so there are 2 executables.
The 3dfx splash screen isn't automatic, the game call it manually with the _grSplash function. Plus you need corresponding .dll (3dfxspl2.dll/3dfxspl3.dll) in the %system% directory.
If you want to be 100% sure - just unplug the pass-through cable.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe tillamook disables cache on desktop boards. 300mhz can be done with a normal mmx and a super7 board and i think it is faster.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 4, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for answering my question about Pandemonium 2 - I did know that it was supposed to be Glide only but I didn't know if what I'd read was accurate or up-to-date. I'll start a new thread about that box so we can discuss the interesting hardware I have in there. ;3